Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

2016 Scout 60 rear brake pads replacement

255 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  chimmu
I got the EBC 377X as per their docs for my 2016 model. I was able to get the caliper out and had a hard time with the pins. There are 4 of them, two outer and two in the middle underneath and you just need to take these off. I struggled with the outer ones. 🤦‍♂️. You can press the caliper bracket and the outer pins go lower and you can pull the pads out.

The brake line has a clamp held by a screw about a foot from the caliper. Taking this screw off gives you more play to work on the caliper and you don't need to take the exhaust off.

On the caliper, there is a set screw on the outside for the botton two pins which come off and then you can unscrew the pins. I used a C clamp to push the piston back and I was able to replace the pads. Test ride went well. I could smell something hot near the caliper and the rotor felt pretty hot, is this because of the new pads? I will test again and see if this continues.

I searched a lot of posts and YouTube videos for a 2016 Scout but almost all of them had later models. It looks like the 2015 and 2016 models have a different caliper, pins etc. I'm posting it here as it might help others.

I also replaced the front ones with FA672HH and it was not difficult.

Font Advertising Transparency Plastic Publication

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Bumper

Bumper Wood Gas Auto part Automotive tire

Automotive tire Gas Bicycle part Font Electric blue
  • Helpful
Reactions: Charlie Chaplain
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2018 Indian Scout
293 Posts
I got the EBC 377X as per their docs for my 2016 model. I was able to get the caliper out and had a hard time with the pins. There are 4 of them, two outer and two in the middle underneath and you just need to take these off. I struggled with the outer ones. 🤦‍♂️. You can press the caliper bracket and the outer pins go lower and you can pull the pads out.

The brake line has a clamp held by a screw about a foot from the caliper. Taking this screw off gives you more play to work on the caliper and you don't need to take the exhaust off.

On the caliper, there is a set screw on the outside for the botton two pins which come off and then you can unscrew the pins. I used a C clamp to push the piston back and I was able to replace the pads. Test ride went well. I could smell something hot near the caliper and the rotor felt pretty hot, is this because of the new pads? I will test again and see if this continues.

I searched a lot of posts and YouTube videos for a 2016 Scout but almost all of them had later models. It looks like the 2015 and 2016 models have a different caliper, pins etc. I'm posting it here as it might help others.

I also replaced the front ones with FA672HH and it was not difficult.

View attachment 723920

View attachment 723917
View attachment 723919
View attachment 723918
Did you pull apart those pins, clean and lubricate them, as this is a spot where they could be binding. Also, the piston on the caliper needs to be cleaned, and if it has never been done, flush out the old brake fluid. The combination of these three things can have your pads not retracting from your rotor. This is why they smell hot, and your rotors are hot to the touch.
your caliper pins will slide in and out with little effort, if they have been cleaned and lubricated. I like to use Never Seize on them, and burnish it into the metal, then some hi-temp grease inside those boots on the pins.
‘Charlie

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you pull apart those pins, clean and lubricate them, as this is a spot where they could be binding. Also, the piston on the caliper needs to be cleaned, and if it has never been done, flush out the old brake fluid. The combination of these three things can have your pads not retracting from your rotor. This is why they smell hot, and your rotors are hot to the touch.
your caliper pins will slide in and out with little effort, if they have been cleaned and lubricated. I like to use Never Seize on them, and burnish it into the metal, then some hi-temp grease inside those boots on the pins.
‘Charlie
Thanks Charlie, Understood. I cleaned them well (pins and piston) but did not lubricate them. This is my first time tryign this and I'll lubricate them. have not ridden the bike after the test ride. The brake fluid was flushed during the 10K mi service, let me go through the process again.

· Rider
1,500 Posts
Thanks Charlie, Understood. I cleaned them well (pins and piston) but did not lubricate them. This is my first time tryign this and I'll lubricate them. have not ridden the bike after the test ride. The brake fluid was flushed during the 10K mi service, let me go through the process again.
Hint: Get Speed Bleeder (the brand) bleed screws. Easy and great results for the rear brakes on my 2017 Sixty. Better than when the dealer did a flush.

Reactions: Charlie Chaplain

· Rider
1,147 Posts
That red paint may be too thick and cause the pins to bind. Check that and maybe remove some of it where the pins travel. Also, gotta lube the moving parts with high-temp grease (I have some kind of fancy ceramic silicone gel stuff "CRC 05361 Silaramic Brake System Grease", $20 at Amazon). And obviously (but always worth saying out loud): don't get the grease on the pads.

Another good idea while you have things apart: coat the back sides of the new pads with "CRC Disc Brake Quiet" (again, $15 at Amazon). Mine were squealing in low braking stops and this did the trick... though it only lasts a year or two.

And no, I'm not afiliated with CRC... just good experience with their products.

· Rider
1,147 Posts
Hint: Get Speed Bleeder (the brand) bleed screws. Easy and great results for the rear brakes on my 2017 Sixty. Better than when the dealer did a flush.
Be wicked careful not to let air suck into the master cylinder when bleeding the rear brakes... trust me (but search out horror stories on this topic); keep the fluid high in the reservoir.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That red paint may be too thick and cause the pins to bind. Check that and maybe remove some of it where the pins travel. Also, gotta lube the moving parts with high-temp grease (I have some kind of fancy ceramic silicone gel stuff "CRC 05361 Silaramic Brake System Grease", $20 at Amazon). And obviously (but always worth saying out loud): don't get the grease on the pads.

Another good idea while you have things apart: coat the back sides of the new pads with "CRC Disc Brake Quiet" (again, $15 at Amazon). Mine were squealing in low braking stops and this did the trick... though it only lasts a year or two.

And no, I'm not afiliated with CRC... just good experience with their products.
Thanks!
I got this at a local store - Sil-Glyde Silicone Brake Lubricant

· Rider
1,147 Posts
Reactions: chimmu
1 - 10 of 10 Posts