Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. My bike is throwing 2 codes(SPN-FMI) 91-3 and 65613 - 2 , which respectively translate to Throttle position sensor 1 low voltage and Throttle position sensor Correlation fault. Had the dealer put it on computer mech and following these additional codes showed up: accelerator position sensor 1 low voltage and accelerator position fault. In reading the forum thought maybe the battery was bad, dealer put it on their battery check and it came up as replace battery ( I'd replaced the battery two days earlier with a auto stores replacement ) So I bought the yuasa from them , slow charged, and put it in. worked great for 2 days then back to limp mode on start up and displays one of the 2 codes above. This started a while ago but turning off then restart would go away. then Occasionally go away and run fine. to 98% of time always on. Check the wires their good ( no chaffing) , checked and cleaned the Throttle control module in the air cleaner ( it was clean and the gears were fine) . A couple times the throttle would operate the butterfly valve perfectly until I tried to start then throws engine light and limp mode and locks down the butterfly valve (sigh) So my question is anyone else experienced this, heard of, and what is the solution?

Until recently it had never happened at speed but after new battery the third day it went in to limp mode. I restarted it a couple times and it started with it's happy song and I took it for a couple mile highway run and it clicked into limp mode at 60. got on to the berm and restarted so I was able to get across expressway to right lane before it limped out again. Exhaust is non stock and the only engine change (2years old) when this started. I recently put on a S&S air cleaner , The original had been fork oil infused from a bad seal. I just broke 30k on the bike. Please help, my Harley friends are giving me terrible advice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not to give bad news but I had similar codes on my chieftain and turned out to be a fried ECU.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. GW, The terminals are all tight and all other controls are in the green. CP96 where is the ecu hidden at? The electronic parts of this are the ECU, Throttle , Throttle Command Module and VCM all are depressing $ but the throttle one is truly disturbing since it requires purchase of entire rh controller instead of the rheostat unit. Which I can't find. Any Idea where to find one. as it's just a mechanical device. It appears that the TCM is a bosch product and if it wasn't working or showing no signs of wear I'd replace with bosch part for 1/3 the price from Indian. Unfortunately not sure if reflash would be required. DO I need to install a Power commander ? Will this bypass the ECU And VCM or do the PCommanders work in conjunction with same? I know there's a lot of room for performance on these bikes as my old dealer(now closed) did a reflash with the exhaust change. Gave me better acceleration, a little less at the top end (120 vs 124) and 2 or 3 miles less per gallon. ( my be my got go now problem) Any advice on any of these ? ? I'd like to keep this bike and keep plugging for the brand my parents dated on in the 40's but this electronic gremlin will have me back to BMW or Goldwinging it in no time. My other dependable ride is a 1985 K 100rt with bullet proof electronics at it's age and low miles (80k).

·
Registered
300 Posts
The ECU is under the seat on top of the battery.. The Power commander works with the ECU and won't have any effect on your bike if you do in fact have a fried computer..
You may or may not have the same problem i did but my indian dealer couldn't figure mine out and had to have indian engineering themselves look at it. My bike was throwing low voltage codes and they checked everything, the problem was that the problems it was showing all showed the right voltage with a voltage meter.. Im not saying thats what your is forsure, but I would probably bring to a dealer to make sure, because if it is they will have to flash the computer to make it compatible with your bike, unless someone there knows more about that sort of thing then me.. I cant really help you much with the other things you asked..
Also, Mine would throw itself into limp mode.
Its very annoying to 35mph on a busy highway.
Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is indeed annoying in limp mode. Have an appointment in a few days for the gear indicator recall and for them to look at this. Thanks for the help. I'll post what the finding is.

·
Bronze member
1,814 Posts
Have you inspected the connector pins /sockets on the ECM? Harley had this widespread problem with pins from the fly by wire corroding, causing low voltage and limp mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for suggesting. And I have. Those pins have been checked, lightly scraped, and electronic cleaner cleaned. Worked for a start or 2 but then back to throwing the 2 codes. Anxious for the Indian mechanic to work on it. Same one that did the exhaust is working at my new dealership so he'll have the flash the old dealership (closed) did to the bike. I wonder if this problem is occuring often enough for a recall. Sure is scary at speed. I'll update as I get an answer. My hope is reflash corrects problem. 2nd desired option is ECU, but the way things are going recently will be the most expensive option is the rh hand control. What's the chances the dealer will have an ecu to swap test with?(LOL rhetorical ?) I'm sure once installed it's mine.with the the new rh control body. Just going to change my handle to cash station.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for suggesting. And I have. Those pins have been checked, lightly scraped, and electronic cleaner cleaned. Worked for a start or 2 but then back to throwing the 2 codes. Anxious for the Indian mechanic to work on it. Same one that did the exhaust is working at my new dealership so he'll have the flash the old dealership (closed) did to the bike. I wonder if this problem is occuring often enough for a recall. Sure is scary at speed. I'll update as I get an answer. My hope is reflash corrects problem. 2nd desired option is ECU, but the way things are going recently will be the most expensive option is the rh hand control. What's the chances the dealer will have an ecu to swap test with?(LOL rhetorical ?) I'm sure once installed it's mine.with the the new rh control body. Just going to change my handle to cash station.
This really does sounds like the exact same problem that I had.
They flashed the ecu, rode it around a bit and called me said it was ready to go. I got there, signed the warranty stuff, went to start the bike and put itself back into limp mode before I got it on my trailer. So yeah they were confused.
Just make sure they are certain they fixed it before you take it back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks CP. I'll definitely want to get a test run before I pay the bill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all who chimed in Okay, so this is what was done to get this thing out of limp mode. What I did: Replaced the fork seals. New Battery, replaced air filter, thoroughly cleaned every connector, port, and sensor in the intake and the connectors at the voltage regulator. Finally was able to get the butterfly valve to operate. (no check engine light) then started bike with throttle held half way. A burst of good sound, left off throttle right down to idle no check engine light. rode the next 40 minutes to the dealer ( had 2 recalls , check the problem, and do a reflash) no problems. turned it off while I checked in and went out to check it 15 minutes later, no check engine light and fired right up. A couple hours in their shop the recalls completed, hidden codes checked (100's as I'd repeatedly on and off till no check engine light to get the throttle to work) no sign of check engine light . Mechanic reflashed it anyway and as it's mostly stock all good with me. No problems with starts since, but I'm watching for it. No I idea what I did that what went right but really glad I'm out of Limp mode. Interesting thing with limp mode is you can shift fairly quickly up to sixth( up shift when you fell it stop accelerating) 1,2,and 3 are quick, was able to get to about 45 but felt like getting a locomotive up to speed, I used my flashers as I left red lights.. I experinced no shift stalling or high gear low rpm bucking. Good luck to you if this happens to you. 2 months intermittent problem, 1 month of almost constant problem. 3 months of poking, proding, researching, cleaning, and inspecting. Hope it's all over, only been 2 days. I'll repost if something else occurs. Thanks Again

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had similar problems with my 2014 Chieftain over the last 5 years. went through eveything you talked about. As of 2 months ago it is running good. The problem with mine was the fuse block. the spring tension holding in the fuses were lifting up while riding.The mechanic took it out and tightened up the fuse link that hold the fuses in place, especially the two circuit breakers. Like I said so far so good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks CP. I'm glad that it's not something fried also. Still running great. FB what a unique solution that is. How many part swaps did you get through? I was fortunate mine just was deep cleaning ( under the shade tree) and a reflash from the dealer. Knocking on wood it's gone forever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well an update. 4 days after this last post the bike went back into limp mode. I got it out was out for a 1/2 hr ride and blew my horn. Back into limp mode. Limped to the dealer it cleared on the way there, blew the horn and back into limp I went. Indian suggested inspecting the wiring in the handle bars. My mechanic was reluctant to attempt plugged around on the computer for a bit and got it out of limp mode and I can blow the horn. Did 2 6hr days and no problems. Well almost none. my pass code stopped working and I can't get it back and It took a bit to get into the clock to reset. the right button is being finicky. probably why I can't access the pass code reset. Will update again If I discover the root gremlin. Cheers and Keep 'em runnin".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts