Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the opportunity to add a 2009 Vintage to the garage. Very low miles. I have a RM but miss the Vintage. I did own a 2014 that I regret sell.

The KM were beautiful bike but are they worth it? So I am look at the 2009 KM or a used 2014 or newer.

All input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
974 Posts
I had a 2009 KM. Beautiful bikes, but had a lot of issues with engine, ECU, battery drain...etc. Mine eventually rode well with Dobeck EJK and several ECU updates from Indian, but always had the battery drain, where it was a hail Marry and prayer before cranking it. Then it started with electrical issues that the "New Indian" dealers could not fix, so traded it in for a a16 Vintage. Beautiful machines but could be ridden with problems.

Less than a 1000 made, so definitely a special bike, but, you would have to decide whether it's worth the hassle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The way I look at it ANYTHING can be fixed. I just bought a KM '10 Vintage. I also have Gilroy's so not new to problem's.The battery drain I'll look into,you can add a cut off relay,or toggle cut off switch (hidden makes it "hotwire" proof),drain can be dealt with a battery tender hooked up when parked at home.As far as other issues,fix 'em as they come along. Can't deny that their one BEAUTIFUL motorcycle!

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
I have a 2010 Vintage, owning it for just under a year. It is a fun ride. And, like @indimike14 says, "One BEAUTIFUL motorcycle!" I get compliments on my Roadmaster, but the KM Vintage steals the show every time. Having said that, I will offer that they are an orphan. NOBODY wants to touch them. Parts are a challenge. Lucky though, the 105 PP seems to be a good design. My only issues seem to be a weak starter and the jack shaft sticks/drags. I have not seen a battery drain but I keep it on a tender. I can see how there might be some problems as the driving lights + headlight have a load greater than the capacity of the alternator. If you run a lot with the driving lights on, you best keep the rpms up. I have changed out the driving lights to LEDs -- a recycling from my Roadmaster. They work great but I get an error code and need to install a resistor.

At first the bike felt under powered which left me a bit disappointed.Replacing the exhaust with dual pipes, adding a different air filter from K&N and a fuel controller from Dobeck unleashed it! The Dobeck isn't a PV3, but it is all that is available. Now, you better hang on when you roll the throttle.

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Rider
974 Posts
I agree with the guys. I do think the KM Indians are very beautiful and cool looking bikes, better than the Polaris (and I own a Polaris now), and the engine itself never let me down, but the week starter (which I also replaced on mine), battery drain (despite always and I mean always being on a tender), plus lack of parts, lack of people who can fix it, became an issue for me.
If you have someone who can fix these bikes or replace stuff....etc, and not being able to crank it after stopping for lunch or coffee during a ride is not an issue, then this is the bike for you because they are definitely one of a kind and gorgeous looking bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts