Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Roadmaster Black
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered. I did a couple of variations of searches for "oil", and went 5 pages deep on the search results and didn't see an answer to my question (leads me to believe it is a stupid question or common knowledge)
After a 15 hours round trip drive on Saturday pulling a trailer, I finally got home with my very first Indian (2015 RM)
I bought the bike from a non Indian dealer out of state (they took it in trade)
The bike passed a state inspection in the state I bought it from and the dealer supposedly did a "service" (oil change, brake fluid check, etc) before they put it out for sale.
On Sunday my buddy (with a Scout) stopped over and we were giving the bike the once over, checking, pads, fluids, etc.
I pulled the dipstick and the oil was very clean but it was a reddish color, almost like ATF.
Is this normal? My friends Scout oil looks like normal oil and all the motor cycles I have had in my life the oil was the color of oil (kind of golden/honey color), and my '30 ford with a flathead uses BradPenn oil which is a greenish color. but i have not seen red motor oil, either mineral based or synthetic...
The only "red" oil I remember seeing is some stuff my buddy puts in his Harley primary(red line maybe?)
Any way, sorry for another oil thread, but I just want to make sure "red" oil is normal for Indian TS111.
Thanks for the info.
Chappy
gratuitous bike picture below....;)

·
Registered
2015 Roadmaster Black
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update for future search results...
After an evening and afternoon of researching I finally found out what the "red" oil is.
Klotz 20w50 full synthetic.
Going to run this for an oil life cycle and then try the Klotz 15w60 (local dealer recommended) for the next oil cycle and see which performs better for my bike
Thanks all.
Chappy

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
IMO, the 20W Performers netter with high outside temps 25°C / 77°F and higher.

Just my experience, especially for smooth shifting.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Chappy444
1 - 3 of 3 Posts