Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this and what are the cons of doing it. I just got the new Darkhorse that I traded my Harley Streetglide in on. I know the most restrictive part of the Harley exhaust is the Cat.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
cat got your torque? Seriously though that thing is permanently in the header pipes and nothing short of destroying it will remove it. I would look for an aftermarket header set and keep the originals intact just in case the govement starts checking bikes for noise and exhaust emmisions.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,075 Posts
Howdy brenna,
You could get a short section of 1 3/4" exhaust pipe and take it to a muffler shop to have the ends flared and slotted. It would most likely be illegal, but it would be hidden under the exhaust pipe shroud and not too obvious. Honestly, though, I've installed the Stage I mufflers and the free flow Indian air cleaner with the computer flash, and the performance is amazing, even with the catalytic converter.
--- Randall

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have seen it done. Some have actually cut an opening into the converter, mashed out the guts and welded the cut out piece back on. A lot of work but if you have the resources go for it.

Personally I would go along with 3littleindians suggestion and end up with a great sound and better performance.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Has anyone done this and what are the cons of doing it. I just got the new Darkhorse that I traded my Harley Streetglide in on. I know the most restrictive part of the Harley exhaust is the Cat.
Congrats on the DH and WELCOME to the boards.

I would assume you're located in a place that doesn't require emissions testing? If you don't want to destroy the converter there are aftermarket pips that (Dirty Bird Peace Pipes) don't have the converter. If you don't care about emissions testing or paying the price for a new converter then Roadgypsy suggestion wil work fine.

Here is a post where someone modified their cat. Catalytic Converter- I couldn t stop myself Indian Motorcycle Forum

.....and you could use the "search bar" top right and type in catalytic and see other discussions regarding the converters.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. The Indian has lots of power and torque just the way it is. My personal opinion is that we all need to do what we can to protect the environment for our children and generations to come. I would leave the cat alone.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I was the one that drilled the holes in the cat. I need to correct myself. I used a 18"long ceramic drill bit. But it was 1/2" not a 1/4" like I first said. It was fast and very easy. I also removed the wrap from the baffle of my Vance and Hines exhaust. Sounds vicious. I drilled two holes in the Cat. My MPG went from 33.8 to 37.8. The bike is running better and better each time I take it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I previously owned a 2012 Harley Fatbob. I removed header pipe, cut a square out and removed the cat. and wielded back together. After all the i learned that i would have to add a power commander, or something similar, because it was running to lean and my plugs were changing. Totally not worth risking engine damage. I was told that these motors are designed to have that pressure. My 2015 Classic will NOT under go such surgery. Give it some serious thought.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I'm not advising you to do it, just telling you how I did it. Long term who knows? I plan on keeping the bike at least 5 years, that's how long the note is. Unless I blow it up! When I get my Air Cleaner, I will put the PC5. I don't know why I'm wired this way, but if someone says don't do this or that- 9 times outta 10, I'm gonna do it. I will keep you guys posted if there are any catastrophic consequences. Let me add I have no mechanical skills at all. I'm flying by the seat of my pants!! Ride Safe!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts