Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i know on the 15 and 16 leather its actually a bicast. Now knowing that,i was wondering what other members use to condition and take care of the leather. I tried the Indian leather cream it seemed to do the job fairly well.i wasnt happy with it. I tried Nick`s custom boots Heavy Duty leather Preservative. It was a partial can from a co-worker. The short time i used i was pleased with it. But the bike spent more time in the shade and out of the sun thenl. Since then i have tried Meguiar`s uv protectant leather stuff. It left a pink Hue on the leather and it appeared dried out almost immediately after application. Now i use mink oil. it looks good, doesnt change the color of the leather too much just darkens it a bit but with the bike spending quite a bit of time in the sun its almost as if i never use the stuff. I am considering trying Nick`s again. What do you use?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bicast has a polyurethane coating - vinyl - over the leather. Nothing used for real leather will penetrate the poly and be absorbed by the leather. Use a vinyl cleaner with UV protection in it. That's the best you can do. Once it starts flaking, peeling or cracking, as Jesse34 says, time to replace it. Unfortunately, in the US one can label bicast as genuine leather even though it isnt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Its already having issues. Im not sure its flaking but where my jeans rub a lot or my passengers does its rubbed "off" it seems I have convinced myself it adds to the look. i might look into having a leather shop cover everything in real leather.... maybe

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I use Skidmores' leather cream on my 16 leather. Works great, has beeswax in it. Cleans and prorects all in one. I ordered it direct from the company. Would highy recommend.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
With all the coats of different products, I think you should gently clean everything with saddle soap soon. I just started using Fiebings 100% pure neetsfoot oil. A little dap will do ya and work in well. I plan to use a bees wax sealer. I know, I know that I will get some disagreement on this, but the real leathers portions of the seal skirt and fringe are protected a little more. and at least the bees wax will protect somewhat. I have noticed some wear/flaking on seams edge of drivers seat and treated it with the oil. Providing it's still under warranty when it finally gets unsightly, I'll raise hell til the cows come home - 2015 Vintage
Pat

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use Skidmores' leather cream on my 16 leather. Works great, has beeswax in it. Cleans and prorects all in one. I ordered it direct from the company. Would highlyou recommend.
With all the coats of different products, I think you should gently clean everything with saddle soap soon. I just started using Fiebings 100% pure neetsfoot oil. A little dap will do ya and work in well. I plan to use a bees wax sealer. I know, I know that I will get some disagreement on this, but the real leathers portions of the seal skirt and fringe are protected a little more. and at least the bees wax will protect somewhat. I have noticed some wear/flaking on seams edge of drivers seat and treated it with the oil. Providing it's still under warranty when it finally gets unsightly, I'll raise hell til the cows come home - 2015 Vintage
Pat
Thanks for the input. when i wash the bike i use dawn unscented dish soap cuts all the grease and grime well. i also use it on the seats and saddlebags i thought about it being to harsh on them but i dont really know and i would imagine with it being dawn and i wash the bike about once or twice a month as much as i ride. the previous products should be gone. I can be mistaken though. i will go by the tractor supply and see about some saddle soap.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Skidmores also. 2015 vintage . Park in and enclosed trailer with exhaust fan in roof and vents in lower walls to keep heat buildup at a minimum. One year old, still looks new.

Reactions: joe106

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I have it on good sources that the 2017 saddlebags will be made out of cardboard like a shoebox.
If they fade or you don't like the color you can adjust the shading with a Crayola Crayon.

Reactions: SkipII

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bicast has a polyurethane coating - vinyl - over the leather. Nothing used for real leather will penetrate the poly and be absorbed by the leather. Use a vinyl cleaner with UV protection in it. That's the best you can do. Once it starts flaking, peeling or cracking, as Jesse34 says, time to replace it. Unfortunately, in the US one can label bicast as genuine leather even though it isnt.
Thanks for explaining what bicast was. I didn't know this about the leather. What cleaner and protectant do you use?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have it on good sources that the 2017 saddlebags will be made out of cardboard like a shoebox.
If they fade or you don't like the color you can adjust the shading with a Crayola Crayon.
Indian Better have vouchers for the 64 crayola packs. If they know i have to recolor everytime it gets wet i better get some help. I want more color options than some little 24 pack. You are not cool unless you have the 64! Everyone knows that and so should Indian.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use Skidmores 2 part system for Motorcycle Leather

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use Skidmores 2 part system for Motorcycle Leather
With our bags being bicast, how good does this stuff work? I went on their website, read about their biker stuff and I was under the impression that this stuff was for non bicast leather.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I've been using the Skidmore cream for about a year. I apply on my 16 Vintage seats and saddles every few months. Seems like it cleans and protects all in one application. I'm by no means a leather expert but it does look like it's doing a good job.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use the leather conditioner stuff I got with the bike. So far it seems to work and keeps the seat, bags and backrests in a really nice condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
As long as we're not letting facts get in the way, we can also use one of those hair-growing formulas on the leather as well. I'm sure some will be convinced it works.

:)

PS. I still have a few cans of Marvel Mystery oil somewhere my garage if anyone would like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts