Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
It aint rocket science...and it aint going to hurt nothing

I know the book said do it at 500, color in the lines.
Had a few friends tell me when breaking in a new engine, they do 100.
Will do again, with all the other checklist items, at 500 and the dealer
Will be nice to see the "official" Indian video when made

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Thanks for making this video :)

Reactions: DTyndale

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you for making the oil change video Dtyndale, looking forward in getting my Scout and doing most of my maintenance on it. I found that using a motorcycle chock really helps keeping most motorcycles up straight to work on them. Here is what my motorcycle chock looks like and I picked it up at Cycle gear on sale for $79.99. Harbor Freight Tools have their motorcycle chock on sale for $39. Hope these items help others out there who are going to do their own maintenance on their Scout.
IMG_3286.JPG

HFT motorcycle chock
Motorcycle Stand / Wheel Chock

·
Registered
148 Posts
Great video. I'm also "limited" in the wrench skills department, but you made it look pretty simple. Not crazy about having to removed and reattach the horn, but "it is what it is". After seeing the oil on yours, I am now planning to do the 100 mile or so change as well before taking it back to the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Has anyone determined whether the initial oil is the same as the synthetic that goes in at 500 miles?

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Help for all my fellow Scout owners - My low oil light came on during initial start up - checked it and yes it is down a quart? No big deal, dealer obviously didn't top things off.
HOWEVER, I noticed a bright green color on the black dip stick when I checked the oil. My first thought was YIKES - antifreeze; (I only have run the bike for 2 miles) so I wondered if the original oil had a green tint to it?

Since it's Christmas day I called my very cool Indian bike mechanic who suggested it was a dye they PUT IN THE OIL of new bikes during initial prep which helps them find leaks. He said if coolant/water had made it into the crankcase the oil would have looked frothy brown or a coffee latte color.

Still curious I found this on the internet :}

My engine oil is green color. Its normal?

Klotz is red, Amzoil is green, Stihl oil is bright green, Echo oil is gold, Husqvarna oil is blue.
Oh those germans..Stihl says their green oil is 80%biodegradable in 21 days...good marketing ploy..me ... i save my old motor oil until earth day when I have a huge bonfire. Old motor oil is great to start fire for my old race car tires...

You would think Polaris would tell us about the green color so we wouldn't be alarmed.

Attachments

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
It aint rocket science...and it aint going to hurt nothing

I know the book said do it at 500, color in the lines.
Had a few friends tell me when breaking in a new engine, they do 100.
Will do again, with all the other checklist items, at 500 and the dealer
Will be nice to see the "official" Indian video when made
I was given a wrench when I picked up my bike

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
man, I wish I had a Indian wrench. Let me know if you need to take off the horn (everyone else has) to take off the filter. If you got a part number on it, would be worth and order.

Rode 40 miles, cranking 4000+ RPM today before snow moves in tonight. I am happy

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I too almost panicked. I never seen green oil, and the black dipstick is hard to read. Finally tasted it; it's wasn't antifreeze...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tasted it? Haha! That's ballsy. Quick question: Is the coolant in the radiator even green? Some types are orange, and others are fluorescent yellow, in addition to the plain ol' green stuff.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I too almost panicked. I never seen green oil, and the black dipstick is hard to read. Finally tasted it; it's wasn't antifreeze...
Good thing you didn't put your finger in it.:p

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Horn on Export Scout is in the front, so no problem te get to the oil filter.
View attachment 4456
Looks like it is in front of the radiator. In America horn is behind it, go figure.

I wish they would have put the old Indian horn on the front of the bike, like the olden days.

Reactions: raysred1
1 - 20 of 28 Posts