Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed both Hogworkz headlamp and passing lights after checking with manufacturer to see if they would work on my yr/model. The install went well but after the install, I pushed start button (which lit up) but once I hit starter switch all power goes out The
battery is fully charged and has been on battery minder.
Checked all fuses and all ok. Pulled all relays and checked resistance and all ok. Replaced all fuses & relays and bike powered and started right up. Went for long ride and then put back on battery minder.
I went to start today and same exact thing happened ... power switch illuminated then power goes out after starter switch depressed.
Any ideas or experience with this issue? Thanks!

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
My first guess would be a short in a light or its connector. The headlights don't turn on until the motor starts, so perhaps hitting the starter is when the bike knows about the short. It doesn't have to be a full short to ground to upset the VCM, if it reads a slight change in resistance or voltage drop it will see it as a problem. Even a damp connector can make the VCM throw a tantrum.

I'd disconnect the new lights and connect them one at a time to see if the problem occurs or not.

My second guess is to check the fuses etc that you replaced. Which one is faulty? That might lead you to a solution.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Another thought ...

The fact that it started OK when you changed the fuses but then failed after the bike stopped is unusual. However, you say you put it on the battery minder, so that makes two changes that need to be separated out for fault finding.

What battery minder do you use? Is it suitable for the kind of battery in the bike? The bike is 2014 so it's likely the battery has been replaced since new, and battery chargers/tenders/minders do different things according to their type. And they need to be suitable for the battery type - lead/acid, glass mat, lithium etc. Make sure yours is matched to the bike battery.

Swap the fuses one at a time and get the motor running again. Then stop and start it without the batter minder. Does that work? If it doesn't, and a fuse is gone again, what fuse is blowing?

The first advice you got here was to check battery terminals are tight. They are famous for coming loose. Have you checked them? Also check the ground wire to frame connection.

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
561 Posts
That’s very odd as I installed the Hogworkz Halo headlight and driving lights in my RM this past summer - no issues at all!

Reactions: BapaLO

·
German Rider
1,789 Posts
Wasn't there a flash for the ecm that without it will give you problems with LED lights on the early models ? Done ? Besides that, it would be best, to reinstall the OEM lights, check and if everything is okay, change only one by one. Replace one, check/test and so on. Trial and error. And for sure the tight battery cable check.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry if I'm late to the party ..... If you want to upgrade your lights, you'll need to upgrade the ECM for them to work properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts