Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All previous investments were for aesthetics only, and there have been 2-3 dozen of those. Just this week I bought a Lloyds brand arrowhead shaped custom air intake with exposed red K&?N filter element. I had a local performance shop do the swap, and they also flashed my ECU with a custom map that is EPA-free. He said it tweaks a few things, but most noticeable will be the increased amount of fuel. They claimed this would provide more throttle response, and also reduce the lean/hot stock setup. Everything else is still stock.

I definitely notice more pop on the throttle. At lower speeds under throttle, the whooshing/sucking sound from the intake is very noticeable.

I'm very happy with the looks and also the perceived increased performance. Too soon too tell if it runs cooler or not. Next, I'm going to get new tires (likely 888s), have the RM air shock I just bought installed, and perhaps have the CAT removed. I'm not sure about the latter yet. The performance shop charges $150 for the CAT gutting. I don't think they weld in a backer plate like that place in Florida does. Not sure if I have to pay for another ECU flash or not.

P.S. Seems like my average mpg dropped by 1-2 with the ECU flash. I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
All previous investments were for aesthetics only, and there have been 2-3 dozen of those. Just this week I bought a Lloyds brand arrowhead shaped custom air intake with exposed red K&?N filter element. I had a local performance shop do the swap, and they also flashed my ECU with a custom map that is EPA-free. He said it tweaks a few things, but most noticeable will be the increased amount of fuel. They claimed this would provide more throttle response, and also reduce the lean/hot stock setup. Everything else is still stock.

I definitely notice more pop on the throttle. At lower speeds under throttle, the whooshing/sucking sound from the intake is very noticeable.

I'm very happy with the looks and also the perceived increased performance. Too soon too tell if it runs cooler or not. Next, I'm going to get new tires (likely 888s), have the RM air shock I just bought installed, and perhaps have the CAT removed. I'm not sure about the latter yet. The performance shop charges $150 for the CAT gutting. I don't think they weld in a backer plate like that place in Florida does. Not sure if I have to pay for another ECU flash or not.

P.S. Seems like my average mpg dropped by 1-2 with the ECU flash. I'm OK with that.

View attachment 604437
Good looking air cleaner!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I suggest you look at the FuelMoto site. They have a nice library of dyno charts to pour through when considering performance changes to the Thunder Stroke 111.

I'm still starting out, as well, so please let us know your lessons learned.

Thanks and best wishes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The performance shop I went to has a Dyno. The guy is really into that, and owns 3 Indians himself. In my case I'm not really going for big performance gains. My main objectives are aesthetics and heat reduction. If my priorities change, then I'm confident this guy can dial it up accordingly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I looked at the Fuelmoto dyno charts on their website, and decided that using an improved tune, all else being stock, was the way I wanted to go. The improved stock chart shows the same amount of torque as those with aftermarket AC and slip-ons. If you’re satisfied with stock muffler sound, you can get cooler, peppier performance for just $400 buying a PV3 and loading the tune. Actually, Dynojet did not have a tune that fit my ecu, so they wrote one for my bike based upon the stock and txt files I sent them. It is an awesome improvement.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the Fuelmoto dyno charts on their website, and decided that using an improved tune, all else being stock, was the way I wanted to go. The improved stock chart shows the same amount of torque as those with aftermarket AC and slip-ons. If you’re satisfied with stock muffler sound, you can get cooler, peppier performance for just $400 buying a PV3 and loading the tune. Actually, Dynojet did not have a tune that fit my ecu, so they wrote one for my bike based upon the stock and txt files I sent them. It is an awesome improvement.
I'm quite pleased with my changes also from the custom airbox and K&N filter and custom ECU mapping. I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT TUNING, but I thought my tuner indicated the devices and their mappings mainly just adjusted fuel mixture. That is a lot, but the implication was that his tunes could adjust other things as well, perhaps timing, idle speed, or whatever. I honestly don't know though. I'm satisfied with the changes.

However, my crusade against V-Twin heat will continue. I will probably have him gut the cat next spring. He said he would tweak the ECU mapping accordingly for no additional charges. I will leave the tailpipes stock. I know it will be a little louder, but I guess that will be OK if it cools that beast down even further. Thank goodness for Captain Itch leather heat shield!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts