Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 1753 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Ok I have heard it mentioned in a Motorcycle magazine review, and now there is a member on here who was complaining of excessive engine " valve" noise. I believe in the motorcycle magazine they referred to it as a brick being tossed about in a clothes dryer! There was also a member who claimed the valve noise occured mostly when not putting a load on the engine ....."gave him a headache." .
If you have had to deal with this ..please post! What was Indian's solution??

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all,

Ok I have heard it mentioned in a Motorcycle magazine review, and now there is a member on here who was complaining of excessive engine " valve" noise. I believe in the motorcycle magazine they referred to it as a brick being tossed about in a clothes dryer! There was also a member who claimed the valve noise occured mostly when not putting a load on the engine ....."gave him a headache." .
If you have had to deal with this ..please post! What was Indian's solution??

I havent heard about any noise on the other Indian Forums maybe some one from a HD forum started it, where did you hear about the noise?
Afterfour(Rick)

·
Registered
191 Posts
:confused:You want to hear some valve noise, you got hear my HD Cvo 110 that machine can make you think you have a bowl of rocks!

·
Founding Member
431 Posts
I'm up to 1,800 miles and no valve noise. That person must be just stirring the pot because this motor is much quieter than my 106 in my Vision.

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
3 Posts
I heard a little bit of valve clatter out of the one my partner has. Nothing worth mentioning though. Still quieter than any HD top I've heard but louder than a Goldwing. Of course a mouse farting is louder than a Goldwing.
EASY

·
Registered
47 Posts
no bricks, no rocks but the motor does quiet down after break-in... gas mileage goes up also.... exhaust is just so quiet you can actually hear the motor....

Reactions: Hawghauler

·
Registered
208 Posts
:confused:You want to hear some valve noise, you got hear my HD Cvo 110 that machine can make you think you have a bow of rocks!
No kidding, my Twinkie 110 was loud as hell. I think noise is dependent on what you are used to, but the TS111 is quiet compared to my 110 as well. Also keep in mind that many of the initial reviews were of preproduction bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello All,

YesI hope that the noise was mostly from Pre-Production bikes. The other report was from the "Ride Forum": on this website posted by Czeeb.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello All,

YesI hope that the noise was mostly from Pre-Production bikes. The other report was from the "Ride Forum": on this website posted by Czeeb.
That was his first and only post. I'm on 3 different Indian specific forums and I haven't run across anything like he is describing. I'm not discounting he might have something wrong, but who knows at this point. Hopefully he'll come back and fill us in on what is going on.

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's some valve noise in the top end....about the same as my 111 S&S. At 6,0000+ miles on #806... I don't have any worries....bike runs like a champ. Would like to see some software upgrades with the throttle / brake code that comes up in heavy traffic while lane splitting ...throttle response goes dead for a second go two...annoying. Not a flyby wire fan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw the review comments from the beginning. Don't have a lot of mileage on yet. There's a bit of valve noise at idle. Haven't noticed anything at speed. Waiting for the MPGs to go up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gjsmith, that throttle response may be due to the rear brake, somewhere in their software settings you can't be on the gas and the brake at the same time. Next time your out give it a try, just enough on the rear brake to turn on the light and you will have almost dead throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Matoska, yep I'm aware that the software is causing the error code with rear brake & throttle. I think it should be rewritten..slow speed maneuvering ..rear brake,clutch & throttle..stands the bike up. My Road King..Dyna..handle better in dead stop traffic because of this. Got over 6k on the Vintage now...think it's a great bike,but would like to see software upgrades in the near future. I can only guess thats in the software to prevent abuse..etc
... The dead throttle thing could be dangerous in split second maneuver..been riding since '68 ...got a few miles in ..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the new Indians don't sound like the old ones. On a hot day, the clanking valves and heat from rear cylinder can make waiting for a light unpleasant. Valve noise, with proper clearance, has always bothered me on both of my old Chiefs and other flathead bikes. Hot re-starts can also be difficult.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some odd clattering last night upon de-trailering - just picked up new yesterday. Will expect to subside with break-in, and will closely monitor. Props to Duane Hernsley in Elizabethtown PA - great shop, great people and great buying experience.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I only got a chance to put 212 miles on my Chieftain before winter closed in on Northeast Ohio , and I haven't heard any such noise, even when I was doing demo rides pryor to ordering mine !

1 - 20 of 1753 Posts