Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased these lights (Headlight & Driving lights) for my 2014 Chieftain
https://www.vicbaggers.com/product-page/7-led-headlight-with-driving-lights

The headlight was plug and play and seems to run without issue. When I connect the driving lights though, they do not come on at all. I've read about needing a VCM flash or resisters but in all the posts I've read it was an all or nothing and not the situation I am having.

I don't want to leave the stock driving lights in with the LED headlight but at this point, it's my only option if I want to use the driving lights.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well I have a 18 and installed lights without issue. Not trying to undermine you but are the plugs going the right way... and did you try hitting the aux light button a few times. I don't know what your plugs looked like but I had to make my own plugs since they weren't made yet from kuryakyn or anyone else

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts

The headlight was plug and play and seems to run without issue. When I connect the driving lights though, they do not come on at all. I've read about needing a VCM flash or resisters but in all the posts I've read it was an all or nothing and not the situation I am having.

I don't want to leave the stock driving lights in with the LED headlight but at this point, it's my only option if I want to use the driving lights.
My understanding is that the reduced amperage draw of the LEDs throws a code on the 2014 ECU. I have encountered the same problem with Chieftain #873. Apparently you must either replace the ECU with one calibrated for LEDs ($600) or wire resistors into the circuit to match the calibrated draw. Could be someone here can tell you how much resistance is needed. I find the quartz- halogen lights to be pretty good (and don't ride much after dark anyway, so haven't bothered).
--- Randall

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding is that the reduced amperage draw of the LEDs throws a code on the 2014 ECU. I have encountered the same problem with Chieftain #873. Apparently you must either replace the ECU with one calibrated for LEDs ($600) or wire resistors into the circuit to match the calibrated draw. Could be someone here can tell you how much resistance is needed. I find the quartz- halogen lights to be pretty good (and don't ride much after dark anyway, so haven't bothered).
--- Randall
I'm not getting a code. The headlight works perfectly fine, the driving lights just won't turn on. I tried toggling the driving lights button a few times and nothing. The connectors are made to only plug in one way and as soon as I remove the LED driving lights and plug in the stock lights, the stock lights go right on.
I was assuming none of the lights would work without the flash, if that was it but I'm not sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Well I have a 2014 Chieftain, #68 and the dealer said it would need a replacement ECU. Perhaps as they produced more they changed the ECU. I don't know. Mine cannot be flashed. Some LED lighting comes loaded for the 2014.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
735 Posts

I have a '14 and the flash took care of the LED "problem". Here is my post:
https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/t...r-chieftain-today.18737/page-183#post-2737684

·
Registered
55 Posts

I purchased Hogworkz brand LED light set from J&P and it worked beautifully in my 2015 model. No need to modify the plug-in or electronics. This setup cost about $275 more than a similar generic brand on eBay that a friend bought for his Harley, which worked fine for him, but I was skeptical. I guess I am saying that if you bought a low end brand, it might be your problem.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I bought SuperbriteLED replacement bulbs, see how that goes as I have a new VCM (recall) so with the latest and greatest VCM, it should be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out, I had plugged them in backwards. Would have been nice if that wasn't an option but after enough unplugging and plugging back in as I was trying out a bunch of resistors, it turned out just being a backwards plug. Felt pretty stupid

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Turns out, I had plugged them in backwards. Would have been nice if that wasn't an option but after enough unplugging and plugging back in as I was trying out a bunch of resistors, it turned out just being a backwards plug. Felt pretty stupid

It's ok as it's the only way to learn.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,814 Posts

Its hard to forget that for decades, one never had to worry about polarity with an incandescent bulb.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Have any pics of lights installed and running? Looking to upgrade my 14 Chieftain. Also, completely plug n play?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have any pics of lights installed and running? Looking to upgrade my 14 Chieftain. Also, completely plug n play?
I'll try to get a picture in the morning. They are very bright, quite the upgrade. All 3 lights were plug and play once I got them plugged in the right way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not a great picture but it was pitch black without the light.

I couldn't get a picture of the lights without just being washed out

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's not a great picture but it was pitch black without the light.

I couldn't get a picture of the lights without just being washed out

Definitely looks bright. Have googled it to see how the lenses look installed but cant find anything. Have been considering the halos but, not sure thats my style. My driving lamps are led but not headlight. The uneven bugs me.

Not a great pic but, you can probably see what i mean? Hi then low beam

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Definitely looks bright. Have googled it to see how the lenses look installed but cant find anything. Have been considering the halos but, not sure thats my style. My driving lamps are led but not headlight. The uneven bugs me.

Not a great pic but, you can probably see what i mean? Hi then low beam
Got a few decent shots. The brights turn on the bottom circle in the headlight, that's the only difference. 2 pics without brights on and 2 with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts