Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried lowering a Chieftain? What handling issues are there? This kit is offered on eBay, not much information.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Be careful about how you lower the bike. Lowering the back without a corresponding change to the front will alter the factory trail...and handling. The impact may be minimal or not depending on the amount the rear suspension is lowered. Do we have any "engineers" here that would care to elaborate?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Be careful about how you lower the bike. Lowering the back without a corresponding change to the front will alter the factory trail...and handling. The impact may be minimal or not depending on the amount the rear suspension is lowered. Do we have any "engineers" here that would care to elaborate?
Thanks! Just wondering what the down side would be and if anyone out there has personally tried this kit and was it worth the trouble.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I lowered my Victory High Ball 1.5" - 2" and the handling really didn't change. What you will have to do is stiffen up the spring and probably add air to the max. This was just so I didn't bottom out on any bump and if you like to 2-up...forget it. Once you lower this it will probably become a solo only ride. Personally I liked it and the look.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response, I do ride with the wife so we won't be making any structural changes. The Chieftain probably has enough travel to pull this off, but having to stiffen up the ride isn't very desirable. There is a lowered seat on the way that should bring the ground a little closer although both feet are currently flat on the ground now. It's just that a 850 pound ride is a little intimidating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone tried lowering a Chieftain? What handling issues are there? This kit is offered on eBay, not much information.
installed a 1 1/2 inch lowering kit from dirty bird concepts , I didn't notice any handling difference , it takes about an hour to install ,removing the battery box is tricky. I think it feels better under hard braking than stock, no more feeling like I'm going over the bars! Go to your local Indian dealer , most of them stock this kit.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was it a 2014 Chieftain? Did you have to alter anything else?

·
Registered
364 Posts
i lowered mine with the dirty bird setup and love it. I'm 5'6" and now sit flat footed with tennis shoes on at a stop light. Didnt seem to have any affect on the handling. I run 10lbs a of air solo and ninety when there's two up

·
Registered
748 Posts
i lowered mine with the dirty bird setup and love it. I'm 5'6" and now sit flat footed with tennis shoes on at a stop light. Didnt seem to have any affect on the handling. I run 10lbs a of air solo and ninety when there's two up
Just received a kit from VicBaggers. They accomplish the same amount of drop as the DB set but are 25% cheaper.

They also have the wire tab like the OEM that is missing from DB.

Will be installing "shortly" ...pun intended...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey Jamie, I just sent an email to Tylerconcepts asking about the feasibility of an inch drop in the front. Then realized that you are likely Tyler Concepts.

So is there hope?

·
Registered
11 Posts
For the members out there that have installed the lowering kits did you do the work yourself or leave it to the professionals? I'm looking at doing a dirt bird kit wondering if anyone's willing to share the instructions so I can gauge if its something I can do myself.

·
Registered
433 Posts
They say you can go down 3" on these bikes without too much change in ride. I did 1.5 inches on my Vintage. I did see in my dealer a slammed Vintage and the guy loves it!

·
Registered
748 Posts
They say you can go down 3" on these bikes without too much change in ride. I did 1.5 inches on my Vintage. I did see in my dealer a slammed Vintage and the guy loves it!
I would think you would need something like the Dirty Bird peace pipe exhaust to do that (3 inch drop). I did the Vic bagger kit and it's the max I think you can get with OEM exhaust.

Unless you don't plan on making any turns

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Vic Bagger on my Vintage. Also air ride conversion from a Roadmaster. No ill affects at all.

·
Registered
748 Posts
For the members out there that have installed the lowering kits did you do the work yourself or leave it to the professionals? I'm looking at doing a dirt bird kit wondering if anyone's willing to share the instructions so I can gauge if its something I can do myself.
I'm lazy so I won't search and list each thread on the two forums where you'll find this info. I would assume however that there won't be a single comprehensive step by step that will satisfy you completely.

When I did mine there were at least a couple of approaches used. One from the top and one from the bottom with swing arm removal.

Mine ended up being a hybrid in that I loosened the battery box (top) and removed the rear wheel (bottom). It worked best for me.

Not sure how to rate the difficult...guess I would call it extra medium. I assume this would go for several hundred if done by the dealer.

Also would go with Vic bagger piece. It's cheaper and better cause it comes with the tab the hold abs line like OEM

1 - 20 of 60 Posts