Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out of the commonly reported problems with the Scout, throttle surging when you least expect is probably the most serious. I know one 2015 MY bike has been replaced and some others are being looked at, but does anyone know if this problem has been addressed in 2016 MY bikes? If it is still present in 2016 Scout seventy, does the problem exist in Scout sixty?

Scout sixty must use a different ECU map which is why I'm wondering if it has avoided the throttle surge problem.

Any feedback from 2016 MY riders (sixty and seventy models)?

·
Registered
274 Posts
mine has been surging, hanging up, not going back to idle....WHATEVER term one wants to use , for 1 yr now. Took delivery on Jan 4 2015.
I have called the NHSA and reported it, was given a case #.
Have talked to Polaris Hdqtrs and have taken it to a Indian dealer for confirmation of problem . Have been given a case #.
That was 6 months ago and have never heard from either party since then.
Bike still "hangs Up " when slowing to go into a corner. Does not immediately go to idle speed when the throttle is closed....as in "slowing to stop at a light"

Gives one that warm and fuzzy feeling........{sarcasm}

My guess it the F/I is ALSO made in China

·
Bronze member
2,276 Posts
it cannot be only the fueling/mapping ... I suspect "noisy" ground while the engine is running. The TB fly by wire and/or TP sensor would then go crazy and cause such behaviour ...

Am running a Autotune and POD 300 on my Chief ... and while logging TPS I noticed a jumpy signal between 20 and 60 % throttle ... ONLY when the engine is running.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
My understanding on the surge was that it was put in the system to keep the bike from dying while decelerating?!?!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
My understanding on the surge was that it was put in the system to keep the bike from dying while decelerating?!?!
That explanation sounds plain ass ... silly.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a 2016 and only 470 miles on it. The longest trip I took was 80 miles and it was 55 degrees outside. My understanding is that the surge only happens when the bike is warm. If that is true I may not know for sure about it until summer.

I do always downshift when I can to come to a stop. So if it is happening it will happen to me.

Hasn't happened yet because I have been anticipating it.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
out of the commonly reported problems with the Scout, throttle surging when you least expect is probably the most serious. I know one 2015 MY bike has been replaced and some others are being looked at, but does anyone know if this problem has been addressed in 2016 MY bikes? If it is still present in 2016 Scout seventy, does the problem exist in Scout sixty?

Scout sixty must use a different ECU map which is why I'm wondering if it has avoided the throttle surge problem.

Any feedback from 2016 MY riders (sixty and seventy models)?
(69 ers sounds better,)

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
That explanation sounds plain ass ... silly.
No it's not Troop. It is built into the computer system BUT, it can be by-passed. The bike will give a little rev up at around 1650 rpm, so If you are aware of this fact you can by-pass it by, as I do, changing down more quickly through the lower gears. I have no trouble with this built in increase in revs.

The big thing is, are we talking about the same thing? I know Cindy had a surge problem but hers was a whole lot worse than the one I am talking about.
Alpal

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
The big thing is, are we talking about the same thing? I know Cindy had a surge problem but hers was a whole lot worse than the one I am talking about.
Alpal
The Sad part of that problem is have never heard back from Polaris on what was causing this or any remedy's to correct it .. Although was happy to see Cindy get a new ride with a scary problem like that ..

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No it's not Troop. It is built into the computer system BUT, it can be by-passed. The bike will give a little rev up at around 1650 rpm, so If you are aware of this fact you can by-pass it by, as I do, changing down more quickly through the lower gears. I have no trouble with this built in increase in revs.

Alpal
do you mean that slowing down to 1650 it wants to spontaneously increase revs ... to what level?

I hope it's a quirk of EMS that doesn't happen with the sixty??

G

·
Mine has a slight surge when going slow into a corner.IMO, throttle by wire is one of the worst things about a Scout.When i trade bikes in the spring am seriously considering late 90's evolution motor.No FUN at all when entering a slow turn and it surges, surprised there hasn't been more collisions.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

Alpal
Their is no reason in the world, with today's modern EFI technology, that ECU's should need to increase rpm's to to keep a vehicle running during decel. None. Increasing rpm's while decelling to corner, stop, etc can be dangerous. Mine was just a major PIA.

·
10,006 Posts
(69 ers sounds better,)
And a lot more correct too!
One member started this on a thread and for some unknown reason it started a rash of people calling the bike a 70... First time I heard it I didn't even know what bike they were talking about.
Lets keep it right! o_O:eek::(

·
10,006 Posts
Their is no reason in the world, with today's modern EFI technology, that ECU's should need to increase rpm's to to keep a vehicle running during decel. None. Increasing rpm's while decelling to corner, stop, etc can be dangerous. Mine was just a major PIA.
It must have something to do with the whole throttle by wire system, I do know that other motorcycles and even cars with the system all have the same problem in various amounts of surge.

A car or truck with the surge and with a automatic transmission, the problem is hardly noticed, but motorcycles with a standard transmission it almost borderline becomes a safety issue.

Could the surge actually be a patch to cover up a much more dangerous glitch than the surge?!?!
Like the engine dying before the CPU can compensate for the deceleration?!?!?

Just food for thought.... I have no basis for my thoughts sometimes!
This article could help explain it much better than I can....

Stop Watch: Ride-By-Wire Throttle - Sudden Acceleration

The fourth paragraph has some interesting information about the system as a whole for the motorcycle.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
You won't get any argument from me Buddy. Just a way around the problem. Like I said in my previous, I bearly notice it anymore by changing down more rapidly.
Alpal

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had car with the same issue a couple of years ago, and it was a real pain. If it's been written into the software surely it can been taken out with an update, especially if enough people complain, but as suggested earlier, it may be there to compensate for something else. Reading all these posts there are differing degrees of surge, and surely if it's in the program everyone's should surge, and by the same amount? Sorry if this has already been stated elsewhere, not read every thread on the issue.

·
10,006 Posts
Reading all these posts there are differing degrees of surge, and surely if it's in the program everyone's should surge, and by the same amount?
Kind of like..... why some people are bothered by a gnat, while others pay no attention to them?

Some things bother people more than it bothers other people.

I have learned that it is there, I can't do anything about it, so I compensate for it by downshifting or pulling in clutch when it occurs and seldom even notice it any more.

Some people can deal with trifling details or problems, some can't!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts