Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Well, after years of relentless badgering, I finally got hearing aids a few months ago.
Now I hear all sorts of stuff, not all of it pleasant.
Do any of you hear an excessive amount of noise from the top end? It sounds like a someone threw a handful of pebbles in the rocker box.
The bike runs fine, have 15k on it.
Disclaimer: I am not real happy with the hearing aids, as everything seems overamplified, especially on the high frequencies, so maybe the problem is with them.
I need to find someone with naturally good hearing to listen to it, but all my buddies are old farts like me:confused:
Thanks for any replies.
Stay safe everyone.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I know that there was an issue with clacking in the earlier TS111 engines.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,802 Posts
I had a 2015 Chieftain that had this sound at about 2250 to 2500 rpm with a light load. Usually in 3rd or 4th gear in city riding. The Stage One Fishtails and the radio almost drowned it out but not completely. Other than that I never had any problems with that motor whatsoever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't hear it much at higher speeds, but I figured that the wind was just overpowering it.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Bronze member
1,458 Posts
Try running a FULL synthetic oil.....like a 20W-50....then have the bike tuned by CraigB. Go to the Performance and Suspension section of this forum....and you'll have 6 months of reading to catch up on. Just ride the bike..........you'll be fine!!

·
Rider
1,132 Posts
As mentioned above the early Indians were well known for the top end engine noise. Famously referred to as “clacking”. If you search clacking in the forum you’ll find (as HyeHog mentioned) a Great deal of reading on the subject.
Short version is that Indian/Polaris always claimed it was not a defect, and never offered to fix the issue. No (or very few) damaged engines were ever reported. Many solutions have been offered, and different ones seem to work for different bikes. If it bothers you - do read those threads and try some of them.
My 2015 Roadmaster must be the queen of the clackers. But the original purchaser hated the noise so much I got it a couple of grand cheaper than I expected. So when I hear it it’s just the sound of saving money to me.

·
Premium Member
2021 Roadmaster Icon
64 Posts
I have a friend who solved 90% of the clacking in his 2015RM replaced the cam gears in his bike with the newer, redesigned cam gears from a 2017 TS111. I have read a few other places in this forum about guys with the same story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts