Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

BEST CRUISER

INDIAN CHIEF CLASSIC
AN AUTHENTIC AMERICAN ALTERNATIVE, AT LAST

Not to take anything away from Victory, which builds a full line of great-looking, technically sophisticated, functionally capable motorcycles, but for the vast majority of buyers, the search for a heavyweight cruiser begins and ends in Milwaukee. No matter how competent, classy, or affordable Victory bikes are, they still can’t match the aura or allure of Harley-Davidson’s century-plus heritage. Victory remains the pragmatic choice, not the romantic one.

Now that Victory’s parent company Polaris has revived Indian—America’s first and oldest motorcycle name, pre-dating Harley-Davidson by two years—there is finally another American-made motorcycle that has the technical chops and the historic pedigree to stand toe to toe with the monster from Milwaukee.

The Chief Classic is a stunning first effort from this newly revived nameplate. The Thunder Stroke 111 V-twin dwarfs its competition in both displacement and power output with a rich character to match, and the chassis turns and stops better than any 800-pound, 68-inch wheelbase bike has a right to. But what really makes us love this machine is the authentic and inimitable Indian style captured by those graceful, deep-skirted fenders. Everyone notices this bike, and, more importantly, a surprising number—both young and old alike—know exactly what it is. The game is definitely on.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nickj, I've been forwarding these accomplishments to all my motorcyclist friends. Impressive that BMW (for a smaller cycle company) won 3 top places with BOTH Cycle World and now Motor Cyclist - BUT EVEN MORE impressive that Indian won best cruiser with both magazines in their first year of production! What an incredible accomplishment! And also very cool that Steve Menneto won the award for "Motorcyclist of the Year". Very well deserved.
I can't wait to see the 2015 awards - I'm SURE that our Scout will be in there somewhere! :cool:

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I think 2015 will be a good year to buy a cheap 2nd hand HD..... that is, if you still want one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Indian Chief Vintage comes with key-less safety features to make the ride carefree. The bike is powered by 1811 CC engine that gives better mileage with manual transmission.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's not just Harley losing some sales. I was planning to replace my 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 with something bigger. For over a year I had my heart set on a Triumpth Rocket III. That changed when I saw the Indians at Roar on the Shore this year. I just purchased a Roadmaster and love it. I have looked at all "American made" bikes and this is the only one that has caught my eye. Victory may have but the style was a little off for me, they look cool, but there was something. Honestly, looking at the Indians in pictures I was not interested, had to see live. Indian is going to take sales from all makes. That Scout is something I would like to have as a second bike, trying to convince my brother to get one of those. His last 2 bikes Honda and Yamaha, he's really interested. Harleys look cool but I don't like to get what everyone else has. Same reason I'm not a Steelers fan (at least part of it)!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts