Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I know this question has been asked many times, but I’m asking as some owners like to add their experiences.
I’m new to Indian and looking at buying a 2015 Scout with 8800 miles. It’s 3 hours away from me so I haven’t seen anything but pics. Bonus is the seller is wanting $5500 for it.
My concern, as with any brand I’m looking at buying, is first year issues plus I’ve been reading a lot about oil leaks from the stator and valve covers of newer years.
Is this a bike I should maybe look away and focus on a newer model?
Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a used 15 with 8600 miles in March. I had to replace the oil sensor - it was leaking like crazy, and they had to rewire the rear turn signals because the tire rubs through them (it's a known issue).
Besides that, I've had almost no issues that weren't operator error.
I'm up to 14300 miles, with the long trips being 250, 40 and 640 in a day with no problems.
I cushioned the seat with an Airhwak until I sent mine in to get repadded.
I've found my bike to be reliable and fun as hell to ride, both commute and longer trips.
20200815_185529_076.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a used 15 with 8600 miles in March. I had to replace the oil sensor - it was leaking like crazy, and they had to rewire the rear turn signals because the tire rubs through them (it's a known issue).
Besides that, I've had almost no issues that weren't operator error.
I'm up to 14300 miles, with the long trips being 250, 40 and 640 in a day with no problems.
I cushioned the seat with an Airhwak until I sent mine in to get repadded.
I've found my bike to be reliable and fun as hell to ride, both commute and longer trips.
View attachment 605018
Looks identical to the one I’m looking at buying. Same setup.

·
Silver member
4,971 Posts
Make sure the starter has been replaced with the new one. And know that the original Kendra tires are shiiite.

Reactions: Guapo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure the starter has been replaced with the new one. And know that the original Kendra tires are shiiite.
Talked to the service dept where the bike has been kept since new. No record of the starter being replaced. That’s another problem I’ve been told, service guy told me they’re about $400 but fairly easy to replace myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Talked to the service dept where the bike has been kept since new. No record of the starter being replaced. That’s another problem I’ve been told, service guy told me they’re about $400 but fairly easy to replace myself.
My dealer replaced the the starter on my 2016 Scout at no cost. Apparently there was a service bulletin on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have 2 2015 Scouts both close to 20,000 miles on them. Not a single problem with either bike only oil, tires and gas.

·
Senior member / rider
1,193 Posts
I owned a first run 2015 Scout. Overall it was a fine bike. My biggest complaint was, I found the throttle was very abrupt. Polaris as tweaked the Scout of the years, better suspension, ABS, smoother throttle response. My wife’s 2018 is more refined than my old 15.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts