Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for help, I had a dealer tell me that only factory H4 headlight bulbs will work in the headlight with no errors, cant believe that an aftermarket H4 headlight bulb form any auto parts store would not work as long as it is the same, Halogen.

·
Founding member
1,276 Posts
Not true... I use Sylvania 9003 Xtravision Halogen Headlight Bulb in mine and they work excellent. Longevity and cost aren't the greatest, but I prefer these over going to LED. Any H4 should work.

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
Key is the Wattage/Load!

Conventional branded H4 bulbs are all the same wattage on high and low beam.
(There are a few high power "aftermaket" exceptions, but usually they draw MORE than is good for some harness/wire gauge and calling them H4 is incorrect!)

LED bulbs with a H4 connector do NOT comply in regards to wattage/draw. They draw much less amps to the extent that early Chief (2014) VCMs were thinking there is NO bulb and tripped a CEL. In 2015 both VCMs and their programming has changed, so that H4 LED bulbs and H4 LED enclosed lamps/housings run well without codes.
(and with early 2014 VCMs you can run any low wattage LED with a small trick called load resistors which pull enough draw to make the VCM think you have conventional H4s in place)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts