Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See History Below latest first
1/9/15 (12 days & counting)

Update. I called the dealer today and they told me that they received (4) vehicle control modules (VCM) today from Polaris. It took 5 days for the dealer to order the module and it took 5 more days for them to get it delivered to them. It is 12 days now they have had my bike. The person I spoke to (Pat) informed me that they have 4 bikes waiting for this part and that all 4 modules they received today were defective (his words were "they were fried"). I told him that I thought it was ridiculous that I had to wait all this time for a plug in part that could be shipped overnight. He informed me that there is another customer that has the same bike and has been waiting 6 weeks! I asked why Polaris does not ship the replacements overnight and he said that Polaris will not pay for any Fed Ex or UPS shipping and when the dealer says they will pay for it, they charge outrageous amounts.He told me they are essentially dead in the water and they will not even be able to do anything until Monday and then it will take 4 or 5 more days just to get the replacement part.That will make 3 weeks and counting for a common replacement part. This is hard to imagine for a company as big as Polaris trying to get the name out there?
1/5/15 (8 days & counting)
Update . I spoke with the dealer today (Lakeland FL Indian Motorcycle). Although the bike was brought in on 12/29 and they new what they needed, I was told the part was ordered on 1/3. I was also told the reason that they were told that the part was back-ordered was because Indian had changed the part number (?) whatever that is supposed to mean? They said delivery of part will be 3-5 business days and they will call when it arrives. Funny, you would think they know about UPS or Fed Ex LOL. I honestly think they are so busy that they need time to get to it. Every time I call for the service dept. I am put on hold for 5 minutes and more often than not the operator picks back up and tells me no one is free and they will call me back. Which surprisingly enough they do call me back.I will add to this post as things progress.
1/3/15 (5 days later)
  1. Last week I went to go for a ride on my 2015 Vintage.Fired the bike up, let it warm up a bit and started backing out of my driveway. As I was backing up the horn sounded 3 short beeps. I immediately looked at the instrument cluster for default warnings and there was no indication of any problems. I then immediately shut the bike off and that was the end. Before trying to re-start I did a complete visual of the entire machine as well as physically checking the oil etc. All looked good but after all that, when I went to start the bike it would not start I could not get the neutral indicator to work so I did a visual inspection of the kickstand safety switch. Looked good?I tried replacing the fob battery but NG. I then tried to start it by entering my code but it would not take it The next day I called the dealer (Indian Motorcycle of Lakeland FL.) and explained what happened. They said that it was the computer (VCN?) and that they were very familiar with this problem and that it had to be replaced.They said they had to order a "new" computer and that they believed they were back-ordered. I inquired if Indian was doing a recall or if they addressed a fix for the computer (in other words if they are having problems with the computer, why would they just replace it with one of the same?) I could not get an answer other than they would order a new computer and hopefully they were not to far back-ordered.I called roadside and I will say in very short time they had a company (knowtow motorcycle towing knowtow.com ) come get the bike. The owner himself came out and they were very professional.Had an excellent set-up to safely tow the bike. Anyway very frustrating,no answer to date;
  1. If the parts is available?
  2. If they have addressed the problem?
  3. When the bike will be repaired?
  4. How I will get it back to Clearwater (50 miles away)
Bigger question, how are they building new bikes if the part is not available? Also, I was lucky because I just drove the bike down (by myself) from CT. It would have been a real joy if it happened on the trip down.I can understand that these things happen with electronics but if it has been a problem (like the dealer indicated) why haven't they addressed it and why is the part back-ordered?
Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Wow, just crazy. Sorry for the trouble Michael

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. But all the VCM shipped were faulty? Is it likely that they were shorted out by your bike as they plugged in? Either that or someone at HQ accidentally grabbed parts out of 'defective' bin and shipped.

·
Registered
448 Posts
We keep hearing these 'Horror' stories about electronics problems on these bikes. What's worse are the implications that Polaris and the Dealers seem to be dropping the ball and leaving the owners hanging when these problems occur. I'm waiting to hear of a legal suit being filed against Polaris/Indian for not honoring the warranty or for some type of negligence. Maybe our faith in Polaris wasn't so well placed.

Yes, they produced a hell of a machine and it is an outstanding undertaking by Polaris, but if they fail to be able to properly honor the warranty and jerk around the people who have purchased these fine machines they will begin to loose their edge.

I hope your problems get resolved quickly.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm betting that someone at your dealership doesn't know what they're doing and have accidentally fried them themselves. Keep us posted please.

Steve

·
Registered
393 Posts
If the electronic part is bad, and the replacement, it is a supplier problem which is very common in manufacturing.(I am a retired plant manager) Polaris does not make these things and can only put pressure on the supplier which I'm sure they are.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had the same problem. After 10 days of trying to figure it out, my dealer somehow got it started. Now the day they were to deliver it, it was dead in the water. What my dealer did next was replace my fob. Since then my bike has had no problems.Ask your dealer to try this.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
See History Below latest first
1/9/15 (12 days & counting)

Update. I called the dealer today and they told me that they received (4) vehicle control modules (VCM) today from Polaris. It took 5 days for the dealer to order the module and it took 5 more days for them to get it delivered to them. It is 12 days now they have had my bike. The person I spoke to (Pat) informed me that they have 4 bikes waiting for this part and that all 4 modules they received today were defective (his words were "they were fried"). I told him that I thought it was ridiculous that I had to wait all this time for a plug in part that could be shipped overnight. He informed me that there is another customer that has the same bike and has been waiting 6 weeks! I asked why Polaris does not ship the replacements overnight and he said that Polaris will not pay for any Fed Ex or UPS shipping and when the dealer says they will pay for it, they charge outrageous amounts.He told me they are essentially dead in the water and they will not even be able to do anything until Monday and then it will take 4 or 5 more days just to get the replacement part.That will make 3 weeks and counting for a common replacement part. This is hard to imagine for a company as big as Polaris trying to get the name out there?
1/5/15 (8 days & counting)
Update . I spoke with the dealer today (Lakeland FL Indian Motorcycle). Although the bike was brought in on 12/29 and they new what they needed, I was told the part was ordered on 1/3. I was also told the reason that they were told that the part was back-ordered was because Indian had changed the part number (?) whatever that is supposed to mean? They said delivery of part will be 3-5 business days and they will call when it arrives. Funny, you would think they know about UPS or Fed Ex LOL. I honestly think they are so busy that they need time to get to it. Every time I call for the service dept. I am put on hold for 5 minutes and more often than not the operator picks back up and tells me no one is free and they will call me back. Which surprisingly enough they do call me back.I will add to this post as things progress.
1/3/15 (5 days later)
  1. Last week I went to go for a ride on my 2015 Vintage.Fired the bike up, let it warm up a bit and started backing out of my driveway. As I was backing up the horn sounded 3 short beeps. I immediately looked at the instrument cluster for default warnings and there was no indication of any problems. I then immediately shut the bike off and that was the end. Before trying to re-start I did a complete visual of the entire machine as well as physically checking the oil etc. All looked good but after all that, when I went to start the bike it would not start I could not get the neutral indicator to work so I did a visual inspection of the kickstand safety switch. Looked good?I tried replacing the fob battery but NG. I then tried to start it by entering my code but it would not take it The next day I called the dealer (Indian Motorcycle of Lakeland FL.) and explained what happened. They said that it was the computer (VCN?) and that they were very familiar with this problem and that it had to be replaced.They said they had to order a "new" computer and that they believed they were back-ordered. I inquired if Indian was doing a recall or if they addressed a fix for the computer (in other words if they are having problems with the computer, why would they just replace it with one of the same?) I could not get an answer other than they would order a new computer and hopefully they were not to far back-ordered.I called roadside and I will say in very short time they had a company (knowtow motorcycle towing knowtow.com ) come get the bike. The owner himself came out and they were very professional.Had an excellent set-up to safely tow the bike. Anyway very frustrating,no answer to date;
  1. If the parts is available?
  2. If they have addressed the problem?
  3. When the bike will be repaired?
  4. How I will get it back to Clearwater (50 miles away)
Bigger question, how are they building new bikes if the part is not available? Also, I was lucky because I just drove the bike down (by myself) from CT. It would have been a real joy if it happened on the trip down.I can understand that these things happen with electronics but if it has been a problem (like the dealer indicated) why haven't they addressed it and why is the part back-ordered?
Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
I have heard this story before making me wish I didn't buy my bike from Lakeland also

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
I'm betting that someone at your dealership doesn't know what they're doing and have accidentally fried them themselves. Keep us posted please....Steve
It is possible to fry an ECM if you fail to discharge the static electrical charge your body may be carrying before handling one. I've never done it myself, but I've heard of it happening and the 2014 Indian Chief service warns of it and suggests wearing a grounding strap when handling one (page 5.5).
--- Randall

·
Registered
308 Posts
My dealer lost the data on 2 VCM's while trying to reflash the VCM on my Chief for the brake throttle reflash, it would download 3/4 of the way then crash the computer, they replaced the VCM twice, they can't see why it would not work as they have down the reflash in the past.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
This thread was started on Jan 9th and there hasn't been an update since. Hopefully MP will come back and tell us what's going on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts