Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
So...since we know you have already thumbed through it...what is your opinion?
If it written in a way that you need a dictionary or must read a sentence first, look at the bike...and then read it again (much like a HD manual)? Or have they written it in a way that makes it truly usable?

Please let us know.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shop manuals are just that....Shop manuals. They are complete and contain repairs specs schematics and tolerances for professional mechanics and shop personnel.
They are not written with the weekend DIY.."last week I couldn't spell mechanic, now I are one" type of person in mind.
Just like any other technical manual for any other field, they are written with the professional in mind, and as long as you stay within your field, the "shop manuals" are not difficult to understand at all.
If you want a DIY instruction book, that is what you should buy.
No offense intended......JMO

·
Founding member
950 Posts
I disagree with previous comment. Common sense tells you if in over your head. I haven't reached that point yet. It's the desire to know how Indian works not rocket science. Not cheap but very well written. If you want a challenge read a BSA service manual printed in England. I always did all my own repairs on bikes. If it goes in for service that would be a first for me in 30 years. Not being cheap just paranoid of guys messing with my baby. You spent 20k on a bike I say buy the manual.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I disagree with previous comment. Common sense tells you if in over your head. I haven't reached that point yet. It's the desire to know how Indian works not rocket science. Not cheap but very well written. If you want a challenge read a BSA service manual printed in England. I always did all my own repairs on bikes. If it goes in for service that would be a first for me in 30 years. Not being cheap just paranoid of guys messing with my baby. You spent 20k on a bike I say buy the manual.
I am a retired auto mechanic and have bought the service manual for every bike I have bought new. I just like to know that when I do a job I do it right. Sometimes you can create your own shortcuts by having the info in front of you. Informed choices are just better.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I bought my manual right away when I bought my Chieftain. I read most of it. There are some things I have issues with. The wording is a little off in some areas. I would say it isn't as easy to read as a Harley manual......but then again I have been reading H-D manuals for 35 years and I remember that I had to get used to them too. The wiring diagrams do leave a little to be desired. I didn't think that they were too clear. The diagrams seem small and only have black and white. There is generally no better choice than a factory manual though.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Shop manuals are just that....Shop manuals. They are complete and contain repairs specs schematics and tolerances for professional mechanics and shop personnel.
They are not written with the weekend DIY.."last week I couldn't spell mechanic, now I are one" type of person in mind.
Just like any other technical manual for any other field, they are written with the professional in mind, and as long as you stay within your field, the "shop manuals" are not difficult to understand at all.
I have spent the last 30+ years as an electrical engineer. While I can read and make sense of the HD manual....I really don't like the verbiage it uses. This is the reason I asked if it was written in plain English or in the language only a wrench would understand. While I will probably use the overpriced service provided by Indian for the initial period.... it will come to a screeching halt soon afterwards. I see no reason to pay ridiculously high charges to do something I can ( and have ) done my self for the last 40+ years.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
723 Posts
To all... it is a "copy" of the real shop manual. Not sure how legal it is but sometimes you can see where the original pages were a bit crooked on the old xerox machine. Not a genuine item but a copy of the genuine item.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I will make this one of my next purchases. Key you should fix what is within your abilities without screwing it up so bad a mechanic charges you double to repair. I am still looking for the one you can color in the pages with crayons.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you met a lot of mechanics at dealerships? I have and let me tell you - if they aren't writing service manuals for people who could'nt spell mechanic last week, they should be - a lot of them are absolutely clueless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts