Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my 2016 Indian Vintage on the HWY @ 75 MPH, when the bike suddenly lost its power and I could not maintain speed. I was able to get off the highway, and get home ( I was close). I had a "Check-Engine" code of "2348" ( Headlamp issue). I got home, checked my lights and noticed one of the fog lights was burned out. I replaced the fog light ( I had a spare, don't ask me why) and the bike started up fine and I rode it for about 15 miles without issue.

My question is why did the bike lose its power? Did it go into a "reduced power mode" as a result of the headlamp issue? It does not sound practical, but I am not an Indian-Motorcycle engineer.

I have been unable to reproduce the power loss issue after replacing the fog-light.

Specs:
2016 Indian Vintage
14K Miles
Freedom Performance Pipes
Well taken care of...

One last thing, how do I CLEAR THE ERROR CODE?

Please let me know if you have any ideas...thanks in advance!

Robert
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 11.46.51 PM.png

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It sounds like you went into limp mode, but how the light caused it is strange. Limp mode means the computer thinks the motor is compromised, not the overall bike, so there might be another code in there relating to a motor fault.

You can clear the fault on the roadside by cycling the ignition button and motor start four or five times.
You need to do the whole thing - Ignition on, start motor, stop motor, ignition off. Repeat until the warning light no longer appears.

The dealer will be able to chase up historic codes and check whether there was another fault happening.

Here's a question for you. When it failed, were you under heavy acceleration and high rpm? If so, this recent thread might give you so further info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you went into limp mode, but how the light caused it is strange. Limp mode means the computer thinks the motor is compromised, not the overall bike, so there might be another code in there relating to a motor fault.

You can clear the fault on the roadside by cycling the ignition button and motor start four or five times.
You need to do the whole thing - Ignition on, start motor, stop motor, ignition off. Repeat until the warning light no longer appears.

The dealer will be able to chase up historic codes and check whether there was another fault happening.

Here's a question for you. When it failed, were you under heavy acceleration and high rpm? If so, this recent thread might give you so further info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr.Shifty,
Thank you for the response and clarity...

To answer your question, I was going 75 MPH @ roughly 2800 rpm / 6th gear, and was not driving the bike hard...I did notice that I my bike has been “Missing” more frequently since my last gas fill-up, I am wondering if that could have been the issue? My fog light just does not make sense per your message, I could not agree more, perhaps that was just a coincidence.
I will take your advice and clear my “Check engine” tomorrow morning.

Very best,

Robert

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It sounds like you had some bad fuel. When the engine starts missing it can be picked up by the knock sensor. Too many faults in quick succession and the computer thinks it's getting dangerous. Topping up with a known good fuel supply is the answer, but not always easy out on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts