Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always kept my battery attached to a Battery Tender. Never a problem. I go to start it the other day and it lights up normally but when I hit the starter button, it tries to turn over but won’t. I try again and I get a loud ‘pop’ directly beneath the seat. I checked all my fuses and they’re good. Evidently my battery shorted out internally. Replaced it with a new Duracell Ultra AGM.

I bought a new Battery Tender also. I’ve always kept my bikes on a tender so I don’t think the constant trickle charging caused the battery to dry itself

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
I’ve always kept my battery attached to a Battery Tender. Never a problem. I go to start it the other day and it lights up normally but when I hit the starter button, it tries to turn over but won’t. I try again and I get a loud ‘pop’ directly beneath the seat. I checked all my fuses and they’re good. Evidently my battery shorted out internally. Replaced it with a new Duracell Ultra AGM.

I bought a new Battery Tender also. I’ve always kept my bikes on a tender so I don’t think the constant trickle charging caused the battery to dry itself

Trickle chargers can destroy batteries. The worst thing that can be done is a constant charge on a battery. A 'real" battery tender only charges that battery when it falls below a certian threshold.

The Deltran battery tenders are good for this. But not all are equal. But 3 years is pretty good for a battery.

·
Bronze member
3,158 Posts
Same battery in my 15,never on a tender,still good.
Got a Walmart battery in my hd,just charge it when it's dead,and off it goes.cant remember how old that is.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Why the Duracell Ultra AGM ?

·
Rider
1,030 Posts
If I can get more than 3 years from a battery I feel fortunate, I keep mine on a battery tender jr. Friend of mine just replaced his battery after 15 yrs, I was shocked, he said it was always on a battery tender when he wasn't riding the bike...pretty unusual I know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts