Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
701 - 704 of 704 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Roadmaster - 2001 Honda Shadow 750 - 1975 Honda 550 Four
134 Posts
Thank you for your response. I/We have been riding Honda Shadow and moving to the RM has been difficult. I dropped it in the driveway, and have been intimidated to ride especially 2up.. I know that more time in the saddle will help improve my confidence and skill.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
New owner of a 2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited (8/20/21)
86 Posts
Thank you for your response. I/We have been riding Honda Shadow and moving to the RM has been difficult. I dropped it in the driveway, and have been intimidated to ride especially 2up.. I know that more time in the saddle will help improve my confidence and skill.

Ride Safe.
It's a heavy bike. Before I headed out to TN, I took it to a parking lot and practiced slow turns. Wide ones at first, then tighter and tighter. Keeping the bike in the friction zone and dragging the rear brake does wonders. That practice alone saved me a lot of aggravation on the trip (stop and go highway traffic), and saved me from dropping it a few times. I apologize if you've already done that, but it really helped me. There are some things I did naturally with the Valk, that I have to remind myself to do with the RM. I found myself making some rookie mistakes, like looking at the road in front of the bike in a turn. I was not as comfortable as I used to be, so I reverted back to a beginner in some respects. Make sure you're covering the basics, then keep practicing. I'm about 6,000 miles in on this bike, and I'm still not feeling 100%. I'm am feeling more like we are in synch, but I still have work to do.

I also take a safety rider course for experienced riders every 3-5 years. I assume we all try to practice emergency maneuvers while we ride (sometimes we're forced to), but it's great to get validated by someone who can watch what I'm doing in real time. Like everything else, we have to practice or we simple forget. I haven't signed up yet with the RM, but I'm looking into a fall session. I hope this helps.

701 - 704 of 704 Posts