Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I realized the 2016 bikes come with a gear display (basically gear number on the display where it shows N). Did a quick search and my 2015 service manual says that mine should also have a gear display but the multi function switch shows different info on the bike than what the manual says.

For example, I don't get a gear indicator, and the modes mentioned in the manual include ODO, Trip 1 (both of which I have), Trip 2 (nope), Voltage (nope except when battery is low), clock (mine is permanent at the bottom and is not a mode).

I get engine temp, tach (which i assume is what they referred to as engine speed), odo, trip1. Is there a way to reprogram what I get? Or is that a difference on the 2016 models? It may be worth mentioning that the bikes we got in Dubai are the eurospec bikes.

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
I think there is another thread on this in this forum. I seem to remember older models didn't have it but newer ones did. Not sure. Try searching.

·
Registered
53 Posts
2016 has a permanent gear digital indicator and a green neutral indicator. You then can select rpms, trip, temp or milage to be displayed

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Hey guys,

I realized the 2016 bikes come with a gear display (basically gear number on the display where it shows N). Did a quick search and my 2015 service manual says that mine should also have a gear display but the multi function switch shows different info on the bike than what the manual says.

For example, I don't get a gear indicator, and the modes mentioned in the manual include ODO, Trip 1 (both of which I have), Trip 2 (nope), Voltage (nope except when battery is low), clock (mine is permanent at the bottom and is not a mode).

I get engine temp, tach (which i assume is what they referred to as engine speed), odo, trip1. Is there a way to reprogram what I get? Or is that a difference on the 2016 models? It may be worth mentioning that the bikes we got in Dubai are the eurospec bikes.
I would take your bike back to the dealership and make them show you how to use it - that's what the sales folks get paid to do.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I read somewhere that the instrument gauge or 'head unit' or whatever it's called is physically different on the 2016 models. They also have a sensor that leads into the VCM and the 2015's do not. I believe there is the hole (plugged) where the sensor would fit if it were installed. Someone else mentioned this once. I think they said the instrument gauge was listed at $500 or something. Not enough for me to worry about for a gear indicator.

TheDude

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Never had a Gear Indicator other than a Green 6 light on an Ultra until bought my Victory Cross Country and while it's handy I sure am not losing any sleep over not having a Gear Indicator I had been Matching RPM's to MPH for 40+ Years and Got by just fine .. Only Option for 2016 on a Scout could understand Trading in for is either ABS or if you have one of those Throttle Surge Nightmares I've read about .. I am quite happy with mine the way it is .. I better be with close to 6 Grand in Mods of my own choosing ..

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got a 2016 ABS Scout VIN #5548, so it's an early 2016. Mine did not come with a gear indicator. But the manual says the 2016 should have it and the demo bikes I took out all had it. I mentioned (really pissed and moaned actually) this to the service manager and they were nice enough to buy me a new speedo unit, which came with the gear indicator. They claimed it cost $265.00, I don't know if that was MSRP or actual cost. All I can say is it's really nice and nice of them do buy and install it for me. Now I know nobody needs a gear indicator, but the last half a dozen bikes have had it so I'm getting spoiled.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got a 2016 ABS Scout VIN #5548, so it's an early 2016. Mine did not come with a gear indicator. But the manual says the 2016 should have it and the demo bikes I took out all had it. I mentioned (really pissed and moaned actually) this to the service manager and they were nice enough to buy me a new speedo unit, which came with the gear indicator. They claimed it cost $265.00, I don't know if that was MSRP or actual cost. All I can say is it's really nice and nice of them do buy and install it for me. Now I know nobody needs a gear indicator, but the last half a dozen bikes have had it so I'm getting spoiled.
So was the speedo assembly all that was needed or was there other electrical parts needed?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well I didn't install it, but to my knowledge it was just the speedo unit. It took the mechanic about 20 minutes. There were no other parts and all he said was that he changed the speedo. He said nothing about reprogramming. Now I'm not sure if anything was done about the odometer now reading 0 miles instead of the 1235 miles that it was reading, but my service records says the bike actually had 1235 on the odometer when the speed was changed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well I didn't install it, but to my knowledge it was just the speedo unit. It took the mechanic about 20 minutes. There were no other parts and all he said was that he changed the speedo. He said nothing about reprogramming. Now I'm not sure if anything was done about the odometer now reading 0 miles instead of the 1235 miles that it was reading, but my service records says the bike actually had 1235 on the odometer when the speed was changed.
Thanks for the info. I am going to look into having this done on my bike.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It's so good to hear about really good customer service - the kind that makes you want to keep on using the dealer for years to come. The more that kind of thing happens, the more Indian will build brand loyalty.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's so good to hear about really good customer service - the kind that makes you want to keep on using the dealer for years to come. The more that kind of thing happens, the more Indian will build brand loyalty.
Well they did keep me happy. I'm sure they'll get a return on their investment. I always talk Milwaukee Indian up, also since then I became VP of their Indian riders group and my wife became Secretary/Treasurer. I probably would not have done that if I was unhappy with them.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Old thread I know, but I wonder if the 2016 gear indicator speedo can be placed on the 2015? I'm still fairly new to riding, and have found myself questioning a couple times what gear I was in.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Old thread I know, but I wonder if the 2016 gear indicator speedo can be placed on the 2015? I'm still fairly new to riding, and have found myself questioning a couple times what gear I was in.
I've the privilege of having bikes with and without, and ya, I guess they can come in handy, tho, as somewhat experienced rider I've only found them really missed on a track bike, but even that said, I didnt miss them till I had them! That said, once you lose the "newish rider" title, you wont dwell on not having one! Tho, maybe because I came up in the "pre gadget" era, I'm biased? Lol

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
You do pose a great question though!
I'd like to know.. I don't have a service manual, but im sure the parts required for the new system, are listed, and could be compared to the 15's manual. I think that's where I'd start..

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
My first run 2015 Scout speedo died. The dealer ordered another under warranty and advised me it went through two or three supersessions and ended up being a 2016 speedo. When I start the speedo shows an oil can instead of the letters Lo oil. Much nicer. The parts guys at the dealer are checking out for me whether I can fit the appropriate parts in order to have the gear indicator operate. No word back yet.
Alpal

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
My first run 2015 Scout speedo died. The dealer ordered another under warranty and advised me it went through two or three supersessions and ended up being a 2016 speedo. When I start the speedo shows an oil can instead of the letters Lo oil. Much nicer. The parts guys at the dealer are checking out for me whether I can fit the appropriate parts in order to have the gear indicator operate. No word back yet.
Alpal
Ill be watching alpal, I am intrigued. Id bet it there is a way.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I do find with the Scout is that the motor is relatively smooth so sometimes it tough to know if you're in high gear. Before they switched out my speedometer for the newer one I was always up shifting just to check what gear I was in. Also since I have multiple bikes it's a little harder to distinguish what gear you are in jumping from bike to bike. So it was a little annoying after going for a few miles in high gear that I would check to see if I was in high gear. It's nice just to look down at the speedo now.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Ill be watching alpal, I am intrigued. Id bet it there is a way.
H Hatt,

Yeah, I'll keep you posted. In fact thanks for the reminder. I'll,check with the dealer again next week.
Alpal

Reactions: jjongkp
1 - 20 of 83 Posts