Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
I expect a full report next week Cecil:D
+1 That!

Get there early, real early because I'm told the lines are long and you might not get a demo ride!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the same thought... will file a report when I get back in front of a computer. We're camping in the Adirondacks for Labor Day weekend, but I'm driving down to Albany Saturday morning for this. Good thing I have a very understanding wife :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bummer, just spoke with my dealer and this is the "Scout 1st run tour" truck coming Saturday, not the demo truck. They'll have 1 Scout in the showroom, people can look and sit on it but no rides. Demo truck dates are September 9-10.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
I went to the Scout preview at Arlen Ness today. Two bikes to view. I was allowed to start it up but no test drives. Love the look, feel and sound. Red is nice. Should have parked my Chieftain next to it to for comparison purposes and see if it is the same Indian Red as my bike. This is a small bike to me. I'm 5' 11" 255 pounds. I hope it does well in the marketplace.
Me on Scout.jpg Red Scout.jpg Black Scout.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Okay guys, just got back from the First Run event... a few quick impressions:

1) Pictures don't do this bike justice. It looks even better in person, especially in red. They also had a silver smoke one there, personally my least favorite color and seeing it today didn't change my mind. I was hoping they would have a black smoke one, but no such luck. Mike (Menneto, my dealer) said gloss black is his best selling color so far. Fit and finish was superb.
2) No demo rides allowed despite my pleading (Demo truck will be there week after next and so will I), but I did sit on it and start it up. Seat is comfortable, lower than I expected, even lower than the Magna I rode for years. Controls are fine, but I wish it had a tachometer. Throttle seems very responsive.
3) The Scout feels even lighter than 558 lb wet, definitely much lighter than the Dyna Fat Bob I just sold. Should be easy for novice riders to maneuver at slow speeds, and a lot of fun with 100HP!
4) Pretty sure I'll be fine with stock foot controls even though I've got short legs (29" inseam). The pegs are definitely closer than my Fat Bob. Not sure if I'll like the stock bars, but I'll probably experiment with handle bar angle before thinking about swapping them out.
5) With stock exhaust it doesn't sound anything like a Harley, more like a metric V-twin. I'm not crazy about looks or sound of stock pipes, will probably live with them for a while but I'm hoping V&H comes out with a Big Radius 2-1 for the Scout.
6) Factory guy said they're developing a solo rack for the rear.

I drove an hour down from camping in the Adirondacks to see it today, almost didn't bother when I found out no demo rides, but glad I did. I got there 20 minutes before the event was supposed to start and there was already a crowd. Dozens of people came in the hour I spent there. Lots of positive comments, and most of the guys looking are HD riders now.

The factory guy was registering people on his iPad for a free Scout giveaway, I signed up and had a "Thank-You" email from Indian 5 minutes later. They've got their act together on marketing.

And for the only real bummer of the day, Mike and the factory guy both said ship dates will be December for First Run bikes, Q1 for others. It's gonna be a long winter.

Time to get back to camp in my new Indian T-shirt... have a great weekend everyone!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Okay guys, just got back from the First Run event...
Thanks for the update CecilP! I'm not gonna see the Scout until late September so any news is good to hear. Cheers!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I went to the Scout preview at Arlen Ness today. Two bikes to view. I was allowed to start it up but no test drives. Love the look, feel and sound. Red is nice. Should have parked my Chieftain next to it to for comparison purposes and see if it is the same Indian Red as my bike. This is a small bike to me. I'm 5' 11" 255 pounds. I hope it does well in the marketplace.
View attachment 1563 View attachment 1564 View attachment 1565
Looks like the same bikes I viewed/sat/started when they came to town. I recall scout tour driver saying that he didn't work for Indian but an advertising agency of some sort.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts