Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My Chieftain starts and runs great in neutral. When I shift to 1st it dies. The red shield with the key comes on then it dies. When I put it in neutral it'll start again. I've checked the battery in my fob and it has 3 volts. Any ideas on what it is, could be, what to do next?
Thanx

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Hi everyone. My Chieftain starts and runs great in neutral. When I shift to 1st it dies. The red shield with the key comes on then it dies. When I put it in neutral it'll start again. I've checked the battery in my fob and it has 3 volts. Any ideas on what it is, could be, what to do next?
Thanx
Is your kick stand up or down?

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
Thanx
Put the bike in gear and try to start with the kick stand up. If it does not start, then it is probably a defective Kick Stand limit switch. If you want you can unplug the switch and "jumper it out" to get to the dealer.

Reactions: Tazkota

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the fob after reading the riders manual, it said the battery may be low. I'll check the kickstand tonight when I get home, I thought about that while I was trying to sleep last night. It was down last night. I'll let you know if that was it tonight. Hope I don't gain many uncool points.....:rolleyes:

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
For about $15.00 we'll forget this lil "faux pas" and give you a gold thingie to go with it. Other wise, you get to wear this for the first year.
Orange Yellow Green Product Cap

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,901 Posts
Well slap my bottom and color me embarrassed...... It was because I still had the kickstand down. Kudos to everybody and thanks for all the good tips.
Hey, that's good to know. Being a Harley rider that's one dang safety item I've never had to worry about. I'm sure I'll get caught by it when I get my Indian. So you provided a service so don't be embarrassed.:D

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
don't worry it also stores a code every time you kill the engine with the kickstand and your vehicle report will let the dealer know how many times you do it..........lol
Would be funny if you had to sit in front of some sort of pseudo review board at the dealership with the service manager, sales manager, GM.... and they put all your fault codes up on a projector and you had to explain them away.....Public shaming lol....And I think all of us would be in that line too!! :oops::D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Would be funny if you had to sit in front of some sort of pseudo review board at the dealership with the service manager, sales manager, GM.... and they put all your fault codes up on a projector and you had to explain them away.....Public shaming lol....And I think all of us would be in that line too!! :oops::D
its almost how I know it exists...was riding with my daughter on my brand new vintage scrolling through the display and saw the dreaded "ckcode" display and I'm like oh no way its brand new...there can't be a code already..........

then when I got home I watched the flashes and took the code in to my manual and sure enough....dumbass killed motor with kickstand was the explanation.

then when I had the opportunity I got a vehicle report from the dealer and sure enough.....a rundown of the how many codes were set and how many times....and oh lookie here the dumbass with the kickstand code it the most used one...........

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ya'll think a code showing up is the end of the world ha.
Had dealer reset computer each time I go in.
Hardest code to get rid of... low beam light, or low voltage.
Light needs replacing every six months or less.
At $50 bucks, plus I purchase bulb.
My hands dont fit into the back of the light fixture to access bulb, bought a anti vibration plasma bulb this time, cost under 50, will be a white light, and brighter, just hope it last longer, got to find a very small machanic with those minature hands to install it now.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,897 Posts
Ya'll think a code showing up is the end of the world ha.
Had dealer reset computer each time I go in.
Hardest code to get rid of... low beam light, or low voltage.
Light needs replacing every six months or less.
At $50 bucks, plus I purchase bulb.
My hands dont fit into the back of the light fixture to access bulb, bought a anti vibration plasma bulb this time, cost under 50, will be a white light, and brighter, just hope it last longer, got to find a very small machanic with those minature hands to install it now.
2 years, 17,000 lies and I'm on the original bulbs...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.