Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here it is from my perspective. The New Indian is an eye catching machine in its entirety but somewhat brutish compared to an X country or dare I say it a Kings Mountain Indian. They have captured the essence of the 50s Indian but seem to have gone a tad overboard with dimension. Sort of like the bicycle with balloon tires look. Although only a mere 2.5 inches shorter in the wheel base the Chieftain has a visibly stubbier look than the Vintage. Of the three models the Vintage struck me as the best looking overall.
Having just ridden the 1000 miles out here to AVR on my CCT anniversary edition I was able to look at it from a different point of view. That is would the Chieftain be a lateral move as a 2 up tour package in comparison. The answer is No. Subsequently I have written my dealer and canceled the order for a Chieftain. I’m not bashing the New Indian I am simply looking at it for what it is in comparison to what I already own. I traded both a 2012 Ness Vision and a 2008 Harley Ultra on Geronimo and have never had a moments regret. I would be hard pressed to trade either of those bikes alone for the Chieftain.
Although individual components such as brake and shift lever, handlebar controls and rear brake fluid reservoir are superior other areas are not so much. Without going into great detail the Leather is not up to expectation and the paint is definitely not at the level of previous models. Black however looks good.
Will the new Indians sell? Like hotcakes I am sure. Are they a replacement for a Vision or CCT? In my opinion NO. These bikes will find their own demographic and surely have a delighted customer base but I would be surprised to see HD owners switching in droves. My assessment does not take ride which by all accounts is excellent into account and refers only to my particular circumstance and experience looking at it as a replacement for a current ride and not as a standalone purchase of a primary ride. I have come to the conclusion that at this point at least these bikes are not a serious threat to Victory or HD.
Give them a couple of model years and my tune may change but as for now, It just don’t float my boat.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As of today, it is an incomplete version of the Cross Country. No lowers and no tour pack. The thing that is surprising me are all the comments about the cramped leg room. I am wondering if the Cross bikes have spoiled us? I have stopped into two dealers to talk about the bike but will not commit to anything without riding it.
I love the looks (in pictures), but I feel like it is about a $1500-2000 premium for what you are getting. Not bad at all, just saying I'm gonna need to justify that in my head.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look nice, but don't think I'd ever buy one. I watched Victory for 14 years before I pulled the tigger. Mostly because I couldn't afford a new ride for that much until now. I never buy the first year of anything. I've been in manufacturing my whole life and issues ALWAYS show up after the production run, and problems always show up in the field no matter how much intensive testing is done. But someone has to buy the first model year and I don't criticize them. If I had spare cash, I'd buy one just for my great grand kids to fight over after I've rode off to that great Ride in the sky!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you done a test ride yet Bobby ?
The review or ' opinion ' you have posted is a good write up but is this just based on the ' look ' of the Chieftan ?
If the Chieftan came with a trunk like your CCT would that change it into a ' touring ' bike like your CCT ?

We all know looks are subjective, I personally do not think the Indian looks anything like the Victory, and I also think a Victory buyer is not looking for an Indian.

When I bought my Kingpin I was not looking for a Vic at all, I was in the process of buying a HD Road King, stopped in the Polaris Dealer and fell in love.

And farings and trunks are for old guy's anyhow, that's why I bought the Vintage.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you guys just have to get out there and try these machines,,, those of us who have can talk for hours on what we experienced , liked and disliked.bottom line is , great looking bikes, powerfull as all hell, fun to ride, low center of gravity ( vic similarities on handling ) . garage queen people should love this machine,,, with the looks, heritage, ride , & price, plus a 5 year bumper to bumper wauranty, seems like a no brainer. just wish i had another 20 grand kickin around. oh by the way, barring a mirage of major malfunctions my vision is here to stay !

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1169 said:
And farings and trunks are for old guy's anyhow, that's why I bought the Vintage.
Mike: You made the right choice of model and color. But for me another Vintage would be redunant and I just can't get next to the Chieftain. It may grow on me but the fairing is just strange on an Indian. Future lowers may blend it into the bike better.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
14125 said:
plus a 5 year bumper to bumper wauranty,
Maybe I'm confused about this, but are you sure it's a five year bumper-to-bumper warranty? From what I'm to understand, yes it's a five year warranty, but it's only the first year is a factory warranty and the balance is an extended (third party) warranty. Please correct me where I'm wrong but like Victory (and other brands), the first year is not a true bumper to bumper warranty and the exclusions are wear and tear items. The remaining extended warranty is far from bumper-to-bumper and is not handled by the factory, and it's from a third-party. This is common in this industry.

The only automotive product I've ever purchased that included a true bumper-to-bumper warranty was a Volvo as it included wear items such as windshield wipers and even service items such as oil (yes, I said the three letter word) and only excluded tires.

If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected, but let's set the record straight.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1317 said:
Mike: You made the right choice of model and color. But for me another Vintage would be redunant and I just can't get next to the Chieftain. It may grow on me but the fairing is just strange on an Indian. Future lowers may blend it into the bike better.
Lowers and a trunk will at least be closer to a CCT than it sets now, but i'm sure these bikes look better in person than in the pics, just like Vics do.
And two Vintages in the same garage doesn't make sense to me either, can't ride two at once.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got to admit, I'm having trouble keeping the enthusiasm down waiting for my Chieftain to come in. You guys are right it's different from the Vic's BUT it's very rideable and comfortable. Handles extremely well as would be expected from a Polaris built machine. I have to admit, I'm trying to convince my wife that I need to keep my XR just in case. I really love that bike but can't wait for my Chieftain. That discussion isn't going in my favor at this point. Maybe if I bought her a new washer and dryer or vacuum she'll come around...just kiddin'.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe a new washer with a little bling packed inside might sway her ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bobby,

I don't think your review should be considered unpopular, just honest from someone who has two bikes that meets his requirements.

Just because everyone doesn't fall in love with a product shouldn't be a negative and honestly, should not sway someone who's considering one. Only YOU know what floats your boat and who gives a damn what others think as long as it makes you happy.

Also, for those expecting the same paint and leather quality from a $20000 bike you got with a $30000+ machine I think you need a dose of reality. What it has to beat is the direct, current competition from Harley, not a custom, hand built bike that's no longer in production. Besides, with the $10000 you save you could get some killer paint and custom leather work done.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still waiting to hear if they have cleaned up their wiring, connectors, routing and switches. Like some have posted, some like the look, some don't, what ammendities suites one wont' suit another.

But regardless, a $20,000 bike is not a $30,000 bike, but that's no excuse for poor workmanship or corner cutting. HD puts out a $20,000 bike that has extremely high fit and finish, no reason Vic/Ind can't

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1310 said:
I'm still waiting to hear if they have cleaned up their wiring, connectors, routing and switches. Like some have posted, some like the look, some don't, what ammendities suites one wont' suit another.

But regardless, a $20,000 bike is not a $30,000 bike, but that's no excuse for poor workmanship or corner cutting. HD puts out a $20,000 bike that has extremely high fit and finish, no reason Vic/Ind can't
I guess fit and finish are also in the eye of the beholder. I never felt my '10 XC had a fit or finish problem. To me it seemed on par with what Harley was delivering at the time so it's all relative.
I'll say one thing for sure, the corrosion and rust ALL bike experience when you live this close to the ocean was a lot lower on my XC than on any of my previous Harley's.
And remember, I'm not a brand fanboy, I just tell it like I see it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey andy your absolutely right,,, that line about the 5 yr wuaranty was part the sales pitch along with a bunch of other info to each group before we went out on the test ride. i was'nt signing any contracts or reading fine print,,, just repeating what i was told. not sure if it was just a one time offer on that day or not. its probably on the internet somewhere ? and yes setting the record straight would be nice as that would be a huge incentive. my homework stops here as i am not interested in a purchase.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From their website.

<span>5 YEARS [OF COVERAGE]: 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY + 5 YEAR EXTENDED SERVICE CONTRACT SUBJECT TO $50 DEDUCTIBLE WITH NO MILEAGE LIMITATIONS.</span>

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob,
Thanks for the review. I have to agree with Candubrain Polaris should step it up in terms of fit and finish. These bikes in my opinion are of no treat to HD. What about dealership network? For us in Canada presently only one dealership. HD is not asleep at the wheel here. Wait a few weeks for the release of the HD bikes and let's see how many riders switch over to Indian.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am looking forward to riding the Indian line up in the near future....it will be interesting to see the ride difference - Chieftain vs Vision.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
8903 said:
Bob,
Thanks for the review. I have to agree with Candubrain Polaris should step it up in terms of fit and finish. These bikes in my opinion are of no treat to HD. What about dealership network? For us in Canada presently only one dealership. HD is not asleep at the wheel here. Wait a few weeks for the release of the HD bikes and let's see how many riders switch over to Indian.
I disagree with this statement, Ontario isn't Canada. There are 2 dealerships in Alberta, one in Ontario, One in Quebec

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to chuckle at you guys talkin' up the Harleys superior build quality. Now, honestly there is no way Indian/Victory is going to beat(outsell) Harley at it's own game. Harley has perfected the art of polishing a turd for many years. Some of you older riders might remember when Harleys leaked oil, parts would fall off if not tightened regularly, dealers were the last place a 'real' biker would go for service. You might remember the late 90's early 2000's with the waiting lists and MSRP + pricing. Now, for anyone who cares to do some research, look up when Harley started putting tires wider than 130 on the rear of thier touring bikes, when they started putting REAL brakes on thier bikes, when they started adding horsepower to thier bikes. I wish Indian/Victory would not mention Harley, seems to me Harley can not compete with Indian or Victory in power (horsepower per dollar), reliability,or cost of ownership, this is what I would be touting without mentioning the competition. Maybe I'm one of a kind, but, the way I show my individualality is by not riding a bike 200,000 other people are riding. Ride what ya like, like what ya ride, but don't use this board to tell others what they should like..........

Kevin

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kevin,
I tend to agree with you but some clarification, new Harley's will still puke parts, even if they are installed correctly. I've been hit by a gas cap, the rear section of a heal toe shifter and numerous pieces of chrome do dads that have flown off Harley's I've ridden with just in the last 10 years. This is not exaggeration, this shit happened and all the bikes were in good mechanical working order and serviced regularly. Not saying it doesn't happen with other brands but I can't recall ever being hit with a part from a Goldwing or a BMW.......
As for riding a bike 200,000 others ride, you need to add a comma and at least 3 more zeros to that number. There are well over 4 Million Harleys on the road, (some of them have even made it home...... <wink wink> )

1 - 20 of 36 Posts