Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

2016 R/M DASHBOARD GLITCH

601 6
I just had the honor of performing a ton of werk; cams, springs,clutch,intake and exhaust. brakes and maintenance on a customer's skoot who is also a forum member here. It was COMPLETELY stock when brought in with about 76,000mls. It was one of the worst case scenarios of corrosion I have seen in 46+ years of werkin on skoots. Just about every fastener had to be wire brushed,& cleaned.

He rode around in SE FLA for about 1-1/2 hrs b4 heading across state to SW FLA. After about 45 minutes on the Alley on his way home he noticed the ENTIRE dashboard was lit up like a Christmas tree. Engine still runnin fine, c/c still werkin. He stopped and hit the kill switch, dash remained lit up. He shut bike off completely at the main switch and powered it back up, dash board went back to normal and remained ok all the way home. In the 1 1/2 yrs he has owned this skoot this never happened.

During the werk I gained access to the battery and made sure all cables were tight.

Anyone experience this? He is now hours away so hopefully the Indian community can help.

THANX

RACNRAY

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
I have had this same issue three times. 2018 RM standard. Dealer can't find anything. My problem is that after stopping the engine with the emergency kill switch it won't start again until a few hours..
I have changed the circuit breakers after the second incident and it happened again for the third time. I have changed the battery 100 km ago and just waiting... fingers crossed...

Keep us posted... I will.

· Super Moderator / Founding Member
5,039 Posts
I just had the honor of performing a ton of werk; cams, springs,clutch,intake and exhaust. brakes and maintenance on a customer's skoot who is also a forum member here. It was COMPLETELY stock when brought in with about 76,000mls. It was one of the worst case scenarios of corrosion I have seen in 46+ years of werkin on skoots. Just about every fastener had to be wire brushed,& cleaned.

He rode around in SE FLA for about 1-1/2 hrs b4 heading across state to SW FLA. After about 45 minutes on the Alley on his way home he noticed the ENTIRE dashboard was lit up like a Christmas tree. Engine still runnin fine, c/c still werkin. He stopped and hit the kill switch, dash remained lit up. He shut bike off completely at the main switch and powered it back up, dash board went back to normal and remained ok all the way home. In the 1 1/2 yrs he has owned this skoot this never happened.

During the werk I gained access to the battery and made sure all cables were tight.

Anyone experience this? He is now hours away so hopefully the Indian community can help.

THANX

RACNRAY
Looking at the attached pic it may be the type of music he is listening to! 😊. Dean

5,039 Posts
Looking at the attached pic it may be the type of music he is listening to! 😊. Dean
Honestly, not wanting to hijack the thread but I Googled the group and listened to the song. It is actually growing on me! I just never heard of them before. Dean

@RACNRAY I would think this is down to the following things. First, I would look at the VCM, ECM and radio head in the fairling for what hard grounds are used per the wiring prints. Floating potential can cause many weird things to happen. From there I would concentrate on the VCM connections. It would be interesting to know when this happens can he still control the radio functions, do the gages all continue to work? This would help isolate the radio head in the fairing from being an issue. Then with the seat removed I would wiggle the wiring harnesses that come out of the VCM and look for any wiring that is chafing on the frame. Anytime you disconnect or remove the battery you are putting some strain on the wiring connections and the wiring itself on the VCM. Hopefully that would lead you down to isolating what the problem would be. Good luck, Dean

· Bronze member
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, not wanting to hijack the thread but I Googled the group and listened to the song. It is actually growing on me! I just never heard of them before. Dean

@RACNRAY I would think this is down to the following things. First, I would look at the VCM, ECM and radio head in the fairling for what hard grounds are used per the wiring prints. Floating potential can cause many weird things to happen. From there I would concentrate on the VCM connections. It would be interesting to know when this happens can he still control the radio functions, do the gages all continue to work? This would help isolate the radio head in the fairing from being an issue. Then with the seat removed I would wiggle the wiring harnesses that come out of the VCM and look for any wiring that is chafing on the frame. Anytime you disconnect or remove the battery you are putting some strain on the wiring connections and the wiring itself on the VCM. Hopefully that would lead you down to isolating what the problem would be. Good luck, Dean
THANKS DEAN, he is also having other weird happenings. I did move the vcm outa the way to gain access to the battery to check the connections. The bike also has inconsistent stalling with the tach jumping and/or going low. His last email he stated pulling in the clutch lever rpm on the tach drop low but i dn't know if it is actually dropping a cyl or just the tach losing rpm. This is a 2016 with 76,000+ miles with so much corrosion all over and to accomplish the werk i did alot of moving stuff around/outa the way was needed. I am gonna have him take the seat off and check the vcm connections.

RACNRAY

Reactions: Dean E

5,039 Posts
THANKS DEAN, he is also having other weird happenings. I did move the vcm outa the way to gain access to the battery to check the connections. The bike also has inconsistent stalling with the tach jumping and/or going low. His last email he stated pulling in the clutch lever rpm on the tach drop low but i dn't know if it is actually dropping a cyl or just the tach losing rpm. This is a 2016 with 76,000+ miles with so much corrosion all over and to accomplish the werk i did alot of moving stuff around/outa the way was needed. I am gonna have him take the seat off and check the vcm connections.

RACNRAY
Good luck, it sounds like this bike spends quite a bit of time out in the elements. Not the bike to do this with. My 15 RM is running strong but it stays indoors when not in use and I am very careful when I do wash it. I'm afraid with all the digital features on this bike and electronics this could be a real challenge. If everything was good before you started on it then I would certainly concentrate on the VCM, even disconnecting each connector and verify the condition of the pins. The issue definitely sounds like a digital bus problem. If that is the case shorting wires and system grounds are your biggest culprits. If this happens again trying to see what else works or does not work might help isolate the the issue.

Had my old Duramax with a low speed single wire databus issue that drove me nuts for sometime. Finally had to get a single channel oscilloscope and a breakout harness to isolate the problem. When the problem occured the truck dash lit up like a Christmas tree with numerous things locked up module wise. Very intermittent so I did things myself because the service center would have been a waste of time. At least here most of your modules are limited to the radio cluster, VCM and ECM. Good luck, Dean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts