Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you guys have already addressed this, however every time I've had mine at the dealership I complained about it, even had asked them to let me know when the Indian factory rep was in town so I could discuss this with him. I can't put into words on this forum what I was thinking while riding thru Utah last year and Montana/Yellowstone this year and other times when I should have been enjoying the purr of the engine the scenery and peace but instead had to listen to what sounded like a squealing bearing going out, I came off of a quiet Vulcan 1500 shaft drive and now the noise is cutting to the bone, I will approach our local dealership to see if Indian will replace the belt/pulley and warranty the two. I decided to purchase this chieftain over a street glide and a road glide but I'll tell you this horrible noise is about to drive me to the Harley dealership. It's definitely gotten worse and anytime you twist the throttle, going on an incline or climbing a hill the squeal is just down right horrible. Indian in my opinion should have a recall on all bikes that have this old design and correct it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know some of you guys have already addressed this, however every time I've had mine at the dealership I complained about it, even had asked them to let me know when the Indian factory rep was in town so I could discuss this with him. I can't put into words on this forum what I was thinking while riding thru Utah last year and Montana/Yellowstone this year and other times when I should have been enjoying the purr of the engine the scenery and peace but instead had to listen to what sounded like a squealing bearing going out, I came off of a quiet Vulcan 1500 shaft drive and now the noise is cutting to the bone, I will approach our local dealership to see if Indian will replace the belt/pulley and warranty the two. I decided to purchase this chieftain over a street glide and a road glide but I'll tell you this horrible noise is about to drive me to the Harley dealership. It's definitely gotten worse and anytime you twist the throttle, going on an incline or climbing a hill the squeal is just down right horrible. Indian in my opinion should have a recall on all bikes that have this old design and correct it.
I hope they fix it for you. Your year got pulley and belt for the fix. In the mean time can get some dial soap bar and wile the edges with it really well it should bide some time and quiet it some. I have an 18 that does it. Altho its been quiet a while now since my last trip to dealer and they adjusted it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just had my 2014 Chieftain Cush drive and belt replaced under warranty.
I had to go to another dealer to get it done , my regular dealer just wanted to adjust belt.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
These sorts of things are able to be fixed... sometimes easy, sometimes more involved. It is a dealership level problem much of the time. If they have a good service department and the right personnel it makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
So, let us know the rest of the history and details of your bike, location and dealership and so on.
Hopefully we can help you avoid any drastic and costly decisions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, let us know the rest of the history and details of your bike, location and dealership and so on.
Hopefully we can help you avoid any drastic and costly decisions.
Don't know what history/details of my bike you'd like to know, I did have a cam installed, pipes, a high air intake breather it has 21,314 miles on it, I enjoy the bike except for the squealing noise it sounds good, runs good, looks good has plenty of power/pep . Our dealership is in Shreveport, LA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year Chieftain? Do you have extended warranty? Any of the original warranty left?
Chieftain 2015, No extended warranty not sure of the original warranty, if they recorded my complaints every time I had my bike serviced it should be documented

1 - 8 of 8 Posts