Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Founding Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at a new 2014 Red Chieftain(with the 5 year warranty) or the 2015(with the 2 year)in Red and Cream. The difference is about 3 grand more for the 2015.I know the 15's have some bugs worked out and better paint but the 5 year warranty and 3 grand in my pocket is hard to pass up...Decisions, Decisions...Thought?
IMG_4336.JPG IMG_4261.JPG

Reactions: harry

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I went through this a month ago and took the 14. I thought I might like the two tone but didn't love it that much versus red. I have been happy since there is no real differences for the money. I have 2500 miles and love it. It is still stock except the windshield .... I have a little hard shifting from 1st to 2nd once in awhile but hope this will improve with miles.

·
Founding member
678 Posts
I'm looking at a new 2014 Red Chieftain(with the 5 year warranty) or the 2015(with the 2 year)in Red and Cream. The difference is about 3 grand more for the 2015.I know the 15's have some bugs worked out and better paint but the 5 year warranty and 3 grand in my pocket is hard to pass up...Decisions, Decisions...Thought?
View attachment 3449 View attachment 3450
I have a Blue 14 and love it. That said, I wish I would have waited til the 15's, I love the blue and Ivory two tone and the ergonomics are better on the 15's. Tough decision you have to make. Bucks is bucks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I too had the same tough choice. I bought the 14 for the 5 yr coverage and the better interest rate being offered at the time. By no means am I sorry for my choice. I plan on changing the bars to the 15's, mine shifts just fine from 1-2 and the paint hasn't been an issue yet. Also I got a numbered bike that might only mean something to the 1901 owners (to me it makes it just that much more exclusive). It's a great bike!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a 2014 right after the reveal in 2013. The 5 yr warranty wasn't my first thought but a great option for down the road. An incentive to buy, granted but most dealerships would claim Victory owners haven't had major problems in years. If the confidence level is there in 2015 for Indian, then WHY reduce the 5 year to 2 years for the Chieftain and Roadmaster yet push the Scout with a 5 yr warranty. If a 2014 Chieftain is available and since no major changes were done to the 2015 Chieftain other than stepping up to a touring view, this consumer would say BUY the 2014 for the 5 year warranty for peace of mind! Polaris is out to make money now that they have consumer attention and charging for an extended warranty is a gimmic as with any new vehicle. Again, if confidence is there in the product, then giving a 5 year warranty for ALL the Indian bike lines is a no brainer! Offering a 2 year warranty shows lack of confidence don't you think?

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I bought a 2014 right after the reveal in 2013. The 5 yr warranty wasn't my first thought but a great option for down the road. An incentive to buy, granted but most dealerships would claim Victory owners haven't had major problems in years. If the confidence level is there in 2015 for Indian, then WHY reduce the 5 year to 2 years for the Chieftain and Roadmaster yet push the Scout with a 5 yr warranty. If a 2014 Chieftain is available and since no major changes were done to the 2015 Chieftain other than stepping up to a touring view, this consumer would say BUY the 2014 for the 5 year warranty for peace of mind! Polaris is out to make money now that they have consumer attention and charging for an extended warranty is a gimmic as with any new vehicle. Again, if confidence is there in the product, then giving a 5 year warranty for ALL the Indian bike lines is a no brainer! Offering a 2 year warranty shows lack of confidence don't you think?
Reducing the warranty to 2 years is probably a way to get the remaining 2014 models out of the showrooms. The magazine reviews, bike of the years, the praise from the owners, etc. instills a lot of confidence. I think the 5 year warrantee may sell some bikes, but for the majority of us who bought them it was probably icing on the cake. What other American motorcycle choice is there? A Harley or a Victory. If the price and the warrantees were identical....what would you buy today? A Harley, A Victory, or an Indian? I would still buy an Indian.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If the price and the warrantees were identical....what would you buy today? A Harley, A Victory, or an Indian? I would still buy an Indian.
I would buy Indian. Harleys are everywhere and, as well made as the Victories are, the styling just doesn't suit my fancy.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,037 Posts
Howdy Folks,
Regarding the hard shift from 1st to 2nd: I bought my Chieftain in January and experienced this for the first few thousand miles, and then it faded away. So I thought it was just a break-in thing, however, it was also warming up as Spring came on. Now that the weather is cooling down again I'm finding that the hard shift has returned, the effort increasing the colder it is. At 20,000 miles it is clearly not a break-in issue. I'd guess it has to do with cold oil and a wet clutch. After that first high effort shift all is well.

I think the 5-year warranty was to get folks to take a chance on a new design, its probably too much to expect that Polaris would make it standard; who else offers a 5-year warranty on any kind of vehicle?

There really doesn't seem to be that much difference between. the '14 and '15 Chiefs.
--- Randall

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Reducing the warranty to 2 years is probably a way to get the remaining 2014 models out of the showrooms. The magazine reviews, bike of the years, the praise from the owners, etc. instills a lot of confidence. I think the 5 year warrantee may sell some bikes, but for the majority of us who bought them it was probably icing on the cake. What other American motorcycle choice is there? A Harley or a Victory. If the price and the warrantees were identical....what would you buy today? A Harley, A Victory, or an Indian? I would still buy an Indian.
Indian; hands down.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,378 Posts
View attachment 3449 View attachment 3450
I am not sure I would say the paint is better. The finish on my Roadmaster is pretty soft. A big plus is the new handle bars. Much more comfortable for a longer ride. Purchase the 14, put the newer handlebars on it and enjoy the 5 year warranty. Dean E

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am not sure I would say the paint is better. The finish on my Roadmaster is pretty soft. A big plus is the new handle bars. Much more comfortable for a longer ride. Purchase the 14, put the newer handlebars on it and enjoy the 5 year warranty. Dean E
What new handlebars?

·
Founding Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The handlebars on the 15 Chieftain/Roadmaster are more relaxed(pulled back,closer to the rider) and they are interchangeable with the 14.
I took another look at the 15 paint jobs and Dean E is right, there's not much difference.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Does anyone have any idea of how many 2014 chieftains were made? I was told I got the last one in red for northeast / central Florida but keep hearing about deals on 14's ......when I picked mine up it had 3 miles on it but didn't know when production ended on 14 .... Maybe demos still out there...

·
Founding Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are the last 4 digits in your serial number? I'm checking into the last 14's myself.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
From what I have heard there are no more that 10,000 2014's total. I haven't heard of an actual production total yet. It also seems that the Chieftains are the hardest of the 2014 Chief series to find right now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Howdy Folks,
Regarding the hard shift from 1st to 2nd: I bought my Chieftain in January and experienced this for the first few thousand miles, and then it faded away. So I thought it was just a break-in thing, however, it was also warming up as Spring came on. Now that the weather is cooling down again I'm finding that the hard shift has returned, the effort increasing the colder it is. At 20,000 miles it is clearly not a break-in issue. I'd guess it has to do with cold oil and a wet clutch. After that first high effort shift all is well.

I think the 5-year warranty was to get folks to take a chance on a new design, its probably too much to expect that Polaris would make it standard; who else offers a 5-year warranty on any kind of vehicle?

There really doesn't seem to be that much difference between. the '14 and '15 Chiefs.
--- Randall
This morning I passed 1600 miles and it was about 46 deg. Fahrenheit. It was the first time I have had hard shifting in my whole 4 or 5 weeks of having my Indian.

To the topic at hand, I would take the extra money and warranty. As one person said, the difference in price for paint doesn't even compare. By the way I have had zero issues with my paint. I knew it may be an issue, and like you I was considering a 2015 vs. a 2014. I took it home after a great ride and washed it and put two coats of wax on it. I thought I might see swirl marks, but it hasn't been an issue yet. The paint looks great and I have washed it twice and waxed it once since then.

By the way, I was recommended to use Maguiar's Ultimate Detailing Spray so I don't have to wash it all the time. It's an issue with darker paint, sine all the dust shows up.

Eventually I plan to paint it on vintage colors with a touch of custom, since she don't need much to look like the jewel that she is.

The leather was treated by the dealer before I got it, since they have great customer service. I have noticed a scuff in the leather twice, but that is me nitpicking, I guess. It could be from a shoe or something, but I don't know. It blends well enough to just add character to the distressed leather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts