Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What, if anything, has Indian done to address the problems encountered by so many 2014 owners? Some of the pictures indicate a different type leather, not just a color change- or am I engaging in wishful thinking? Either way, they have had plenty of time............

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
You'll notice late production 2014's have a darker tan color as do the 2015's. I bought the darker tan seats from my dealer, almost looks like the "bomber jacket" type/color of leather. So, to answer your question regarding 2015 Vintage Leather, Indian has realized and made a change in the tan leather. I don't know the specifics, manufacturer, when they were changed, etc., etc., but I do know that the early production seats were almost a yellow, golden color. The late 2014s and 2015 have a darker light brown look.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the information. Have you been satisfied with the newer seats/bags and over what period of time?

·
Registered
103 Posts
You'll notice late production 2014's have a darker tan color as do the 2015's. I bought the darker tan seats from my dealer, almost looks like the "bomber jacket" type/color of leather. So, to answer your question regarding 2015 Vintage Leather, Indian has realized and made a change in the tan leather. I don't know the specifics, manufacturer, when they were changed, etc., etc., but I do know that the early production seats were almost a yellow, golden color. The late 2014s and 2015 have a darker light brown look.

I would like to know if you are satisfied also. I just ordered my green and ivory vintage a week ago.

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
I am satisfied with the dark tan leather seat on my bike (see my photo gallery). I can tell you that my bike (seat) does not spend much time at all in the direct sun light. I am a FWR (fair weather rider) and being in Oklahoma and Texas, when you park you are always keeping an eye for shaded parking.

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
Thanks and I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I've enjoyed mine!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looked at the 2015 Vintage leather at Lone Star Indian, the color is different for 15. It is now called Desert Tan and the leather is now painted not dyed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
From what I was told, the 14's tanning was done with a dye with no oil base, supposedly that's been corrected on the 15's...:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tool and dye leather products and own 14 vintage. Simply have to continue to " love" and nurture the leather due to the pigment in the water based dye. Tandy's eco flo gel antique tan is great too for match. Tried Indians sealer to no avail. Re-dyied needed about every 3 weeks if in sun all day at work. Going to try beeswax sealer. Bought the Indian half cover for seat n bags when in sun. Works best if long term exposure! Dont care what folk think, bike too expensive to care!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Bought the Indian half cover for seat n bags when in sun. Works best if long term exposure! Dont care what folk think, bike too expensive to care!
That is a nice looking cover. I can't imagine anyone saying anything negative about it and if they do so what. As you said, it is a very expensive bike and should be protected!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts