Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Vintage for 3 months. Been having trouble with the key fob. Been starting using the combo. No problems. Went to have Indian speakers installed. Now it won't start. Had a professional bike person doing the install. He's good and honest. He took my bike to the local Indian dealer. They as a business don't have a great rep. Well, they tell me its the VSM and it will cost 1 k to fix. Blamed it on the installer. Said he pulled did it wrong. The guy is good. Well they call me and say that the VSM was going but say it not covered under warranty. Really? Ok get it fixed and next time I'll take it 100 miles south to my shop. I mean if there is a question that the thing was going maybe you ought to cover it and keep a good rep. Why call me and say maybe I was maybe right. Either way these guys will never touch my bike again.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
That sucks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've heard its easy to short out the ECU / VSM since it sits right on top of the battery. I don't understand 'the VSM was going'. What does that mean? Who is the Dealer, we'd like to know.

·
Registered
748 Posts
It's definitely tempting to disconnect it before disconnecting the battery. With it on top of the battery and all. But thow shalt not!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer I had to take it to is Got Gear out of JACKSON, MADISON, RIDGELAND Mississippi area. They had called me and told me "Well it could have been the VSM/ECM/VSMI." Now that I got a call the FOB mysteriously works. I told them that reputation should count for something. They say the have been talking to the engineers at Indian. I told them well there are some people very curious about how thy handle this. I think its warranty and they are riding the fence post.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't usually lke to be the Debbie Downer, but three months of your FOB not working, and you don't take it up with the dealer until after your speaker install by someone else? At which point the bike doesn't start completely? The location of the VCM is nasty little trick played by Indian, but I have to think if I were the dealer (and quite honestly, you), I'd be looking at the installer myself. Sorry for your troubles though...it does suck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its done. Bike is back and the dealer signed paperwork that he was contacting the Corp about the situation. He very well understood the situation. Guess what the key FOB (original) works now. He is supposed to submit paperwork for warranty or give it a try. He signed a statement acknowledging the problem. You never know who reads these threads. I know I told the truth. Also, the installer I believe told the truth. He wouldn't be in business because he is well known in this area. A lot of experience with big bikes. Lets just put it this way. His neighbor business is a biker bar and he can't afford a bad rep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts