Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the different color and two tone selections added to the 2015 line up, are there any mechanical, internal or electrical improvements that the 2015 models have that the 2014's don't. My dealer is selling me hard on a 2014 Chief. Thinking maybe he just wants to blow last years bike out before too many 2015's arrive.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The only difference I know of is the addition of an air scoop located just behind the A/C, funnels more air to the back cylinder. They will be available to all 2014 owners as an add on. If you want one I'd recommend ordering asap, maybe you'll get it by Christmas, if you're lucky...:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Besides the different color and two tone selections added to the 2015 line up, are there any mechanical, internal or electrical improvements that the 2015 models have that the 2014's don't. My dealer is selling me hard on a 2014 Chief. Thinking maybe he just wants to blow last years bike out before too many 2015's arrive.
I bet that he is trying to get rid of last year's model, but there are some pluses and a minus to the new 2015. I don't know if he will (or Polaris will) honor the 5 year warranty, because the offer on it was supposed to expire in September. Also, the leather is "improved" for 2015 as well as the paint. I have heard on this forum that it looks more like pleather. However, I rode the 2015's for 2 days and I love the look of the leather, and they supposedly do not have the fading problem, and the paint is improved. I think they added a couple of coats of clearcoat, but I can't be sure on exactly what was done. . . I was told "The paint is harder". The owner of one of the 14's told me that if you just wipe it with a microfiber cloth, you will see scratches in the paint. That seems a bit extreme, but why would he lie? Maybe he didn't wash the dust off and the dust put scratches, but I don't know.

The paint and leather are supposed to be improved, but I don't think there are changes to the motor except for the air scoop mentioned by Indijoe.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Cams on 2014 may be a big issue with the decompression problems , beware!!
Could you expand on that. I have not heard of any problems with cams or decompression problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm struggling with major engine noise and very little help. It seems my noise may be coming from decompression device used for start up on exhaust cams? Trying to find some help

·
Registered
268 Posts
This was on the Indian website this morning:

*Indian Motorcycle[SUP]®[/SUP] backs every new 2014 Indian Motorcycle with 5 years of coverage that includes both a 1 year limited warranty and an extended service contract. Subject to $50 deductible, no mileage limitation. Offer ends October 31, 2014.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I heard that for 2015, Indian made a change or update to help with the clunk in the shift. The only thing heard about decompression and top end noise was mostly online complaints, and no one has ever come up with anything that has fixed the problem. People are blaming the decompression device for the noise, but I haven't read why they believe that. I think they have to have something to blame it on. Another rider I traded bikes with thought my bike was louder than his. This noise is mostly a normal noise that riders have a hard time accepting for the most part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The cams are manufactured by S&S and utilize their "Easy Start" technology. The exhaust cam lobes are equipped with a spring loaded compression release lobe in the heel of the cam at the point where the valve would normally be fully closed. The lobe holds the exhaust valve open slightly at cranking speed. This releases some of the compression, making the engine much easier to crank. Once the engine starts, and the rpm increases, the compression release lobe is centrifugally retracted and the engine runs normally with full compression.

Sometimes when the engine comes to a stop the spring loaded compression release lobes make a clank noise when extending, depending on the rotation of the cam at rest.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm struggling with major engine noise and very little help. It seems my noise may be coming from decompression device used for start up on exhaust cams? Trying to find some help
Good luck with the help! I'm going through the same issue.Indian is not going to own up to the problem,it would be a PR nightmare admitting there's a engine problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good luck with the help! I'm going through the same issue.Indian is not going to own up to the problem,it would be a PR nightmare admitting there's a engine problem.
Sorry but I'm beginning to worried…this issue is really or not? I rode a Chief on a test drive and I don't hear engine noise...

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you look through the forums Skydiver, you will see that some have the issue while others do not. One person said that it was his cylinder cover which was loose, and once tightened, it solved the problem. I plan to buy the service manual with mine, and check tightness on all fasteners (which should be done on the 500 mile service anyhow).

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you look through the forums Skydiver, you will see that some have the issue while others do not. One person said that it was his cylinder cover which was loose, and once tightened, it solved the problem. I plan to buy the service manual with mine, and check tightness on all fasteners (which should be done on the 500 mile service anyhow).
Thanks, yes, but I read that someone is very angry, because, he said, the factory and the dealers don't want admitting an engine problem, and this isn't an issue that is resolved with tightened a couple of screws.Problems about hydraulic lifters, decompressor, tensioner, chain, valve, cams, ecc..what's true or false?

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I haven't heard of ANYONE have a fix, or found what the issue is. I believe many are just over sensitive to the top end ticking. I listened to it for the last year. After 5500 miles, I rarely notice it anymore and believe much of it is normal Thunderstroke sounds. Ride it for a couple of years and if it doesn't break, it's supposed to sound like that. If it is making as much noise as some of you are claiming, it won't last long. Myself.....I am not worried.

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
Thanks, yes, but I read that someone is very angry, because, he said, the factory and the dealers don't want admitting an engine problem, and this isn't an issue that is resolved with tightened a couple of screws.Problems about hydraulic lifters, decompressor, tensioner, chain, valve, cams, ecc..what's true or false?
Yes, there have been a few who have expressed anger on the board, that is their right. I can tell you this from my experience, my bike will make a rattle noise intermittently and then it goes away? That noise sends some guys over the edge, some it doesn't. The TS111 is a huge air cooled V-twin with lifters, push tubes, rocker arms, etc. and it's going to make some noise.

I have been on multiple Indian forums and I have not heard of one TS111 engine failure that could be attributed to cam, push tube rocker or valve failure. Matter of fact, I can't seem to recall reading about any TS111 failures?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have 4400 on my Classic and there has always been some sewing machine noise, especially when the windshield is on directing the noise to my ears. Never any engine code. A friend has 15000+ on his Vintage and the noise is more than new and he laughs when asked about it. Indians engines never fail and he rides his bike constantly and hard. Only time andmiles will tell.

·
Registered
425 Posts
People seem to be speculating that the issue is compression release, but nothing verified / corrected & tested, etc. yet. Be careful with what you hear on forums. Some are just venting, some are speculating, and some are just lying (sniping?).

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
The cams are manufactured by S&S and utilize their "Easy Start" technology. The exhaust cam lobes are equipped with a spring loaded compression release lobe in the heel of the cam at the point where the valve would normally be fully closed. The lobe holds the exhaust valve open slightly at cranking speed. This releases some of the compression, making the engine much easier to crank. Once the engine starts, and the rpm increases, the compression release lobe is centrifugally retracted and the engine runs normally with full compression.

Sometimes when the engine comes to a stop the spring loaded compression release lobes make a clank noise when extending, depending on the rotation of the cam at rest.
That is the best explanation I've seen of how the decompression set-up works. I've been looking at the service manual, and have seen the photos of the split-gear cams and springs, but the manual doesn't explain how, exactly, the system works. This makes sense, thanks.
--- Randall

1 - 20 of 32 Posts