Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else amazed that Polaris has been able to keep this bike under wraps this long? Considering all the people involved in this project, and the masterful marketing releases they have been teasing the press with, you'd think someone would have leaked a spy shot or some details by now.
oh well, come on August!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think the employees must be taking a great deal of pride in this new bike. 'Keeping the secret'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No surprise. Polaris has a stellar history when it comes to keeping secrets. Although...I was working in Spirit Lake this week. The weather was beautiful and I noticed a couple of the overhead doors were open. I think I could've wandered in and seen something before being told to leave...but I'm not much for being 'that guy'. Aug 3rd will be here soon enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whole 'unveiling' process is kind of silly to me. why not show what you are developing to get folks interested instead of some stupid 'wait for' date.

Guess what, I'm getting ready to buy a new bike, but I'm not interested in waiting to see the great and powerful Oz.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
16088 said:
The whole 'unveiling' process is kind of silly to me. why not show what you are developing to get folks interested instead of some stupid 'wait for' date.

Guess what, I'm getting ready to buy a new bike, but I'm not interested in waiting to see the great and powerful Oz. 
There are a few of us that agree with you, but you kinda hafta acknowledge reality too. What's arguably the biggest biker event of the year? Sturgis. Guys are going to be standing shoulder to shoulder by the thousands to see the bike unveiled. The lines to demo ride them will be longer than the lines at Space Mountain for the rest of the week. Half a million bikers will be there and I bet almost all of them mention or talk about it at least once. Had they just gone ahead and unveiled the bike on facebook as soon as they finalized the production model months ago none of that would be true. I'd rather they just show me the damn bike, but I gotta hand it to them, the marketing of this has been masterful. Far beyond anything I thought they were capable of. And that's coming from a fan!
Indian's been 'relaunched' multiple times now. Never anything close to this much anticipation. Not only is a large portion of the biker community skeptical about Indian due to past failures, but a large number of them are skeptical about Victory. NOT an easy crowd to impress. But what they did with that motor, what they did with the Munro Special...some of the biggest skeptics are now anticipating the release more than anyone. That is amazing.
Somehow, someway, the same outfit that brought you 'Fuel It' for a tag line has managed to hit a grand slam homer past the upper decks and out of the park marketing the new Indian. I'm no fan of waiting but I do give credit where it's due.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...creating energy, excitement, buzz like this thread, that is what this is all about...I agree with iabob, in some respects, but the reality is interest creates, momentum, and a successful launch requires momentum...Sturgis is a great forum for the launch...and Polaris has used the Indian History to tell a story...good on 'um...in the bike lives up to the spin, it will be interesting to watch the ...Biig 3...' American built brands and what happens in the market...hoping to get a glimpse at AVR...maybe?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
16088 said:

It happens on so many products, hard to imagine being irritated by it. Wonder what the next iPhone or iPad versions are like. How about the 2015 Corvette? If you're not willing to wait a couple more weeks to see what the details are of the next Indian Chief, you're not really that interested in the first place.

Me, when I get to thinking about a new iPad or something similar, I look at the calendar, read a few websites and decide if I'll make a move or wait for the next version. Simple, not silly.

The opposite of this is Moto Guzzi. They have such a long history of lifting their skirt to see what might be on the road 1 to 3 model years off, it drives Moto Guzzi owners and dealers nuts. They showed the 1200 8V engined Griso 2 full model years before the bike was available. That effectively ruined the market for the various V11 Sport models. Same with their Norge model. You can likely still fine new or nearly new 2009 to 2010 1200 Norges available because everyone new the 1200 8v engine was going into the bike.

I'm a salesman. I need to sell what my company has available now, not what may or may not be available next year. Just the way it works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@labob and Chicago_Mark

I agree with you, my statement is just my thought about it. I know how important the marketing aspect is, and bob mentioned some stuff I didn't even think about.

I'm willing to bet that if they showed you pictures at least, the hype/excitement would still be high.

Like I said, I'm looking for a new bike now, and I wish Indian was telling us more, maybe then I would wait.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They aren't going to sell any Indians if they don't get a good dealer network for them. I asked my Vic Dealer if he was going to sell them and he said no because of the costs involved to meet all their demands. (seperate buliding for Indians, can't be in the same building as Victorys ) He has been a good Vic Dealer since the begining, if he isn't going to sell them, who is? We are only a few weeks away, where are the dealers?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bike spyshots are easy to contol when compared to auto's / pickups. In addition, it would almost be easy to hide an Indian ~in plain sight!~ as 99% of America couldn't tell a 2014 Indian from a 1974 (insert your fav brand of bike here). Add a little road grime,,,, hardly anyone but an Indian fan would give it a 2nd look in a parking lot. Riding down the road, even less of a chance of recognition,,, I'm sure there are at least a couple out there already with thousands of public road miles on 'em ,,,
I remember reports of 'V' shaped tailights on a pair of unique baggers with MN plates out in Vegas just before the X bikes were introduced.

I believe it's actually easier to 'conceal' a 2014 Indian than it ever was hiding a Cross bike.

IMHO, most riders think 'that's an old bike of some kind' when anything with Indian on the tank rolls by. All of em pretty much have the same 'theme' throughout the past decades, and the 2014 won't be much differnt at first glance. An X bike? Many riders could take one look and say 'haven't seen anything quite like that'...

Probably why I'm not buying into 'brand reconition' with Indian over Vic. In the last 15 years, Indian hasn't sold diddly compared to Vic. If they 'brought back' an all-new Packard, Studebaker or Edsel, would folks flock to buy one over a Hyundai, Kia, or other 'relative newcomer' to the Auto world?

A few might,,,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
14423 said:
They aren't going to sell any Indians if they don't get a good dealer network for them.  I asked my Vic Dealer if he was going to sell them and he said no because of the costs involved to meet all their demands. (seperate buliding for Indians, can't be in the same building as Victorys )  He has been a good Vic Dealer since the begining, if he isn't going to sell them, who is?  We are only a few weeks away, where are the dealers?
Polaris is claiming there already will be 150 dealers (including 7 who will add Indian to their H-D dealerships) stateside and another 60 internationally by the end of the year, with more being added every month. That's enough to get an idea how popular the bike is. If it proves to be very popular look for fence sitters to start jumping off the fence to get a franchise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I talked to my dealer as well and they aren't classy enough to get Indian even though they seem to being doing good with Vic. Salesman said they had sold more Vics by May than they did all of last year and that was before there demo rides. I know Polaris is trying to upscale Indian dealerships but honestly I don't want to pay extra for boutique style dealerships. I want knowledgeable staff and good service beyond anything else. Small parts of the country need to combined dealership in order to make it profitable as there isn't enough sales to keep separate showrooms going. Polaris needs to look at that, yes big cities you probably could get away separating the two and eventually making it profitable. I like my dealer and if I decided to buy Indian would like to continue supporting them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
14423 said:
. . . (seperate buliding for Indians, can't be in the same building as Victorys ) . . .
That's not correct. Indian is imposing specific requirements for the showrooms (and I'm sure they're not cheap), but the bikes can be within the same building as other brands as long as the Indians are kept separate and properly displayed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen alot of complaints on the various vic forums about liitle two bit dealers. I think polaris is trying to make sure that the same thing doesn't happen with indian. I think they want to make sure a dealer is really going to be able to make customers happy and project a good image. Not a dealer where you have to wade through ATV, Vics and maybe yamaha or whatever in a crappy dirty show room. I think they are doing it right. I do know that my local dealer will me selling indian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
10476 said:
I've seen alot of complaints on the various vic forums about liitle two bit dealers. I think polaris is trying to make sure that the same thing doesn't happen with indian. .
If that's the case, why are they letting it happen with Victory?

I've tried to get excited over Indian,,, Just not able to do it,,, If a nekkid Indian is 19K and there are only 150 dealers in the nation, eh, I'll pass.

If we want to make some VERY LOOSE comparisons to HD,, eh, <em>a nekkid bike</em>, dang, maybe a Fat Boy????. 17 k. Probably a 'closer' comparo in overall style may be the Heritage Softtail @ 17.600 (except you get bags and windshield with the HD) Probably the 'closest' comparo may be the Road King Classic for 19,800. Yes, that's 800 more than the nekkid Indian but you'll never put comparable guards, bags, or shield on the indian for 800 bucks. Probably not even 1800 if Indian prices its accessories as high as Vic does.

Never owned an HD, and not frothing at the mouth to buy one,,, just making some very loose comparisons of sorts with our 'choices' Polaris is talking about. Y'all are welcome to flame me as you wish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
16088 said:

Silly? You're talking about it aren't you. They have 'showed' us what they are working on. We've all seen the videos of that gorgeous 111 motor. They have gotten folks interested in the new bike to be unveiled. That is exactly what their marketing campaign has been and continues to be all about. It's anything but silly. It's masterful marketing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's what I found....
Motor...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJIiyt-PXU
Sound...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=YwD-3p2hiGU&feature=endscreen

And of course the have that shadowd' profile pic...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
15166 said:
If that's the case, why are they letting it happen with Victory?

I've tried to get excited over Indian,,, Just not able to do it,,, If a nekkid Indian is 19K and there are only 150 dealers in the nation, eh, I'll pass.

If we want to make some VERY LOOSE comparisons to HD,, eh, <em>a nekkid bike</em>, dang, maybe a Fat Boy????. 17 k. Probably a 'closer' comparo in overall style may be the Heritage Softtail @ 17.600 (except you get bags and windshield with the HD) Probably the 'closest' comparo may be the Road King Classic for 19,800. Yes, that's 800 more than the nekkid Indian but you'll never put comparable guards, bags, or shield on the indian for 800 bucks. Probably not even 1800 if Indian prices its accessories as high as Vic does.

Never owned an HD, and not frothing at the mouth to buy one,,, just making some very loose comparisons of sorts with our 'choices' Polaris is talking about. Y'all are welcome to flame me as you wish.
I don't want to pull you away from The Vog but if you want to know the scope on what to expect from the Indian re-launch, the dealerships requirements, and the events surround Indian Motorcycles in Sturgis go here:
http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/07/12/the-all-new-indian-chief-launch-the-clock-is-ticking-what-you-need-to-know/

1 - 20 of 32 Posts