Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Read Only
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's hear from members that have recently purchased the new 2016 Indian Scout models with factory ABS brakes and what their opinion is of the braking power and safety aspects. Under what conditions did you have to apply your brakes heavily to safely stop?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Let's hear from members that have recently purchased the new 2016 Indian Scout models with factory ABS brakes and what their opinion is of the braking power and safety aspects. Under what conditions did you have to apply your brakes heavily to safely stop?
You might get some better answers from some of our overseas friends.
Nearly all of them have been using the ABS Scouts for about 6 or 7 months.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
You might get some better answers from some of our overseas friends.
Nearly all of them have been using the ABS Scouts for about 6 or 7 months.
Not nearly all Ronnie, every single one! (LOL) Early in the piece when my headlight was way too low like about the third day I had had the bike I was travelling to work in the dark. Low and behold a black dog enters my meague light and froze! I immediately cranked on both brakes stopping about an inch or two of the still petriffied dog. He then ran off. So yes, ABS works. No lock up no smoke as would have the case had I had conventional brakes.
Alpal

Reactions: cyndi and DocBuck

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Not nearly all Ronnie, every single one! (LOL) Early in the piece when my headlight was way too low like about the third day I had had the bike I was travelling to work in the dark. Low and behold a black dog enters my meague light and froze! I immediately cranked on both brakes stopping about an inch or two of the still petriffied dog. He then ran off. So yes, ABS works. No lock up no smoke as would have the case had I had conventional brakes.
Alpal
There you go Commander Cody, straight from the ABS users mouth...er ah... keyboard! :D

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I don't know about the Scout, but my Chieftain I tried out early on in gravel. I thought it worked great. Had a couple of stops where I could feel it engage and I feel good about it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm an "oversea" driver.....during the 5 months of driving my Scout ( before I switched to a Chieftain ) I've only been twice in a situation where my ABS got into function. It worked perfectly ( like in my car ) and gave me some extra confidence in this wonderful bike!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm in France and had my Scout since March. Brakes have been superb. ABS all the way for me. That said, old habits die hard, and I always try to engine brake and rely on other techniques, before panicking on the brakes - better to avoid if possible the situation in the first place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alpal
I just purchases a 2016 Indian Scout with ABS and as a new rider I can say I like the brakes a lot. Of course only other motorcycle I've rode was a Honda rebel at my class so I may not know the difference. But, I can say I like having them on my bike and felt as a new, still learning rider it would be best for me to have all the extra help I could get. lol They stop and that's what I need.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Brakes are good. I know of 2 instances where the ABS kicked in and saved me. One I was coming down a steep hill to a stop light and there was sand I couldn't see at the bottom. Wouldn't have ever known if I didn't feel the pulse, but who knows what would have happened if I didn't have ABS.

Another I was on some very tight/technical twisties and came into a corner way too fast, was able to hard break before leaning and definitely felt the ABS kick in there as well.

I bought my scout specifically because it had ABS. I came from a Victory Vegas and after 3 very close sliding emergency stops in a single week (cars pulling in front of me) and not having ABS, I traded it that week for the scout. I will never buy another bike without it. I'm already at 12k miles since April, so even though I have a car, it's still my primary means of transportation, mainly because i can split through heavy LA traffic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brakes are good. I know of 2 instances where the ABS kicked in and saved me. One I was coming down a steep hill to a stop light and there was sand I couldn't see at the bottom. Wouldn't have ever known if I didn't feel the pulse, but who knows what would have happened if I didn't have ABS.

Another I was on some very tight/technical twisties and came into a corner way too fast, was able to hard break before leaning and definitely felt the ABS kick in there as well.

I bought my scout specifically because it had ABS. I came from a Victory Vegas and after 3 very close sliding emergency stops in a single week (cars pulling in front of me) and not having ABS, I traded it that week for the scout. I will never buy another bike without it. I'm already at 12k miles since April, so even though I have a car, it's still my primary means of transportation, mainly because i can split through heavy LA traffic.
Good to know they are worth the extra I paid for them. As a new rider anything I can do to make it safer I figure is worth tons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wish they offered the Scout white with ABS. I really wanted that color bike but got the indian red with ABS because it was all they offered on the 2016 models. I know the 2017 are going to have other colors but still not white.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
After trying to avoid commenting here, I feel I must chime in. Is anyone here suggesting that having ABS somehow makes the brakes work better or makes them more effective, as I'd have to disagree. Same is true on cars.

What ABS does is make people who panic and lock up the brakes have a happier experience. If you're new to riding I can get that. If you're a seasoned rider, you don't lock the brakes up. You're trained not to.

I've driven both models and neither one has better braking than the other, the ABS just has rider intervention. On my non-ABS model, I have had many panic stops and have yet to have the brakes lock up and skid. They're a lot better than people give them credit for. All the magazine reviews say similar things.

As for all our foreign friends, let's try and remember that they have not ridden any non-ABS models as they don't get them. They're not allowed to be sold there. Just adding some perspective here.

If you're new, take a rider training course. You'll learn how to get maximum braking without lockup. Even though I've been riding since I was in my teens, I occasionally take courses, and they made us do it over and over and scored us on it. Everyone was doing it well in the end.

Am I against ABS? Of course not. Is it a requirement? No, it isn't.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the 2016 Scout with ABS.

Today, I was riding behind two cars, each at safe distances from each other.

The front car, without signalling, suddenly decided to quickly slow down and turn right.

This caused the second car (the one right in front of me) to jam on his brakes in order to avoid rear-ending the idiot.

I, then, had to brake hard to avoid the rapidly decelerating 2nd car.

I could feel the pulsing as the ABS kicked in and I stopped inches away from the cars bumper.

I have no doubt that if the bike hadn't been so equipped, the front wheel would have locked up and I would have gone down or skidded into him.

If I had not braked that hard I would've just hit him.

The ABS system doesn't improve the drivers riding ability but it definitely will save your ass in certain situations and if it does that, just once, it more than justifies itself.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have a sixty with ABS, my first cruiser with ABS. To me it's just like the other cruisers I've had over the years : weak front brake and reasonable rear brake. On a cruiser I'm probably about 60/40 rear to front braking, on a normal bike the other way round 30/70 rear to front. ABS hasn't cut in for me, I had a couple of rear skids on previous cruisers. Agree with AZmitch ABS not essential, but nice to have for a day when it may help.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Mine has kicked in on a few occasions and I'm glad to have had it. Surprisingly, for me at least, I've still had the rear wheel lock momentarily and slide as well. So it's not fool-proof - or at least Graham-proof!

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Had 6+ Years on Bikes with ABS and do think it is a good thing .. I was well aware of the shortcomings of not having ABS on a Motorcycle but still bought the Scout being aware of it .. If you have it I'm happy for you .. But I did manage to survive 40+ years without it on other rides , including my current 05 Dyna ..

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
I've only had 2 bikes with ABS. And I've never had it kick in unless playing and causing it to. Proper use of brakes and anticipation of what some retard may do works wonders.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts