Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Well here they are. Didnt think they were making them this year...

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/index.php?submenu=Motorcycles&src=gendocs&ref=Indian Chief Motorcycles&category=Motorcycles

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think mama would want to sit on any little pillion pad. I think I will stick with the Vision - LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Click on each model's specifications and the price is listed. They start @ $26,499 for the Classic up to $36,899 for a Two-Tone Vintage.

OR, about $10K overpriced for every model in the lineup vs. what the market could realistically support and that's being generous.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
2610 said:
Click on each model's specifications and the price is listed. They start @ $26,499 for the Classic up to $36,899 for a Two-Tone Vintage.

OR, about $10K overpriced for every model in the lineup vs. what the market could realistically support and that's being generous.
Completely agree. The only reason Indians are considered collector's items are because no wants to pay $30 large for a bike with unique fenders and a fancy seat....don't get me wrong, I love these bikes and their style, but Indian's biggest enemy has always been 'economies of scale' and purchasing power.

Polaris did not buy the brand to sell 9 bikes a year (THANK YOU!!!) so I'm excited to see what happens to the pricing and models in 2013..... I'd be willing to bet that some of the parts/components on those bikes are more than double what are on the Vics. Does the bike REALLY need nickel plated covers? DO you really need Brembo brakes? Do they have wiring harnesses, or is one guy individually wiring each bike? Imagine building a bike a la American Choppers (on a lift, one at a time) vs running down an assembly line in Spirit Lake, IA.

Polaris could easily build and sell these beauties in the mid-teens but they're not idiots, so look for them to be priced next year from $19,999 up to the mid-to-high $20's.....and some people will be very very happy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Like the old ones!

I was walking down main street in Hudson, Ohio - Taste of Hudson on Labor day and looky what I found....:thumbup1:

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
You are right the Chief is worth about 30 grand but that four cylinder is worth over 75 grand. Way out of my price range.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
6163 said:
I was walking down main street in Hudson, Ohio - Taste of Hudson on Labor day and looky what I found....:thumbup1:
This is the bike Polaris needs to build to re-establish the brand, an inline 4 would rock!

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
I think Polaris is just using up old stocks until they can get new material moving. I'd heard somewhere that there was only enough stock to produce another 200 or 300 bikes (which is way more than they can sell in a year, I think).

I agree with the earlier comment that a new Chief with an Inline Four would be awesome, however, development of a new engine and drivetrain from scratch is a daunting and expensive task. Polaris did it before in with Victory, so if anyone can, they can, but There's going to be a run of bikes with the old PowerPlus engine for a while. I do not think you'll ever see a Victory engine in the Indian, despite the fact that the Victory powerplant is technically superior.

Indian is all about a unique and exclusive identity...Polaris knows that and won't screw it up by cross-pollinating recognizable parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
I am sure Polaris/Victory had a good long range plan when they out on a limb to purchase Indian. Victory has a way of figuring out how to do so many things right, and if they can do it with Indian, it would be a monumental achievement. Like so many others, I always liked Indian but the sky high price tag has to be dealt with before they can ever become a mainstream player.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
7717 said:
I am sure Polaris/Victory had a good long range plan when they out on a limb to purchase Indian. Victory has a way of figuring out how to do so many things right, and if they can do it with Indian, it would be a monumental achievement. Like so many others, I always liked Indian but the sky high price tag has to be dealt with before they can ever become a mainstream player.
I've seen a lot comments about the price tag. I think Polaris SHOULD keep the Indian priced as a premium model, but they have to add enough value to it to justify the price. For example, I think a properly engineered Inline Four bike could easily bring 30k. I think the Indian should be a step UP from the top line Harley or Victory. I think they should eliminate low-line bikes like the Scout.

The 10-20k market is pretty crowded right now...I don't think that pie is big enough to try and grab another slice from.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
1861 said:
I agree with the earlier comment that a new Chief with an Inline Four would be awesome, however, development of a new engine and drivetrain from scratch is a daunting and expensive task.
Could the purchase of Motus be on the Polaris wish list?

[video]1509[/video]

Yes, it's a V4, not an Inline 4, but that would expedite things, wouldn't it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts