Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

2014 Vintage Oil Leak

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  MillChief 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2014 Vintage Indian. At 1700 miles it developed a slow oil leak around the cam cover. The dealership is working on it but I'm curious if any other owners have experienced any other oil leak like mine. The bike is a smooth ride and every one has made positive comments.

#2 · (Edited)
My Chieftain developed a cam cover leak at 1900 miles.
Forward top of the cam cover.
It only seems to leak after the bike gets really good and hot. A 20 minute ride through town won't leak much, but if I hit the interstate on the way home with sustained rpm, high speed and heat(Florida in August), I'll see a little oil around the top of the cam cover and on the pipe.

#7 ·
Regarding oil leak on front of cam cover.

My Chiefstan started doing the same with just a few hundred miles on it. I contacted Indian and advised them that they had a problem with oil pumping through the bolt hole on the front of the cam cover. It wasn't leaking around the main seal between the cam cover and engine case. Called the Indian dealer whom I bought the bike from. Made an appointment to have the gasket replace. That fixed the problem.

#8 ·
I had the gasket replaced, picked the bike up on Tuesday. Today (Sunday), after a two hour ride in 95+ degree weather, it's leaking again. Back to the dealer Wednesday.

#11 · (Edited)
Thursday I rode home from work. Just got to the top of a hill and stopped at a light. With 1.8 miles to go the lights turn green. I roll out and attempt to change into second and my clutch pedal is frozen. Nothing. I pull over and try to shift up and down again and nothing. I'm frozen in first. I turn the bike on and off again. I let the clutch out to stall the bike. I rock it back and forth. Nothing works. So I limp home in first and call my dealer.

My my dealer is packing bikes to go do a show. He tells me to wait until Friday and he will send a contractor.

I call my dealer the next day and he tells me to call indian roadside. Did your guys know we have a year of roadside assistance with a tow up to 50 miles? I didn't. So the roadside people contact Polaris because they want to send me to another dealer that is closer. I agree. The dealer contacts me and 20 minutes later the driver takes my bike no questions asked. Thirty minutes later the dealer calls to tell me that they have bike safe and sound. They checked it out. It's stuck in first which everyone (including myself) find baffling the dealer calls Polaris and Polaris says fix it regardless of the cost it's under warranty and Polaris will get the bills. I hate that after 2500 miles my bike shut down. But I love the response of the Indian Dealership of Orange County and Polaris.

This weekend I spent a good portion of the morning fixing my Shadow and got it back up and running. Until my Classic is back, I'll ride that bike, which I have missed. It's been a good bike and fun one to ride. And it proves once again "the motorcyclist formula" of (n + 1) = How many motorcycles one needs. Where n = the number of motorcycles one actually has. My + 1 would be the scout (just sayin).

#12 · (Edited)
I live in Australia and own a 2014 Vintage, with 3,300 km. That's just over 2,000 miles. I noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor yesterday and can see that oil has traveled over the cross member, due to being on the side stand and dripped onto the left side swing arm. I can't see where it has originated from. I took the bike for a quick ride and checked the oil level, put it on a lift and left it overnight. Only one drop of oil today and that was from the oil that was there yesterday. Baffled!
Just found the problem. It's the rear shock leaking. In for warranty repairs tomorrow.

#13 ·
Had the same problem on my chieftain around 800 miles. Took it in to dealer they replaced the cam cover gasket and that fixed the problem. The oil was coming through the cam cover bolt hole front top hole. I think they must have got in a hurry and nicked the edge of the gasket when putting the motor together.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.