Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sturgis 2014....took the demo ride yesterday on the new Scout. Holy jumpin up and down!!! 10 0f 10. The wife & I are running cruisers, 1300 & 1100, this is a match and likely better than either. Wife said it had the basic feel of a 250 or so (being low center of gravity), response was fantastic and the power/acceleration were a dream as she blew my doors off on I-90. Here's the grin...I had ONLY one negative comment for the after ride. Obviously body position and reach are much different than my current ride, and my riding boots left me feeling awkward while shifting. Heel/toe shift and boards vs. toe shift and peg are the cause there. I know that would be cured in another 20 minutes of going down the road. If you are serious about a classic, reasonably priced machine that will take you down the road, look carefully at this one. By-The-Way, guess who's going through the options list so she can accessorize. RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sturgis 2014....took the demo ride yesterday on the new Scout. Holy jumpin up and down!!! 10 0f 10. The wife & I are running cruisers, 1300 & 1100, this is a match and likely better than either. Wife said it had the basic feel of a 250 or so (being low center of gravity), response was fantastic and the power/acceleration were a dream as she blew my doors off on I-90. Here's the grin...I had ONLY one negative comment for the after ride. Obviously body position and reach are much different than my current ride, and my riding boots left me feeling awkward while shifting. Heel/toe shift and boards vs. toe shift and peg are the cause there. I know that would be cured in another 20 minutes of going down the road. If you are serious about a classic, reasonably priced machine that will take you down the road, look carefully at this one. By-The-Way, guess who's going through the options list so she can accessorize. RIDE SAFE
That is great to hear! So this thing has some power and grunt eh?

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK The wife's ride is an 1100 metric (no brand names). It has some soup, but now seems "top heavy" in comparison to the Scout. The curb weights are within 25 lbs or so. She has about 4000 miles of seat time since April 12, the day she got her endorsement. I was intrigued by the quick response/acceleration, better than my 1300. She was hooked by the ease of shift and controlled acceleration. I had it up to speed in a hurry still in the lower gears with higher RPMs while she experimented with lower speeds, at first! I say lower gears cause as I said, I was moving!! and then realized I had two more. Once the wife adjusted to the different handling, she came past me without a glance. At a stop during the ride I asked What do you think? Response...Gotta have the Stage 1 pipes, its so quiet. LOL - she is running Hard Chrome pipes now & they do have some crackle. IMO unless you want a real beast, this 1100 will do about anything you could ask.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That is great to hear! Did you get to ride it at all?

How tall is she? Did she ride with any of the "Reduced Reach" equipment on the bike that you know of? How will larger riders feel on the Scout? I don't need to know personally as I am average height, but there are a few 6 foot + guys that have been asking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the wife. I'm 5'6" and about 165 pounds. The demo bikes were all set up with the standard equipment. Later on we visited the sales area, and I was able to try different options. Because I'm a little long legged, I thought the extended reach seat might be a good fit, but with that I would have had to change to handlebars too. Yes, we got to ride the bikes for about 7 miles down the service road, over the railroad tracks, and then back the 7 miles on the Interstate. I was a little nervous to start with because I'm still new to riding, but it didn't take me long to get comfortable. I nearly took it out for another demo ride because I didn't want to stop!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts