Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the 2014's with what I believe is the rear pulley noise. I have been doing a lot of reading on this. Seems like they were upgraded in mid-2015 to a improved version.
Today I ordered a 2016 rear pulley from Eaby with cush-drive. (donor bike had 18k)
Is this all I need to change, or is the belt different also??
I have been searching on line and it seems many people say pulley change, and some say belt and pulley change. No one seems to really say if the belt has to be changed or if they are just doing it for piece of mind while they are changing the pulley.
My bike only has 11k miles on it (bought it last summer with 1400) so I don't really want to change the belt if I don't need to. But, will if needed.
thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one of the 2014's with what I believe is the rear pulley noise. I have been doing a lot of reading on this. Seems like they were upgraded in mid-2015 to a improved version.
Today I ordered a 2016 rear pulley from Eaby with cush-drive. (donor bike had 18k)
I have been searching on line and it seems many people say pulley change, and some say belt and pulley change. No one seems to really say if the belt has to be changed or if they are just doing it for piece of mind while they are changing the pulley.
My bike only has 11k miles on it (bought it last summer with 1400) so I don't really want to change the belt if I don't need to. But, will if needed.
thanks
I recently changed the pulley on my 14 Vintage with the updated part due to belt noise. The original belt will fit, no other parts should be required.
After the pulley was changed, no more noise!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently changed the pulley on my 14 Vintage with the updated part due to belt noise. The original belt will fit, no other parts should be required.
After the pulley was changed, no more noise!
Awesome, just what I was hoping to hear. Was your noise mostly when the bike was cold and when under acceleration? That’s were most of my noise is. Sounds more like a rusty bearing then a belt. Hope this is the fix . Thanks

·
Bronze member
2,227 Posts
I had my pulley changed, but the cheap bastards didn't change the belt with the pulley. I almost always have a squeal or squeak. I'd change the belt also.
Unless my belt has been freshly cleaned it makes noise. But the belt is still going, and I have 66,000 annoying miles on the bike. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ordered my pulley yesterday morning and surprisingly it got delivered today. Got it put on, and went for a test ride. Bike sounds great. It had gotten loud that I was going to stop riding it until it got fixed because I was worried that the rear bearing was about to freeze up. No noise now. Glad I didn't take it to the dealers (closest one is about 100 miles away) I spent $56 for the pulley. would have cost me way more than that to take it in. I'm happy, now I just hope it doesn't come back.
thanks

·
Bronze member
3,057 Posts
FWIW: On motorcycles that use a cush drive, [a lot of em now do] what I have learned from past experience working on these machines is, when the rear wheel is removed for tire R+R,I clean the cush drive itself and the hub it fits into,thoroughly,then lightly coat ONLY the rubber cush drive itself with "DIE ELECTRIC" grease and she runs nice and quiet.If you use regular grease,as it heats up,it will melt and make a big mess all over the wheel and hub,where die electric grease will not,hence,no mess. Dave!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks
I had a squealing pulley on my 2014 Chieftain. It was so bad that when pulling away from a stoplight, people started yelling at me that something was wrong with my bike. I happened to be in Sturgis during the rally, they would have fixed it but had no parts on hand and were swamped. I told the Service Manager at Sturgis my local dealership said nothing was wrong. The Service Manager said that if my local dealership wouldn't fix it, ride back up and Sturgis would. I advised my local service manager of what I was told in Sturgis, a day later was called and advised the fix would be made. However, the local dealership refused to put a new belt on, despite what I was told would be done in Sturgis. Haven't been back to the local dealership. New pulley fixed the problem.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW: On motorcycles that use a cush drive, [a lot of em now do] what I have learned from past experience working on these machines is, when the rear wheel is removed for tire R+R,I clean the cush drive itself and the hub it fits into,thoroughly,then lightly coat ONLY the rubber cush drive itself with "DIE ELECTRIC" grease and she runs nice and quiet.If you use regular grease,as it heats up,it will melt and make a big mess all over the wheel and hub,where die electric grease will not,hence,no mess. Dave!!!
Already, have it back together, nice and quiet, but I didn’t use any grease on the Cush drive. Do you think I need to take it back apart and geese it?

·
Bronze member
3,057 Posts
Only if it makes noise.In the meantime,the next time ya have the back wheel off for tire R+R ,THEN DO IT!! It's an easy and simple task to perform and will pay ya dividends over the long run!! OK?? In the meantime ENJOY!!! (y) (y) ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts