Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased this bike on 09/01/15. 2016 Indian Scout ABS, Indian red. 132 miles, only gone from the dealership to home, then back to the dealership to have additional accessories installed. Bike With ABS $11,999, leather saddle bags $999.99, spool kit (to add saddle bags) $149.99, highway/crash bars $299.99, reduced reach handle bars $149.99, (have the originals as well), short windshield $475.00, Captain Itch Leather Crotch Cooler with Indian stamp $120.00. Asking $13,700 OBO. I LOVE the looks of this bike, but I am short and have thick thighs that touch the motor and pipes. My husband has an Indian Chief Vintage and loves his. This was my dream bike, but it's not a good fit for me. We are located in Aberdeen, NC. View attachment 20740 View attachment 20741 View attachment 20742 View attachment 20743 View attachment 20744

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
April, Have you done any riding before? Have you taken any classes?

I'm 5ft. It would have been difficult to learn on this bike without getting use to another smaller bike first. Can you pick up a cheap 250 to practice on? It would make a world of difference. My legs touch in all the places you are describing. If you are interesting to learn what I'm doing that works just let me know and I'd be happy to share. Also, the reduced reach seat was really the thing that made the biggest difference for me and reduced some of the issues you are having.

Beautiful bike. It looks almost exactly like mine. I hope you find a way to ride it or sell it for the right price. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
April, Have you done any riding before? Have you taken any classes?

I'm 5ft. It would have been difficult to learn on this bike without getting use to another smaller bike first. Can you pick up a cheap 250 to practice on? It would make a world of difference. My legs touch in all the places you are describing. If you are interesting to learn what I'm doing that works just let me know and I'd be happy to share. Also, the reduced reach seat was really the thing that made the biggest difference for me and reduced some of the issues you are having.

Beautiful bike. It looks almost exactly like mine. I hope you find a way to ride it or sell it for the right price. Good luck.
Thank you! I am actually enrolled in a 3 day class on the 18th. Maybe this will help, but it just seems like this bike gets really "hot" compared to others I have tried. I am looking at a victory now and the setup just seems to be a better fit for me. The tank sticks out far enough that it keeps you legs far away from the engine and the pipes are lower so with tall boots even if I touched the pipe, it wouldn't be a burn issue. I appreciate your kindness!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I felt like the pipers where hotter in the first 500 miles! Now I just don't flat foot on the right hand side. I usually keep my right food on the rest break at stops. I'm going to guess it seems hotter because you are riding it longer.

This is a big decision. And the 18 is t far away. Why not just sit on selling until after your class. The class makes a big difference.

And if you are going to sell consider buying the 250 before buying something else. Gaining confidence for a while is always a good thing. Often you can pick up a bike and sell if for the same price a year later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello April,
I'm in the North Raleigh area, not far from you, so I may want to come down to look at your Scout if you're serious about selling. It's a shame you put so much into accessories tailored for you when it still doesn't feel like a good fit. Insult added to injury when your dream bike becomes less so in reality.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello April,
I'm in the North Raleigh area, not far from you, so I may want to come down to look at your Scout if you're serious about selling. It's a shame you put so much into accessories tailored for you when it still doesn't feel like a good fit. Insult added to injury when your dream bike becomes less so in reality.

Mike
I will keep you posted, but am thinking about putting the Bassani 2
Hello April,

Mike
I screwed up my last reply, but was trying to say that I am thinking about keeping it and putting Bassani 2 into 1 exhaust on it. They look like they may be lower and have less chance of burning my leg. I will keep you posted on what I decide to do.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
a decat + proper tune that fattens the air-fuel ratio will give a cooler running engine. a new engine should cool a bit after some miles as a tighter engine produces more heat, also after 2,000 miles a real synthetic oil, think Redline will run cooler while protecting your baby!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another idea might be having your local machine shop make some new controls and foot pegs. They could make them stick out further, to spread your legs apart a little more...might be enough to help. It's worth a few bucks to keep your dream bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another idea might be having your local machine shop make some new controls and foot pegs. They could make them stick out further, to spread your legs apart a little more...might be enough to help. It's worth a few bucks to keep your dream bike.
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a decat + proper tune that fattens the air-fuel ratio will give a cooler running engine. a new engine should cool a bit after some miles as a tighter engine produces more heat, also after 2,000 miles a real synthetic oil, think Redline will run cooler while protecting your baby!!!
Thanks

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
The oil/for the Scout is a "real" 100% 15-W-60 weight synthetic oil.

I fail to see how the Redline synthetic could make it run any cooler? :confused::D:D
Also I failed to find the Scout required 15-W-60 weight on the Redline webpage.
Could you expand on your reasoning why the Redline would be better, I'm very interested in finding an alternate replacement oil for the Scout? :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
the scout oil is likely a group III highly hydrocracked mineral oil legally labeled "synthetic" for some time. there are very few true group IV PAO + group V ester oils sold today. some oil blenders use "some" group IV + or group V oil in the mix to meet their desired properties. Indian or Vic will not show any specs or state what group base oils are used. Indian + Vic oils are decent but way overpriced!!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
another option is the easy to ride 17" wheeled triumph bonneville, 440 lb dry + a real value, but not the power of the indian being a smaller air-oil cooled 865cc engine. i have one but am considering a scout, its forward controls appeal to me being similar to my 13 hammer. the bonnie runs quite + its lower pipes are never an issue

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I just purchased this bike on 09/01/15. 2016 Indian Scout ABS, Indian red. 132 miles, only gone from the dealership to home, then back to the dealership to have additional accessories installed. Bike With ABS $11,999, leather saddle bags $999.99, spool kit (to add saddle bags) $149.99, highway/crash bars $299.99, reduced reach handle bars $149.99, (have the originals as well), short windshield $475.00, Captain Itch Leather Crotch Cooler with Indian stamp $120.00. Asking $13,700 OBO. I LOVE the looks of this bike, but I am short and have thick thighs that touch the motor and pipes. My husband has an Indian Chief Vintage and loves his. This was my dream bike, but it's not a good fit for me. We are located in Aberdeen, NC. View attachment 20740 View attachment 20741 View attachment 20742 View attachment 20743 View attachment 20744
Bullshit !

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
the scout oil is likely a group III highly hydrocracked mineral oil legally labeled "synthetic" for some time. there are very few true group IV PAO + group V ester oils sold today. some oil blenders use "some" group IV + or group V oil in the mix to meet their desired properties. Indian or Vic will not show any specs or state what group base oils are used. Indian + Vic oils are decent but way overpriced!!!
My reason for looking for a more desirable oil is in your last statement.
Not only overpriced but they are not commonly found on the road if you need a quart or a oil change on the road.
I'm a very large fan of Amsoil, but they do not have a direct replacement for Indian oil, the same for Mobil 1 oils... no direct replacement.
I could go on about manufactures that don't hit the button,
I started a VERY LONG thread about oils quite a while back without any satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts