Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

2015 RM Abs, speedometer, more :(

493 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  EvilMonkey
So my lovely 2015 RM is sick. She's suffering from the following

Started out as intermittent speedo not working with abs light. Took to dealership for a primary gasket replacement and now she has the following,
No abs
No cruise
Check engine light on
No speedo at all.
Radio volume is out of control loud. I have to keep it at 2 or 3 instead of the usual 15-17
No mpg
Odometer not clicking miles. I just rode 300miles with no change

Anyone have a clue what the issue might be and how to remedy?

SPN 84 FMI 19
SPN 907 FMI 5
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
to me this sounds like pinched/compromised wiring harness.
the abs/cruise/speedo/odometer are all related.
radio is somewhat independant.
check-engine its own system.

of the 3 the abs/cruise/speedo/odometer are the easiest for the shade tree mechanic to trace - at least at first.
if your are comfortable, remove windshield, headlight betzel and outer fairing |
outer fairing held on by ~5 allen screws under windshield, a screw behind each speaker cover, plus 2 more one each side easily reached/visible, plus head light bolts. for the 5 bolts under windshield allen socket on a wobble extension is you friend)
removing left side cowling, remove sensor (1 bolt) over abs ring gear, clean it and reinstall, trace wire into fairing and its plug, trace that into where it connects, that junction likely a big plug where abs/cruise/speedo all join up. Even if nothing "looks" wrong, disconnect the plug, look for corrosion, reseat the plug maybe that is all that is wrong.

your radio is a 8"x8" square box underneath the motor that raises/lower windshield
its power is a wire on starboard side of bike(right) trace that to its plug, and do same.
as for check engine - I have no clue.
See less See more
I was cleaning mine up a bit. Decided to do some deep cleaning and removed the seat. Both battery cables were loose. I have read on here they have had some strange problems fixed by tightening battery connections? Maybe a short to ground. Bad fuse connection ?
  • Helpful
Reactions: 1
SPN 84 FMI 19 reads Vehicle speed sensor with a received vehicle speed has an error
SPN 907 FMI 5 is a Wheel Seed sensor Rear with a open/short

So you have an issue with the rear ABS sensor. This would explain most of what you are seeing short of the radio issue. Dean
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
@Dean E thanks for pointing OP at Rear tire, I was just assuming front tire was the issue as radio was involved.

the general advice of removing the one bolt holding sensor over ABS ring gear (round ring with square cogs)
and cleaning thant sensor, reattach and following the wire to where it connects and clean/reseat that applies to both rear and front.

the rear ABS sensor is on port side of bike (left) and its wire is zipped tied to swing arm
that wire dips just behind the swing-arm pivot/axle and right there is a quick disconnect plug.

I would inspect wire for damage and plug for corrosion.

based on error code I would do both rear and front inspections but start with the rear.
@Dean E thanks for pointing OP at Rear tire, I was just assuming front tire was the issue as radio was involved.

the general advice of removing the one bolt holding sensor over ABS ring gear (round ring with square cogs)
and cleaning thant sensor, reattach and following the wire to where it connects and clean/reseat that applies to both rear and front.

the rear ABS sensor is on port side of bike (left) and its wire is zipped tied to swing arm
that wire dips just behind the swing-arm pivot/axle and right there is a quick disconnect plug.

I would inspect wire for damage and plug for corrosion.

based on error code I would do both rear and front inspections but start with the rear.
Cleaning the rear sensor would be a start. I believe you can go to the disconnect at the sensor and do a simple resistence reading to verify the sensor. Did this start with a replacement of the rear tire or any work out back? There is a gap setting for the rear sensor that is shimmed out. I normally remove the ABS sensor for the rear tire when removing the back wheel assy. If someone was back there and did not do this they might have scrapped or damage the sensor during the rear wheel r and r. Dean
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
In this type of situation I would go back to the time before the service work. Everything was working before you took it in, correct? You said you had the primary gasket changed. That should not require any work on the wheels or fairing where a lot of the electrical connection reside. Meed a little more info before and after the service work. P.
As far as the radio, once i get to 3 it is blaring loud, on both of the Roadmasters i have had. So to me it sounds like whatever was wrong with the radio is now better.
Sorry getting back to this late. After a lot of reading I believe it's the rear abs sensor. Gonna have it looked at next week. We shall see. I'm thinking HD in my future haha
SPN 84 FMI 19 reads Vehicle speed sensor with a received vehicle speed has an error
SPN 907 FMI 5 is a Wheel Seed sensor Rear with a open/short

So you have an issue with the rear ABS sensor. This would explain most of what you are seeing short of the radio issue. Dean
Let me add to what Dean stated...the speed sensor does affect the volume of the radio as there is an option to control the volume using the menu on the dash,and selecting your option with the left paddle on the handlebar.
I have mine set to increase volume as speed increases...
Let me add to what Dean stated...the speed sensor does affect the volume of the radio as there is an option to control the volume using the menu on the dash,and selecting your option with the left paddle on the handlebar.
I have mine set to increase volume as speed increases...
That might be a feature on the RMs that have the Ride Command but I have never seen anything in the display menu for that in the 2015 RMs. Dean
My 15 Chieftain has a setting where you can choose the sound system to increase the volume as you ride.Your RM should have this feature too,check your owners manual.
I had a similar issue, no Speedo, no ABS, no cruise, turn signals would not self cancel, ect … 907 code … (my odometer was still working, I think that’s controlled by the front speed sensor) … it was the rear wheel speed sensor. I replaced it and everything was back to normal …

The sensor is just a magnet. It reads the pulses from the ring to determine speed. Front and rear work together through the ABS module to pulse the brakes in a hard stop …

Here’s a few pictures … the cable from the VSS. The sensor is held in place by 1 bolt. Be careful when you remove it, the 2 or 3 spacers will probably fall out…

It routes under the shock linkage …

… because of the way is routed. You can’t remove the cable without either cutting it, then route it a different way, detaching the shock linkage from the swing arm or … Removing the pins from the connector then reassembling it … (probably the easiest) …

… and plugs in to the ABS module…

See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
My 15 Chieftain has a setting where you can choose the sound system to increase the volume as you ride.Your RM should have this feature too,check your owners manual.
Yeap, found it. Been a while since i was back into that setup feature. Ya learn something new everyday. I agree then all the issues seen would be related then. Good find. Dean
That might be a feature on the RMs that have the Ride Command but I have never seen anything in the display menu for that in the 2015 RMs. Dean
I didn't know there was a setting for this, but my 2016 Roadmaster increases in volume when my speed increases.
for MC's without ridecommand such as my 2016 Chieftian.
its called "automatic volume control" you can have it on/off as well as adjust how much it bumps volume with speed.
here is the relevant pages from the riders manual.
having these settings too strong might explain why people say radio is blaring at level 3
I think the scale goes up to 30, I usually ride 9-13.

See less See more
I had a similar issue, no Speedo, no ABS, no cruise, turn signals would not self cancel, ect … 907 code … (my odometer was still working, I think that’s controlled by the front speed sensor) … it was the rear wheel speed sensor. I replaced it and everything was back to normal …

The sensor is just a magnet. It reads the pulses from the ring to determine speed. Front and rear work together through the ABS module to pulse the brakes in a hard stop …

Here’s a few pictures … the cable from the VSS. The sensor is held in place by 1 bolt. Be careful when you remove it, the 2 or 3 spacers will probably fall out…
View attachment 746155
It routes under the shock linkage …
View attachment 746156
… because of the way is routed. You can’t remove the cable without either cutting it, then route it a different way, detaching the shock linkage from the swing arm or … Removing the pins from the connector then reassembling it … (probably the easiest) …
View attachment 746158
… and plugs in to the ABS module…
View attachment 746159
View attachment 746160 View attachment 746161 View attachment 746162
I believe this is my issue as well. Apparently there was a recall on these? That's what dealer stated when I called.

Also update, my rear light no longer works. Brake light works fine. Probably unrelated.
There was a recall on the Gear Position Sensor … I’m not aware of a Wheel Speed Sensor recall … (but if there is and they fix it … that’s great!)

Did you get a check engine light or code for the Tail Light? (520321 code)
There was a recall on the Gear Position Sensor … I’m not aware of a Wheel Speed Sensor recall … (but if there is and they fix it … that’s great!)

Did you get a check engine light or code for the Tail Light? (520321 code)
Yes I did actually. 520321 4 I believe
1 - 20 of 21 Posts