Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, took my 2014 out for a spin yesterday and noticed my speedo is not working. Is this a common fault or is there a fix you could share with me. Very low miles and I only use it is good Irish weather. Any info or advice appreciated - It is not due a service till the end of the season (sep/oct here) regards John

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It's not common compared to the number of bikes out there but several people on here have had speedo failures. When I had a Scout they replaced it under warranty when it became very erratic.

What part of yours is not working? The speedo needle, the odometer, info screen, any warning lights? It might be a symptom of bad battery connections (very common) and not the speedo itself.

If it's just the needle that's not working it might be the rear ABS sensor that has got some metallic grit in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not common compared to the number of bikes out there but several people on here have had speedo failures. When I had a Scout they replaced it under warranty when it became very erratic.

What part of yours is not working? The speedo needle, the odometer, info screen, any warning lights? It might be a symptom of bad battery connections (very common) and not the speedo itself.

If it's just the needle that's not working it might be the rear ABS sensor that has got some metallic grit in it.
Thanks - The ABS light is on and remains on and the needle is not working on the speedo. Is there a way to clean the sensor? I would be delighted if it was a simple fix. I have a few bikes so the Indian is treated like a baby and only has 5k miles on it so I was very surprised with the problem. regards John

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Here's the link to the service manual. It has info on the sensor in there - search it for 'wheel speed sensor'.

Sometimes they go out because they pick up a bit of grit and it can't read the pulse ring. It operates magnetically, not by shining a light through slots as some systems do. It should operate if it gets muddy but some road grit is metallic and can interfere with the Hall Effect sensor.

It's also worth checking that the connection where it plugs to the bike is not compromised.

Other times they fail internally and need replacing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the link to the service manual. It has info on the sensor in there - search it for 'wheel speed sensor'.

Sometimes they go out because they pick up a bit of grit and it can't read the pulse ring. It operates magnetically, not by shining a light through slots as some systems do. It should operate if it gets muddy but some road grit is metallic and can interfere with the Hall Effect sensor.

It's also worth checking that the connection where it plugs to the bike is not compromised.

Other times they fail internally and need replacing.

Thanks for the help - I will take a look and see if there is anything I can do without going to dealer. Cheers John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts