Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I picked up my 2015 Red & Cream vintage from my dealer (Indian of Springfield MA) this last weekend. I had some concerns about the leather bags as I have been reading of all the problems other unfortunate owners have experienced. I also read a few post of where the 2015 bags were described as fake or "pleather" looking. I will provide what I can first hand as to what my experience has been to date
1. The dealer told me that the 2015 bags were treated differently, oil versus water based treatment.
2. I was told that I did not have to worry about rain etc initially and as long as I maintained them.
3. I was told that the fading problem has been resolved in lieu of the new method of treating the leather.

I can not verify any of the above and I guess time will be the true test of validity.
With regards to the look of the leather, I can't speak for any other 2015 models, but I can tell you the leather on my bike is beautiful.The bags are stunning. I wish the seat had a little more of the typical leather character wrinkles but I imagine that will come with time & wear. It is still quite beautiful as it is. Indian did supply a leather care kit (paste) and I did apply it to all of the leather the other night (did the bags while watching TV with the wife). I had my reservations about it darkening the leather but I was very pleased with the end result as there was minimal if any darkening and it actually made the leather look even better as a result of the softening effect it had.
It will all start to get the true test this weekend as I am leaving Ct and heading down to Florida on the bike. I will update as time goes on. In the meantime "safe riding and enjoy" regardless of what your ride is.

·
Super Moderator
4,866 Posts
I look forward to your investigation. Have you taken "before" pictures to compare to later on? I just worked on my leather this past weekend, very happy with the way it turned out. I have pics posted in my gallery.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
That's great, glad you are happy with it.
Congratulations on the new bike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't taken any pictures yet but I will before I leave Sunday. Glad your leather turned out good for you

·
Registered
384 Posts
From CT to FL wow I'm so jealous...got a back rest? Be Safe long roads are waiting......

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I will second that Michael,

I picked up my new 2015 Vintage last Friday and the leather on the seats and bags match quite well and feel very soft and pliable to the touch. I applied the supplied leather cream and noticed a slight more softness and no noticeable color change at all. After reading from owners of the KM's with distressed leather that they weren't for me. I do like that the distressed leather adds character after some time. I didn't like the idea of re-dyeing them on a continuous basis to maintain the color so I chose to wait till Indian offered traditional treated leather.

I love working on my bikes and do all the maintenance myself but after having 2, 2000 Chiefs I wanted a new one that I could ride and not have to spend an excessive amount of time maintaining them. I also had my dealer change out the white walls for the black walls because personally I don't like the look of white walls and didn't want to clean them all the time. The mechanical service, paint and chrome maintenance is plenty for me.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.... Because we live in this Great Country, we all have choices !!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I will second that Michael,

I chose to wait till Indian offered traditional leather treated leather.
The mechanical service, paint and chrome maintenance is plenty for me.
I hope I didn't offend anyone.... Because we live in this Great Country, we all have choices !!!
Because we live in this Great Country, we all have choices !:cool: something to remember

By the way what is leather treated leather? In that like Genuine Imitation leather?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have seen the 2015 leather and to me, although very nice, it does not look real. I have a 14 vintage and have treated it twice with Obenhauf's leather oil. Each time it darkened a little more. I am very pleased with the results and would highly recommend it. The little bit of labor that it takes to have a great real leather look is certainly worth it to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,866 Posts
I have seen the 2015 leather and to me, although very nice, it does not look real. I have a 14 vintage and have treated it twice with Obenhauf's leather oil. Each time it darkened a little more. I am very pleased with the results and would highly recommend it. The little bit of labor that it takes to have a great real leather look is certainly worth it to me.
How dark did it go? Any pics you can share?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
halld, Sorry for the mistake, it should have read "traditional treated leather" such as in leather shoes, car seats and furniture. I'm not sure what your asking, "In that like Genuine Imitation leather"?

Bocody, I certainly agree that the distressed leather looks Real Nice and I'm happy that your Ok with the maintenance, unlike so many others that are complaining about it. Some to the extent that they want Indian to replace all their leather. I like the looks of the distressed leather better but, "I" made the choice to wait because I knew from the KM bikes what it involved.

Some are making comments like it's "pleather", "imitation leather" or "it doesn't look real" I think are based on the distressed leather as their base line.

Bottom line is that both start with US cattle hides (per Indian) but are tanned differently. The 15's leather still needs treating to replace the oils and to keep them soft and pliable but there supposed to be less likely to fade from the UV, I guess time will tell if thats true.

Most of the Brand X bikes don't have real leather as well as my 2000 Indians. The 2000's were marine grade vinyl that needed cleaning but, after 14 years, they still look new.

I'm real happy with my new bike after a week and 500 miles and happy that the new Indians have real leather as it sets them apart more from the rest. I just want to go riding some more after the 500 mile service !!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would really appreciate and update. Hope all goes well with the bags! I am about to sell my Victory Hardball to order a 2015 Vintage with tan bags but I keep ordering if I should go with black and red two-tone and black bags just to avoid the hassle of dying leather after it fades to almost white. A dealer also told me that Indian fixed this issue in 2015 but I just saw what I assume was a 2014 with almost white leather at the Oyster Run rally in Washington and it kinda freaked me out! Ugly and ruined a great bike. I hope the oil treatment in 2015 fixes the issue. Too bad that this taints an otherwise great motorcycle.
Photos would be great. Thanks!!!

·
Founding member
961 Posts
I don't own a 2015 Vintage but I've seen a number of them and I looked close at the seats and bags. I really like them. Very nice. They are, and look like, real leather. Congratulations guys.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
halld, Sorry for the mistake, it should have read "traditional treated leather" such as in leather shoes, car seats and furniture. I'm not sure what your asking, "In that like Genuine Imitation leather"?
Genuine Imitation, I guess is kind of an inside Joke. While in the service overseas we use to get ice cream in small rectangular boxes. On the front
it woud state GENUINE and just below (imitation) ICE CREAM:cool:
. Yeah pleather would come to mind.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have one of the 2014 Vintages with the fading problem. I looked at the 2015 Vintage bags. I thought they looked great and the fact that they will remain that way (with proper care) is even better. Leather, pleather, whether... I do not care. They look good. I am hoping to get some for my Vintage soon.

As for your trip... ride safe. Motorists in Florida are crazier than New York. Do enjoy the miles and hang on to the smiles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm leaving tomorrow and going to follow the coastline as I have to stop at Hampton cycle in Chesapeake Virginia for my first service. The guys there were exceptionally nice and even though the service department was booked on Monday they told me to bring it down and they would fit me in. I will take photos and put them on once I get back.
Regardless of whether it is a 2014 or a 2015 I think all the Indians are amazing looking bikes. Although I truly feel the Indian is definately the best looking bike out there today I go out of my way to compliment any other riders bike (no matter what the brand) just to show people that with the new Indians there is a also a different type of rider who respects any and all that ride.Lets not become that of which we despise and along with the new name brand, bring a new rider brand. Safe riding to all you guys (and gals).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ya know, I think that is what turns my stomach most is the attitude of the Harley loyal who disdain anything not Harley.

I appreciate all bikes verbally where I can, but none compare to the Indian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is after one coat of Obenhauf's leather oil. About five days later I applied another coat and it is slightly darker.
I have a 15 Vintage, and just ordered some Skidmores Leather Cream.......Does anyone have any idea if this leather cream will darken my bags. It does stat that it is a cleaner & conditioner.

·
Super Moderator
4,866 Posts
I have a 15 Vintage, and just ordered some Skidmores Leather Cream.......Does anyone have any idea if this leather cream will darken my bags. It does stat that it is a cleaner & conditioner.
Well, it's mainly beeswax and if it's like the bees wax I treated my leather with, it will darken it. (see my photo gallery) Shuje Sunge s albums Indian Motorcycle Forum My leather has returned to it's normal caramel color and I fully expect the Oklahoma/Texas sun will fade it again and I'll treat it again, regular maintenance is required for leather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts