Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone so I did purchase this 2015 Indian Scout with what was indicated as a bad ECM and Radiator.
The Indian dealer stated that the rear aftermarket taillight the p.o put on is what shorted out the ECM.
He said the the p.o put a standard bulb and tail light and that the Scout was all LED which blew the ECM. Hmmm dunno about this.
He mentioned it also needed a new rad, ok I can handle the R&R of that.
There was also a safety check done and it listed a cracked crankcase on the left side by the shifter linkage.
Investigating this it appears the crack is at the outer edge of the left motor mount. One large bolt goes through this support.

Question? Can this spot be welded?

Thanks for any help folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hard to see in the pictures, but I would think you could have that brazed no problem. Especially once you have access with the front sub-frame off.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
From the look of the pic, the crack is along the extension to the bracket. If it was to break away it would only take a portion of the fitting. It would be a different story of the whole bracket was at risk.
My guess is that once removed from the bike it could be welded and bolted up OK again.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
It's possible that the standard globe blew the ECM. These bikes run Canbus and the voltages are managed by the central computer. When something is wrong it can do strange things.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Aluminum,not sure about brazing.Will probably need to be TIG welded.
Yep I don’t know anything about tig, but I have some schooling for brazing, soldering, mig, and arc welding but I’ve only ever brazed Aluminium before. Though now that I think about it, it could also be repaired with Heli-arc.

·
Registered
393 Posts
considering that motor mount is a structural part of the frame welding it may not be a good enough fix. but i know i tried to warn you not to buy that bike and now you know why it was really so cheap. you need to go over every inch of that frame for more cracks because that bike has clearly been crashed at some point if it was reported or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
considering that motor mount is a structural part of the frame welding it may not be a good enough fix. but i know i tried to warn you not to buy that bike and now you know why it was really so cheap. you need to go over every inch of that frame for more cracks because that bike has clearly been crashed at some point if it was reported or not.
Yes you did duces. I looked everywhere I could see with a flashlight on that side of the bike.
Once I start peeling some parts off so a shop can have easier access to weld this, I'll have them take a better look. Hopefully this is all it is and I can get after the tail light.
Btw were these 2015's all incandescent bulbs? As it looks like my turn signals are but the tail light
Hard to see in the pictures, but I would think you could have that brazed no problem. Especially once you have access with the front sub-frame off.
is custom with LED bulbs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The 2015 scouts had incandescent turn signals as they still do currently (except bobber). The factory tail light is a LED unit. I say it’s still far too early though for someone to start saying I told you so, especially if you didn’t pay much for it.
I wouldn’t mind seeing a picture of the radiator though where it’s damaged. The bike doesn’t look obviously wrecked from what I can see. That crack may have been there since it left the factory, wouldn’t surprise me. I myself had trouble with Indian quality control.

·
Bronze member
2,221 Posts
If the deal was really good then spending another $1500 for a used replacement motor might be an option.
(If I wanted to ride that bike, I would not want a cracked and welded crank case. Especially it it was structure/rigidity relevant!)

Plenty of used Scout 69 motors on ebay ...
"motor indian scout 69"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2015 scouts had incandescent turn signals as they still do currently (except bobber). The factory tail light is a LED unit. I say it’s still far too early though for someone to start saying I told you so, especially if you didn’t pay much for it.
I wouldn’t mind seeing a picture of the radiator though where it’s damaged. The bike doesn’t look obviously wrecked from what I can see. That crack may have been there since it left the factory, wouldn’t surprise me. I myself had trouble with Indian quality control.
Thanks Buddyweiser, once I hear from this custom shop Monday I’ll get some parts off the bike for a better look, including the Rad. Probably will take it into a Rad shop for a pressure test and see what’s what.
Looked at the service manual and I’m pretty sure now that the front clip can be removed or unbolted and swung forward to get at the motor mount, while leaving the motor in place.
Think I’ll look at maybe changing the tail light back to stock as I want to have bags. Unless I can figure out why this custom taillight (Led) is toasting ECM’s

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yea I believe the whole front sub-frame comes off easily support the bike under the engine, disconnect the wires, remove the tank, and I believe it’s only 5 bolts. I would definitely have two people though if you do it with the rest of the front end still assembled. I’m sure it’s heavy.
As far as the tail light I’d definitely go stock, not worth the risk if its been determined that’s what fried the ECM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I believe the whole front sub-frame comes off easily support the bike under the engine, disconnect the wires, remove the tank, and I believe it’s only 5 bolts. I would definitely have two people though if you do it with the rest of the front end still assembled. I’m sure it’s heavy.
As far as the tail light I’d definitely go stock, not worth the risk if its been determined that’s what fried the ECM.
Been a while since I updated here.

So turns out the motormount area was a big blob of grey liquid metal. Once knocked off there needed to be a section built up to solidify things. The mechanic is also a custom fabricator from way back so he was awesome in doing the welding. Had to remove the front end but its done. Im now waiting on a new front subframe that the previous owner agreed to pay half. DUCES here mentioned this bike was dropped, he was correct, thanks for the advice Duces.
I'll be changing things back to stock with the taillight and turn signals, had the rad fixed and painted, new battery, new oil change kit, new coolant and a couple hoses, then I won an auction for a used front and rear fenders. The rear needs a little bodywork repair to the tip and a repaint, the front looks like it could be just cleaned and installed for a riding season.
All in All I'd be into this for hmmmm Canadian dollars at $3K for the bike, $2k in parts, $1K or so in labour. $6k give or take and a whole greater understanding of Scout motorcycles = Priceless lol.
Then I'll sell these current fenders and the old main frame on ebay, hopefully get back $1K and grab an aftermaket windscreen or fairing.

Thanks for reading folks, I'll post a before and after photo or two once I get the bike back from the shop.(When the new main frame shows up, damn Covid)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow that’s an awesome weld job. Mine wasn’t all cracked up just a big piece missing that need to be built up. Thanks for posting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts