Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is driving me crazy, I change out the battery, brand new check my ground wire that's bolted on to the bike frame coming from the battery negative line, So my middle cluster at times fad in and out. Then it goes back to normal ride for hours no problem, this morning I turn the bike on in the garage and if I put my hand behind my cluster lightly it fades in and out , Help please someone, I don't see or feel any wires loose ? My email is [email protected], Thanks

·
168 Posts
My 14 sometimes did the same thing. all the wiring is plugged in to the back side of the cluster in 1 large connector. I solved the infrequent issue by pulling the plug and putting a small amt. of di-electric grease on each wire connector . then just re connected the wiring harness connector securely into the back of the cluster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So pull the plug that's behind the instrument cluster on the fairing and the one that connects on top of the battery? And where can I pick up this di Electric grease? Thanks please email me back I greatly appreciate this help, Mike
[email protected]

·
Bronze Member
1,701 Posts
Most big auto store chains have dielectric grease by the headlights or at the counter because the new high-end halogen\zeon bulbs require it.

You can get it in either a tube or squeeze packet. (it looks like a little ketchup or mustard packet)

·
175 Posts
Good idea with the grease.

I had problems with my 2014 Chieftain cluster as well. It would fade out after sitting parked in the sun for a few hours and slowly fade back in when I was riding again.

A couple years ago, a battery problem (or something else) threw a poltergeist into my cluster. While in Nevada riding towards Oregon, my instrument lights started flashing off and on and all my gauge needles would bounce from left to right. In the middle of Oregon, headed towards Idaho, my battery died and I had to get a new one when I got to Idaho.

Heading towards Utah, all my gauges and lights went out completely. I stopped at Indian in SLC, they said nothing was wrong and re-flashed my bike.

I rode from SLC to Tucson with no gauges or dash lights, the whole cluster was completely dead. However cruise control and stereo kept working and the motor pushed me all they back to Tucson huffing and puffing.

The dealer had my bike for two months trying to figure it out before they finally replaced the cluster under extended warranty. I don't like the fact that a new cluster cannot be calibrated to the bike. I had 60,026 miles on my bike when this happened, new dash showed 0 miles. Now my bike has about 73,000 miles but only shows 12,283 miles. Pretty much wiped out any resale value.

After I got my bike back from the dealer it started dying at irregular intervals at the most inconvenient times. I think a standard Indian tune was flashed over my stage 2 tune but was told that didn't happen. After 3-4 months of dealing with a dying bike I contacted Craig B who pointed me the right way with a PV3 and a custom tune.

Haven't had any dash or engine problems since. Not sure if the two issues were related but they seemed to both have been alleviated.

Sorry for the longwinded reply. This Chieftain has been the best and worst motorcycle I have ever owned in more ways than one.

·
175 Posts
I think it is just a bad design of the instrument cluster; it doesn't like direct sunlight. My new dash fades in and out in direct sunlight as well.
An Indian stage 2 reflash didn't improve the poor engine performance.
The Fuel Moto PV3 and custom tune brought all my mods, (intake, exhaust, cams) together and made my bike run and perform better.
I don't think it did anything for my electronics or dash. My fuel mileage has decreased.
I may be mistaken, (this occurs more often, the older I get, ha!), but I think both problems, dash failure and engine performance, occurring at the same time was coincidental.
I would suggest a new dash but as I stated, my new dash fades in and out like the original one. I wonder if Indian will come out with a flash mod that adds additional, selectable colors for the dash. That could be an improvement.

·
168 Posts
I doubt if you will see any upgrades for the 2014 and 2015's Just been too much time.
My dash on my 14 acted the same way yours did , even in the same states! Twice mine acted up like it was possessed when riding near Vegas, Seriously thought it was area 51 interference.
. The connector on the back is not a very secure or tight fitting and di electric cleared it up for a long while. It was always working when I got close to a dealer. So never had it looked at.
Traded for a 2019 Chieftain but the 14 still had the extended warranty in effect and 100K on the odometer. 2nd Best bike I have ever owned, yes the 2019 is better, more refined than the 2014 and for 33K it's been flawless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts