Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok had my new 2014 Vintage for 2 months. First the key fob stopped working and was using my code. Not bad. Then went to have my speakers (Indian) installed. The bike won't even light up to start. At least its covered by an excellent warranty. Got any ideas on these couple of trouble spots?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Hope the dealer will be able to have you up and running soon.Check for loose battery cable at battery first.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't know whether its Indian/Polaris or dealerships that don't know what they're doing, but there seem to be an awful lot of warranty issues that appear to take entirely too long to fix/correct. Most of the problems revolve around the electronics like this one. Definitely a weak area for Indian/Polaris.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Probally the ground. Finding a ground on aluminum is impossible. We just found this out on the Victory installing an amp. We found a steel bolt and was able to get a good connection.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I improved the battery ground on my Chieftain easily by cleaning the area with sandpaper and then flattening the star points on the ground lugs. The ground bolt is pretty small and not enough torque can be applied to flatten out these star locking features. I also used a good dielectric grease.
However, I was still getting some electronic issues. They were:
1. My battery light would sometimes flash. No other warning lights were present at this time. Battery voltage was normal.
2. My bike forgot the key fob (three times total)
3. Starting in cold weather would result in a "hung" start for about 1.5 seconds. The bike would stop cranking momentarily.
4. The bike would drop comms with my iPod intermittently.

Two weeks ago, I took it to my dealer to get the fob reprogrammed (they replaced it) and they were aware of my other electrical gremlins and my fix to the ground. They suggested doing a software update (no charge). It took them about 30 minutes and they did a full update (It's weird having your bike connected to the internet...). All of my electrical gremlins went away! Two weeks, 1,000 miles, zero problems. I swear that it performs better in the mid range as well. The slightly lower fuel economy numbers tell me that it's using more fuel, my ass tells me that there is more oomph.
I suggest that everyone with a 2014 go and get the latest software update.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh, and the update gets rid of the Brake Throttle Override as well as that goofy pause between the bright and dim lights. The font on the Chieftain readout gets thicker so it's easier to read.
The other really goofy thing is that I had just had the dealer install heated grips on my ride and I wasn't impressed with the level of heat. The RM I took for a demo ride was much hotter on the grips. The software update made my grips hotter! I can't run them at full power without burning my hands now.
If you ride a 2014, get the software updated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 2014 Chief Vintage 10 days ago from a dealer in Vegas. I love my "new" bike! However, it has sporadically been shutting down while riding. It will start just fine, then without warning, while riding the whole electrical system just shuts off. I will let it sit for a few minutes then it will come back on, and start again with no problem. The longest it has not "come back to life" is 15 minutes. No rhyme or reason to it. The whole electrical system just goes limp (no flashers, or anything else) then just comes back on. Any suggestions on what to do first, second, etc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts