Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
From The Factory:

<iframe src='http://www.youtube.com/embed/4XheeEX00t4?wmode=transparent' frameborder='0' width='550' height='438'></iframe>

<pre>Chieftain&trade;
Starting at $22,999

The 2014 Indian&reg; Chieftain&trade; is in touch with its past, but far ahead of its time. It&rsquo;s the
first Indian Motorcycle ever with a hard fairing, hard saddlebags and unprecedented
new comfort and convenience features. It&rsquo;s like no Indian Motorcycle ever seen before,
yet its style makes clear it has the DNA of a legendary Indian Motorcycle&reg;.

Up front is an aerodynamic fork-mounted fairing with integrated driving lights and LED
turn signals. The Chieftain&trade; houses extensive digital instrumentation &ndash;
including tire pressure monitoring &ndash; and an audio system with high-output speakers.
Use the integrated Bluetooth&reg; smart-phone connection to tap into your phone&rsquo;s
music playlists. Raise and lower the power-adjustable windshield with the push of a
button to customize airflow and protection &ndash; a first for any fork-mounted fairing.

The spacious hard saddlebags are mounted on quickrelease anchors and feature
remote electric locks you control with a console mounted button &ndash; or a convenient
key fob.

Of course, the Indian Chieftain also features iconic Indian Motorcycle elements
such as valanced fenders, a rich genuine leather saddle, and the lit War Bonnet
atop the
front fender. It also has extensive chrome, keyless ignition, ABS, cruise control,
throttle by wire, and an innovative cast aluminum frame with integrated air intake.

Powering the new generation of Indian Motorcycle riders down the open road is
the Thunder Stroke&trade; 111. This smooth, powerful and efficient new engine
combines both style and power, with engine finning inspired by Chiefs of the 1940s.

We made the Indian Chieftain about a comfortable ride and cutting edge technology.
Now make it your own with Genuine Indian Motorcycle Parts & Accessories and
you&rsquo;ll never be without what you need, whether touring your town or this great country.
Same Features as Indian&reg; Chief &reg; Classic:
-Thunder Stroke&trade; 111
-Keyless
-Extensive Chrome
-Indian Motorcycle&reg; Badging
-War Bonnet
-Valenced Fenders
-Brake Caliper Covers
-Center Console
-Laced Wheels
-5-Year ESC/Roadside Assistance
Plus
-High-Output Audio
The fairing houses an audio system that delivers clean, quality sound from dual high-
output speakers. The aerodynamic fairing with a power windshield blocks wind to
allow you to enjoy your highway playlist without interference.
-Audio Bluetooth
The integrated Bluetooth&reg; smart phone connection makes it easy to run music
stored in the phone through the Indian Chieftain audio system. Playlist info is
displayed on the multi-function display screen, and switches near the handgrip
make it easy to control the audio.</pre>

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I have to admit, this one has potential as well. I would want the brown leather seats rather than the black it comes with and also wish it had spokes as an option as I prefer that look. I sure hope they get more local dealers onboard as the on in Toronto is definitely not high on my list of places I would deal with.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
When you look at it front on I see Vision kind of. This looks to be a great bike. Has many items I want on my CCT. no fair lol

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at these new Indian models that are supposedly a complete redesign, sure makes me wonder why the could not have given the same attention to the controls on some of the Victory models, such as the switches for the cruise control or the heated grips and driving lamps on the cross roads and cross country, they look like an afterthought, whereas on the Indian they are nicely integrated into the package.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
9098 said:
Looking at these new Indian models that are supposedly a complete redesign, sure makes me wonder why the could not have given the same attention to the controls on some of the Victory models, such as the switches for the cruise control or the heated grips and driving lamps on the cross roads and cross country, they look like an afterthought, whereas on the Indian they are nicely integrated into the package.
My thoughts are that Victory always intends on stripping down bikes to an entry level, whereas Indian will always be premium level and parts built for that exact purpose

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I see a big influence from the X bikes in the hardbags. Hopefully they will use some of the Indian improvements, especially the fasteners, in the X bike.

An Indian needs to stay an Indian and a Victory needs to stay a Victory. But they can benifit off each other in some areas.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
The Chieftain fairing looks to me like it belongs to the Vision's granddad....I just haven't decided if that's a good thing or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I love the look and all the goodies they put on the Chieftain.

The MSRP is actually $500 less than what they had on my 2011 Silver/Black Vision.

I do have some unanswered questions;

Do the Indians have internal handlebar wiring?

What types/sizes of helmets will fit in the hardbags?

I also can't tell if the shifter is a heel-toe type?
There isn't an option for one which would be a dealbreaker for me. (foot drop)

How many miles on an oil change and what grade does it use?
Is the Indian motor/tranny like the Victory's where the oil is shared by both?
Is the Indian oil/air cooled like our Victory's?

No HID headlight, even as an option is surprising.

Looking at the options available right now, they seem to be priced very competitively with Harley and Victory.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see trading my Vision in on one any time soon but I wonder how many of the 'improvements' will make it over to a future Vision. Things like central locking, keyless start and better integrated stereo/cruise controls have been a few of the things Victory owners have asked for in the past. Maybe next year will be the year of the 'new' Vision?

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
My initial reaction to the Chieftain fairing was that I hated it. However, it is starting to grow on me. Not sure if I would trade in my XR for one yet but the more I look at what you get for the price the more I like.

I was watching the video and noticed that, unlike the Cross bikes, you can run it without the bags on. That is a great feature that I wish my XR had.

<iframe src='http://www.youtube.com/embed/4XheeEX00t4?wmode=transparent' frameborder='0' width='550' height='438'></iframe>

Two things will keep me waiting on buying a new Indian. First my son is a Senior this year which means college isn't very far away. Second, for now anyway, the closest Indian dealer is 133 miles away while the Victory dealer is only 44 miles away. The 5 year service contract is very appealing with that far to travel.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
The closest dealer to me is 544 miles away, so I guess i will just have to wait and see how it shakes out with them adding dealers to their network.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
It is a beautiful bike. I wish my XCT came with some of the features like keyless ignition, chrome control housings and other things that are standard on the Indian. I have a feeling that a lot of Victory owners will make the switch.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
the more i look at it, the more I think the front fairing is simply awesome!, with integrated turn signals and super retro flowing lines, it is basically going to completely destroy/anihilate/vaporize any harley on a side by side and in person comparison!!!

I must also add that apes or mini-apes like the highball is going to be super indescribably cool!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts