Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm so so tired of this issue, my 2014 indian chieftain instrument cluster fades in and out intermittently at times, I've try everything, die Electric grease, contact cleaner, Took it to the dealer, they re flash my bike, what the hell, Just bought this bike, just hit 18k, love the bike, but hate this shit....I really don't want to pay $800 for a new cluster but at this point I think I will. HELP someone

·
Rider
546 Posts
I think you may be on the right track with replacement, there were some issues on one of the control modules on early bikes with the terminals where the wires connect have gone bad. Not sure if that's been a cause for your issue, but it's worth having the shop check it out. Good luck

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you have a electronics tech near you would be worth will checking for dry joints causing intermittent contact. Does the fault occur more often when warm or bumpy road surface varying vibration?

·
Registered
309 Posts
If it occurs from vibration then it is probable there is a bad contact, loose wire or a dry solder joint. If there are no loose connections or arc marks then a electronics tech would be able to resolder some of the joints

·
Registered
299 Posts
Okay, I'm so so tired of this issue, my 2014 indian chieftain instrument cluster fades in and out intermittently at times, I've try everything, die Electric grease, contact cleaner, Took it to the dealer, they re flash my bike, what the hell, Just bought this bike, just hit 18k, love the bike, but hate this shit....I really don't want to pay $800 for a new cluster but at this point I think I will. HELP someone
Have you checked to see when your bike was FIRST sold? Indian offered a 5 year warranty for the 2014's. When I bought my first Indian a couple of years ago it was a 2014 Vintage and some members here told me about it and I called a couple of dealers who first told me that it did not apply to me. Then the members here told me to try a different dealer and SURE ENOUGH...its a one page form that they fill out and the warranty was transferred to me. So depending on when your bike was FIRST sold new, you might still have some warranty left on your bike for just this kind of issue.

Hope it helps
John

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try this. Disconnect the battery and unplug your vcm and check for burnt pins. The newer bikes have a ground strap on the vcm to help with the ground circuit.I have seen some vcms burnt that started with dashs going on and off.

·
Silver member
5,098 Posts
I would talk to your local dealers. As mentioned some of the early ones had this issue. Indian might actually replace it for you since it is something they know about. They don't want unhappy riders. Especially for things that should never be an issue in the first place. It's not like the speedo is a wear and tear item...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts