Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would sure appreciate it if someone could take the time to give me a quick step-by-step for a 2015 Scout coolant change. I was on the fence about doing it until my local dealer said they would nick me $200.00. Unless there is a good reason, I'd rather do it myself. They also told me that the only time they pressurize Scout cooling systems if they are chasing a leak. Any help is sure appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would sure appreciate it if someone could take the time to give me a quick step-by-step for a 2015 Scout coolant change. I was on the fence about doing it until my local dealer said they would nick me $200.00. Unless there is a good reason, I'd rather do it myself. They also told me that the only time they pressurize Scout cooling systems if they are chasing a leak. Any help is sure appreciated. Thank you.
Had to drain down my 2016 Scout recently so I could get the stator cover off to fix an oil leak.
Dropping the coolant is easy enough; take off the radiator guard and remove one end of the bottom radiator hose.
Filling is not so easy but starts with putting the bottom hose and guard back on. Then you have to remove the seat and fuel tank so you can get at the pressure cap. The way the hoses run up and over the engine between the pressure cap and the radiator means they tend to airlock making it almost impossible to fill without using a vacumm bleeder. I got it done eventually but honestly I won't be doing it again without a vacumm bleeder. So a vacumm bleeder would fit in place of the pressure cap and it draws out the air and then returns the coolant. The coolant line to the reservoir tank has to be pinched while doing this so it doesn't suck air. Once the system is full you put the pressure cap back on, release the pinch from the reservoir pipe and fill the reservoir tank to about 1/2 full. Put the bike back together and start it up. Once it gets up to temp the fan will come on and should go off again. Shut it down and check the reservoir level. The manual says you may have to repeat the bleed process until the reservoir tank stays at the cold/fill level. I didn't do that because I measured the quantity that came out originally and put exactly the same amount back in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts