Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
I went over to Indian Motorcycles of Orlando today and had a chance to check out the new Scout. Unfortunately this was NOT a demo ride but my wife and I managed to get a few pictures and video.

I'm 6'1" and about 180lbs with a 32" inseam and hope the pictures with me on the bike will give you some reference as to it's size. I ordered my Scout with the extended reach foot controls and I have to say that I am happy I did and glad I didn't change the handle bars or the seat. If you didn't order any of these controls, no worries I found the placement very comfortable as is. The extra 2" should provide a little more comfort.

• It's smooth! I placed the back of my hand on the tank while revving and hardly a tremor, mirrors were crystal clear and I could see fine behind me and little to no vibes in the handlebars. There is a thread on this forum regarding the hand grips and how they feel small. It felt right to me.
  • Damn, this thing is well balanced, light, rocking the bike from side to side didn't feel even close to a "crap moment" of "this is gonna fall over and I can't hold it up" feeling.
  • The attention to detail is about as good as it gets for a bike in this price range and better than many twice it's price. With the Indian "i" engraved in the hand controls to the fill cover, it's appears to cater to the minimalist yet there is so much there.
  • Pictures of the Scout "don't do it justice", you have to see it because it is so well proportioned and making the tank bigger (I know, I know, if they had just gone to a 4 gal tank, I get it!) would be too much.
  • This bike looks small at first but when you plank your ass down on this thing, it suddenly feels like your favorite pair of jeans, right size, feel and as someone else commented "Goldilocks right"
  • As much as I've been a huge fan from the start I've had my reservations (pardon the pun there...) of buying a bike without seeing it, no history and really very little to go on (prior to joining this forum). I can say that I'm very excited and looking forward to picking mine up when she is delivered.
  • Yes, I would agree with a couple of other's who have posted, "the exhaust note sounds Japanese cruiser like". I thought it sounded fine but I'm the same guy who cringes every time some biker goes by with the exhaust so loud blood starts running from my ears. It's fine by me.
  • The instrument cluster is killer good! I saw comments regarding confusion from a professional reviewer, I'm not buying it, it all made sense and the toggle button to cycle through the options is well placed and easy to use.
  • The liquid cooling (yeah, don't let it get you too worked up) is nonintrusive, it just doesn't get in the way at all, very clean, blends in.
  • They like feedback and want to know what people think and track it. So speak up if you go see one.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good for you aln. brown,you finely got a chance to see your new love..... kinda like seeing your first born lol.....I will get to see one this Tuesday, I'm looking forward to it....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good for you aln. brown,you finely got a chance to see your new love..... kinda like seeing your first born lol.....I will get to see one this Tuesday, I'm looking forward to it....
I'd be very surprised fred_g if you don't walk away impressed. Do I think it's a killer good two up bike? Naw. I've added the pillion seat and passenger pegs so I could take my wife with me but the honesty in all that is we never ride long for very far. A good day we might go a total of 100 miles with a lot of stopping here and there. If not for the $20K+ price for a Chieftain, I'd of gone that route but it's not within my budget.

Keep me posted on what you think.

Oh, the hot exhaust issue. Yup, it is there and the demo guy (Jess) he warned people if the bike had been running to be careful. It cools down quickly as two Hooter's girls were getting their pictures taken on the bike and their nylon legs were pressed against the pipes (that statement seems just wrong somehow...) minutes after the bike was running. Polaris is working on it (rumor has it) but caution if you are wearing shorts the day you see it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm glad you mention that exhaust heat that's my only concern so far.... seems like most people that get to see and ride the Scout have way more positive than negative. I'm right there with you on the budget thing. I to would have gone for the Vintage if I could afford it.. thanks for the good write up and info I'll post my impression Tuesday night.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Excellent post, Mr Brown!

When I was rocking the bike, I thought "my gosh this bike is light!".

5'6" 29" inseam, the stock controls placement felt fine to me.

There was 70+ yo gent who dropped a deposit on it while I was there.

These bikes are also going to be popular with the older crowd, too.
That's smart business sense, Polaris/Indian has.

Been working on Speed Potential calculations on this bike last night.
It's either redline at around 160mph or 225mph - I posted my findings
in the .... crud, I forgot the name of the thread....

It may be that the fella who managed 110mph in third, was riding it
like a cruiser shifting around 5000 rpm. The last revised chart I made, shows
110mph at 5900 rpm (where the advertised peak torque sits)
IF that calculation is correct, the Scout has a 225mph potential -
Would need a lot more power out of the engine, I think, but at least
some early estimates are starting to materialize.

Also a preliminary estimated ET and G-force figure
(Twinhit)
HP: 84.88 hp @ 7900 (at ground)
Motorcycle Weight: 558 lbs
Rider Weight: 220 lbs
Combined Motorcycle/Rider Weight: 778 lbs
E.ET: 12.2 sec @ 111.9 mph
Acceleration(Gs): 0.418115208373575 g-units [G]

(Adam Waheed)
HP: 84.88 hp @ 7900 (at ground)
Motorcycle Weight: 558
Rider Weight: 181 lb
Combined Motorcycle/Rider Weight: 739 lbs
E.ET: 12 sec @ 113.8 mph

If you haven't already, have a look.
Dynoed: 2015 Indian Scout Horsepower/Torque - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow....you hot rod guys are already turning the Scout into a fire breathing monster,,,,,, AWESOME, not my thing, but I can appreciate it. I'm guessing you're changing from belt drive, to chain drive before you try and get that kind of power to the ground?....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wow....you hot rod guys are already turning the Scout into a fire breathing monster,,,,,, AWESOME, not my thing, but I can appreciate it. I'm guessing you're changing from belt drive, to chain drive before you try and get that kind of power to the ground?....
Naturally. Can't help it. heh, heh.

I've found some exotic Carbon Fiber components. I've got this thing for the Ducati Diavel.
I think the Scout may stand a good chance of giving the Duc the run for the money.
Shed some weight, mess with the engine if Indian provided enough room and mess with
other stuff. A high end performance Scout (Euro-Scout?) could fit the bill.

I've already ripped the front Cyl. off and tilted the engine forward and made a mean beginnings of 566.5cc Single.
A smartly designed Dual Sport/Adventurer would make a great platform to introduce it.

IMHO, 500-650 even 750-900cc Twin would be easy for Indian to develop too. - further down the line of course.

Then there is that Indian 4 and the transverse VTwin 841. Those would be interesting comebacks too.

It's fun to watch.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Good to hear of your experience with the Scout and I believe you did the right thing by going w/ the 2" foot controls only. I had a few demo rides and at 5'9"/30" inseam the bike felt perfect, so w/ your longer legs/height you should hit the mark with fitment.

Thanks Twin for the 1/4mi calculations. 12 second 1/4mi time is more an fast enough for me. At 47 and after 11 seasons with a Yamaha FZ1 that has 122 horsepower to the rear wheel and is capable of 10.55, I am looking forward to slowing down. Time to look at comparison charts such as http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2013JanPerfIndx.pdf

·
Registered
958 Posts
Why does everyone want Indian to go the inline 4 route, it wasn't even Indian's design ? I would rather see them go the Ducati/KTM route a nice light powerful machine, like the Scout somewhat only with more sporting potential or dual sport. Geez the keyboard works today with not having to backtrack constantly to correct missing letters. Must depend how many people are on here at the time.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Really good write-up Mr. Brown,

You can't help but be impressed by Polaris Industries. They are presenting cutting-edge technology and marketing all across the power sports spectrum. Their machines are handsomely designed and a high degree of fit and finish. Its great to see an American company putting forward such fine products.

Much as I love my classically-styled Chieftain, I think Indian hit the right note of high tech modern design coupled with genuine American styling and high quality execution. I'd have no concerns whatever in buying a new design from an engineering powerhouse like Polaris, especially backed up by a 5-year warranty. There is a market for the new Scout.

I agree with the other posters, that it would only make sense to offer the Scout power-plant in a variety of other chassis; it could cover a lot of bases. Indian' sister brand, Victory, has been doing this very successfully.

When I look at the Scout engine I see strong family similarities to Polaris ATV engines, dolled up and detailed to look good out in the open. Those of you who own Polaris ATVs know what strong-running, reliable mills they are. The parent company's great depth of engineering and manufacturing expertise gave me confidence to buy a 1st-year Chief; it has been the best new bike I've ever owned. I'd venture to say the new Scouts will do just as well.

As for why an in-line four, that's an interesting question, but rather than hijack this most excellent Scout thread, I think I'll start a new thread in General Topics
--- Randall

·
Registered
90 Posts
Excellent post, Mr Brown!
These bikes are also going to be popular with the older crowd, too.
That's smart business sense, Polaris/Indian has.
Yes it is a good write up and it is so encouraging that most people, who view the Scout for the first time, have lots more positive than negative comments. Especially those who plunked down the money sight-unseen.

As someone who fits somewhat into the 'ahem' older crowd, what speaks to me about the Scout is that it appears to be an excellent all round motorcycle. It looks like a modern bike, not an antique or a spaceship, all reports seem to be that the weight is reasonable enough for a large displacement bike, physical dimensions fit average sized riders, power is there if you want or need it, it handles well enough to be sporting and there is nothing extraneous on it that doesn't make it go or stop. All the main attributes that any rider needs.

Man I can't wait to see mine!!!

PS: How about some pix of Thunder Black ones?? :cool:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes it is a good write up and it is so encouraging that most people, who view the Scout for the first time, have lots more positive than negative comments. Especially those who plunked down the money sight-unseen.

As someone who fits somewhat into the 'ahem' older crowd, what speaks to me about the Scout is that it appears to be an excellent all round motorcycle. It looks like a modern bike, not an antique or a spaceship, all reports seem to be that the weight is reasonable enough for a large displacement bike, physical dimensions fit average sized riders, power is there if you want or need it, it handles well enough to be sporting and there is nothing extraneous on it that doesn't make it go or stop. All the main attributes that any rider needs.

Man I can't wait to see mine!!!

PS: How about some pix of Thunder Black ones?? :cool:
Like this one?

P1010060.JPG
That's the very first 21st century Indian Scout that I sat on and fired up.
I was so proud that I took a snapshot of the Serial#.
Maybe I can write Indian and ask if they would let me buy it.
Probably not. but... hey.. fun thought, anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
Naturally. Can't help it. heh, heh.

I've found some exotic Carbon Fiber components. I've got this thing for the Ducati Diavel.
I think the Scout may stand a good chance of giving the Duc the run for the money.
Shed some weight, mess with the engine if Indian provided enough room and mess with
other stuff. A high end performance Scout (Euro-Scout?) could fit the bill.

I've already ripped the front Cyl. off and tilted the engine forward and made a mean beginnings of 566.5cc Single.
A smartly designed Dual Sport/Adventurer would make a great platform to introduce it.

IMHO, 500-650 even 750-900cc Twin would be easy for Indian to develop too. - further down the line of course.

Then there is that Indian 4 and the transverse VTwin 841. Those would be interesting comebacks too.

It's fun to watch.
That would be lots of mods to catch the Diavel. I have owned many Ducks and you would need to lose some weight and get 60% more HP to stand a chance. The scout will still be a great bike in the mid-weight cruiser genre. i can't wait for mine.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
272 Posts
Indy,,, if you changed your BROWSER to Firefox,,,,you would not have any spelling problems,,,,it has a built in spell check that will point out that something is spelled WRONG and offer various other words it thinks you are trying to type.
F Microsoft Internet Explorer..... it sucks

1 - 20 of 48 Posts