Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning my 2015 Chieftain I saw that the rear wheel is severely pitted/corroded. This would happen if the chrome has completely peeled off. I was seeing this for a few months and thought that it must be just brake dust and did not bother to check closely. The front wheel chrome is also peeling off. This is in addition to the chrome of the power button peeling off. I have reported this to the dealer (Twin Cities Indian) and they will be taking pictures and reporting this to Polaris this Wednesday when I take my bike for the Stage 1 and Stage 2 work done.
I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I did a quick search of the forum and did not see anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,955 Posts
While cleaning my 2015 Chieftain I saw that the rear wheel is severely pitted/corroded. This would happen if the chrome has completely peeled off. I was seeing this for a few months and thought that it must be just brake dust and did not bother to check closely. The front wheel chrome is also peeling off. This is in addition to the chrome of the power button peeling off. I have reported this to the dealer (Twin Cities Indian) and they will be taking pictures and reporting this to Polaris this Wednesday when I take my bike for the Stage 1 and Stage 2 work done.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I did a quick search of the forum and did not see anything.
Safety alert. Heads Up, Classic and Vintage owners, or anyone who has installed wire wheels

This is the only thing I recall seeing.

·
Bronze member
2,797 Posts
I thought the Chieftain had ally wheels? Had my rear wheel replaced under warranty on my 2015 Chief Vintage because of rust.

·
Bronze member
2,916 Posts
Chrome peeling off power button...my 2016 RM doing that too. Many others experiencing same. Some have just removed it, painted black, and moved on. If replaced, I imagine the new one will do the same.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Chrome peeling off power button...my 2016 RM doing that too. Many others experiencing same. Some have just removed it, painted black, and moved on. If replaced, I imagine the new one will do the same.
Button is plastic I think and covered under warrenty

·
Registered
288 Posts
no wounder Polaris is building shit bikes you lot let them get away with it, yes I have heard the comments on just get over it and enjoy the bike, when are you lot going to learn that you are getting shit product because you lot let them get away with it. The price you pay for these bikes they should be just about faultless, a battery that might last 12mths thats if you ride just about every day, you all pull Harley down for the problems they have, and think that the trouble you get with the Indian is all ok and that is what Indians are, yes I have heard the one about all brands have problems, but not like Indian, maybe Indian should get there bikes made in China because brand name bikes that are being made there are coming out problem free, no soft paint, so peeling chrome bits, batterys that last,
Maybe a list should be made of all the problems and how meany have had that problem, you might find you have enough to have a class action for faulty workmanship.

·
Bronze member
2,916 Posts
no wounder Polaris is building shit bikes you lot let them get away with it, yes I have heard the comments on just get over it and enjoy the bike, when are you lot going to learn that you are getting shit product because you lot let them get away with it. The price you pay for these bikes they should be just about faultless, a battery that might last 12mths thats if you ride just about every day, you all pull Harley down for the problems they have, and think that the trouble you get with the Indian is all ok and that is what Indians are, yes I have heard the one about all brands have problems, but not like Indian, maybe Indian should get there bikes made in China because brand name bikes that are being made there are coming out problem free, no soft paint, so peeling chrome bits, batterys that last,
Maybe a list should be made of all the problems and how meany have had that problem, you might find you have enough to have a class action for faulty workmanship.
Spelling and grammar check can be your friend when trying to craft a post.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for stopping by with the constructive thought provoking post....no really thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't let anything be ignored regarding defects in workmanship. We paid a lot for our bike. Lets face it they only been reintroduced since 2014. I wouldn't spend money on that cam upgrade until they address and correct your problem.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
A friend had pitting chrome on his 6 month old HD and was told enviromental issues are not covered. They told him he should have put a heavy coat of wax on his wheels as soon as he got it to protect. I hope Indian doesn't take that route. Good luck.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Many of us have had the chromed ring around the start button replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do you regularly clean your rims? Unless there was a swap the chieftain and RM don't have Chrome rims as stated above. The power button chrome is an issue they don't seem to have resolved and Indian needs to look into further (they have replaced mine but it looks to be flaking again).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Left the bike at the dealership for the Stage 2 work. They will take a look and let me know whats going on with the wheels. I will post the findings later this evening or tomorrow.

@Phast12 I clean the wheels but since it is so difficult to get to the wheels I did not pay much attention to them... just cleaned them with when I wash the bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Same issue on my Vintage. Not major but I noticed. Able to buff out somewhat but live in Fla., know it will come back.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it seems there is nothing wrong with the rear wheel. It just has a lot of dirt that needs to be cleaned with some solution and fine steel wool which I plan to do this wekend. It is just so that getting to the rear wheel is such a PITA and I did not do a good job of keeping it clean. My bad.. Sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts